Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've only ever watched plays and reviews of the other Zombicide games, and I read on the KS "The rules have been optimized to reduce setup time and make the game flow quickly, focusing the action on the struggle between the Survivors and the Xenos." I guess I'm curious how so? If anyone has looked at the draft rulebook on the KS page?

I guess one of the things that was questionable for me from the other games (that kinda stopped me from buying) was game length and downtime between turns. But I love co-ops, and I love sci-fi, and the Zombicide name seems to be doing well? So I thought I'd jump on this one haha. Anyways, thoughts on said "optimization" or thoughts in general about those concerns for someone new to Zombicide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a cursory read-through, but here's what I've gleaned so far that seems like it could make the game "faster" than the previous installments.

Endgame

Looks like now, any starting survivor death will end the game. Not sure if this implies more survivors can be acquired during the course of a game.

You can also lose a game when two more spawn zones are linked by an uninterrupted chain of active mold zones.

Survivor Actions

Survivors can only search rooms that match their role. So only civilians can search civilian rooms (highlighted blue) and only military can search security rooms (highlighted red). So this could help prevent search-fests in every room you enter, thereby pushing survivors to actually proceed through the map and not camp a room to search.
CORRECTION—>. Civvies can search any room.

Door activations are also free now, and don't require an action to open or close. Oh, and now you can close doors instead of just breaking them down. So you don't have to waste an action on opening doors. You also won't have to roll to successfully open a door, so no lost time or actions for whiffing on rolls.

Weapons requiring ammo, like the flamethrower requiring a cannister, can have ammo placed underneath the weapon card in the horizontal slot that's there (hard to notice at first). Unlike previously when you needed to have a bile in one hand and torch in the other, now both components needed can be equipped in one hand. So you can essentially hold "more" things at once. This is in addition to the two body slots, compared the previous one body slot. Should make inventory easier to work with.

A new concentrate fire ability is added to anyone attacking with both melee and ranged. If you choose to activate this ability, simply call your target prior to rolling the attack. Then, you'd multiply the damage value by the number of successes rolled. So now, any weapon could potentially kill a tank (fatty) or abom. if it has enough extra dice to roll. Even a 1 dmg weapon. Should help reduce the search-fests that resulted from folks trying to find a dmg 2+ weapon or scrambling to search for biles and torches to kill abombs. Especially with searchable rooms restricted to survivor role.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any weapons restricted to experience levels. So I guess any weapon can be used as soon as it's found?

Monster Spawns

Looks like each spawn card will correspond to only one monster type, and not different ones per danger level.

Looks like the splitting rule is still the same. Uneven groups that split will get an extra monster to make both split groups even. Oh well...
CORRECTION—> Groups can split unevenly.

Miscellaneous

The rest seems largely the same. Workers = walkers, Hunters = runners, Tanks = fatties, Aboms = Abombs. Though now you'll also have turrets and drones that can be controlled for even more firepower with a pretty long range (range = 1-3). The drone can hit at range 0 for more damage though. So that's also good, like your survivor existing at multiple points as long as you have the remote ability (or tokens).

Zones infected with mold can't be searched, even if they are rendered inactive. To me, this encourages actually hunting down the abomb, instead of trying to hide from it. The more the abomb roams, the less likely you'll have places on the map to left to search for needed items.

The rules also mention "dark zones" that will block line of sight unless that survivor is equiped with a search light. It also notes that these zones are not in the core box, but in "expansions." Not really an optimization, but something "new" for this franchise. I know it was already sort of in Massive Darkness. But I didn't back that, so I don't know if it was implemented well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vail Marston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The WIP rulebook doesn't include scenarios, so it's hard to say about setup time.

The spawn and move steps for xenos (zombies) have been somewhat streamlined and xenos don't spawn when opening doors, so you wont need to interrupt player turns for that.

Overall, I don't expect the effect on play time or downtime to be that major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vail Marston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
A couple of mistakes in the summary above.

Civilians can search any room, including security rooms.

You do not add xenos when a group splits unevenly, you decide which way the larger group goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP rules page 27;

“Uneven Xenos groups are split the same way . Decide which splitting group get the extra Xeno and which direction the uneven split groups go . In case of a single Xeno being offered multiple routes, the players decide which direction it goes .”

Adding an “extra xeno” under the rules for dealing with uneven groups splittig seems to imply we have to even out the groups.

EDIT: Nvm, the wording was a bit vague there. Re-reading it, sounds more like they mean you can decide which direction the larger group goes. Strange way to phrase that though. I hope they at least add an example to remove any ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Zombicide veterans would see ambiguity. It’s a very counter-intuitive rule that no new player would imagine from reading the Invader rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's hard to tell how the setup time is reduced.

And a lot of people are making a big deal of the end game death rule but that has existed on most of the scenarios, now it's just a global rule, so that's not really new.

Set up with the different decks almost seems longer.

Also, I want to point out there can be little down time between turns. That largely depends on player and team AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.