Martin Butcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a campaign, if I take Strange Solution and identify the solution in the first scenario/act, can I do this again during the second and subsequent scenarios/acts while I am saving up XPs?

One example could be that as Daisy, if I have "Amnesia" in my deck I could wait for it to trigger then spend one action to draw two cards (unless I was unlucky on the test). Am I allowed to do this? I presume I can otherwise the text on the Strange Solution would say something along the lines of "This action cannot be performed if the solution has already been identified in the current campaign".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see any reason why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that example even makes good thematic sense: Daisy has an attack of amnesia and is disoriented. Her attention is curiously drawn to the Strange Solution, and as she investigates its nature, suddenly the whole horrible course of events comes back to her ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange Solution is not a draw engine. You have to spend an action to play the card, then spend an action with a skill test, in order to hopefully draw two cards. Why not just spend those two actions to draw cards?

The point of Strange Solution is to get that campaign note. The cards are just a bonus to make up for the spent actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:
Strange Solution is not a draw engine. You have to spend an action to play the card, then spend an action with a skill test, in order to hopefully draw two cards. Why not just spend those two actions to draw cards?

The point of Strange Solution is to get that campaign note. The cards are just a bonus to make up for the spent actions.

Yep, the point of that card is to get a "permission" to buy upgraded Strange Solutions. That's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it isn't clear, you can get rid of Level 0 SS in favour of some Level 1 or 2 Cards, and buy your upgraded SS cards whenever you want to, once you write "identified" in your Notes. It's possible to use Level 0 SS as in the OP's example, but it's not a reliably valuable card and you don't need to keep it "in order to upgrade it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
In case it isn't clear, you can get rid of Level 0 SS in favour of some Level 1 or 2 Cards, and buy your upgraded SS cards whenever you want to, once you write "identified" in your Notes. It's possible to use Level 0 SS as in the OP's example, but it's not a reliably valuable card and you don't need to keep it "in order to upgrade it".

Each upgrade says "You can only include this asset in your deck by upgrading it from Strange Solution (Unidentified)". So the level 0 must be in your deck to get the upgrades. If you get rid of it, you'll need to buy it back -- 1 XP to get it in your deck, 4 XP for the upgrade.

This means you can also only get a second upgraded version by having a second level 0 in your deck*. You also can't swap between the two higher levels -- each must come from a level 0.

* edit: you can already have it, or you can buy it then immediately buy the upgrade. But you have to have a copy of Level 0 first somehow for each upgraded one you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Each upgrade says "You can only include this asset in your deck by upgrading it from Strange Solution (Unidentified)". So the level 0 must be in your deck to get the upgrades. If you get rid of it, you'll need to buy it back -- 1 XP to get it in your deck, 4 XP for the upgrade.

This means you can also only get a second upgraded version by having a second level 0 in your deck.

Sounds like you could spend 5 XP between scenarios to buy and upgrade a second Strange Solution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xemxi wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

This means you can also only get a second upgraded version by having a second level 0 in your deck.

Sounds like you could spend 5 XP between scenarios to buy and upgrade a second Strange Solution!

Yes, that's legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:

That can depend on the situation. In OP's specific case, they have the Amnesia weakness (which causes them to discard all but one card). So, planning ahead by playing the solution at some point, and then using it after drawing Amnesia to refill their hand may not be a bad use of an action (since drawing a card instead of playing the solution may just mean having an extra card to discard to Amnesia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
cthompsonguy wrote:

That can depend on the situation. In OP's specific case, they have the Amnesia weakness (which causes them to discard all but one card). So, planning ahead by playing the solution at some point, and then using it after drawing Amnesia to refill their hand may not be a bad use of an action (since drawing a card instead of playing the solution may just mean having an extra card to discard to Amnesia).

Seems a bit edge case. And you still have to pass a test (tentacles will appear 90% of the time!) I think I'd rather have the Wild icon; that's useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m assuming that you can only ever get two of the strange solutions as they have the same title and there is a limit of two copies of the same the title. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nomad wrote:
I’m assuming that you can only ever get two of the strange solutions as they have the same title and there is a limit of two copies of the same the title. Correct?

Correct. If you want to maximize your Shrew Analysis, you'll want to grab all 3 of the different unidentified/untranslated starting items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cthompsonguy wrote:
...your Shrew Analysis ...

Legs - 4. Nose - Pointy. Body - Furry. Size - small.

Sigh. I need to wait another week to learn what the new "What the hell does this do" seeker item is.

I'm waiting for one that doesn't ever receive an upgrade - just to mess with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyWBurns wrote:
cthompsonguy wrote:
...your Shrew Analysis ...

Legs - 4. Nose - Pointy. Body - Furry. Size - small.

Yeah, I'm not even going to correct it. Thank you for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.