Subject: How very Romulan of you... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had a game in which we used the optional rule to start with one advancement of your choice (which is a rule that I'm liking a lot). As the Klingons, I chose the one that let me build a ship for free in each system that had a culture node. As such, I put culture nodes everywhere and then didn't even need to bother fighting. The Federation had to race to catch up and generate enough culture to keep up. The two of us had a few localized skirmishes over a phenomena, but the session overall was mostly peaceful (up until the very end).

The end game ended up being between me and the Federation, as the Romulans were too far behind to catch up. Both Klingons and Feds were in position to have 5 Ascendancy in the same turn, but Feds had a tie-breaker because they had spammed their colony fleet to colonize 1 more system than I had. So on the last turn of the game, I planned on invading a Federation border world in order to give myself the 1-system tie-breaker. I had an overwhelming force and cloaking device that the Federation was not going to be able to compete with.

The Romulan player, who had been friendly with the Feds the whole game, spent all their resources to bid for first turn (I was like, "why are you even bothering?") and moved a battle fleet into the Federation system that I was planning to conquer. I wasn't too concerned because I still had enough ship (3 whole fleets) to take on the Romulan ships too, especially since they don't get their cloaking device while defending.

Then the Romulans played their Ace in the Hole. They played their Tal'Shiar espionage card (which I had forgotten they had, as it had never been used at all the entire game) to disable my cloaking device. So when my turn came around, without the advantage of first strike, and with that extra Romulan fleet defending, I was not able to defeat the Federation and Romulan fleet with enough ships left over to seize their system.

I lost the game to the tie-breaker, and told the Romulan player "How very Romulan of you. Touche."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very sporting of you given it's a classic example of King making. Agree thematic though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jsbuckley wrote:
That's very sporting of you given it's a classic example of King making.

3-Player Ascendancy is usually an exercise in kingmaking.

Player A is about to beat Player B (who is a close competitor) and Player C (who is clearly in third place).

Player C can either fight Player A, helping B to win, or they can do (effectively) nothing and help A to win. Either way, C gets to do the king making.

I love me some Ascendancy, but you kinda' have to accept that with three players in the last turn or so the game devolves into "who does Player C let win?" Even if, somehow, Player C manages to both break A -and- B, the clock just resets (and who A, B, and C are can now change). But this is unlikely.

The game really needs 4+ players to avoid this issue.

tl;dr don't hate the playa', hate the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun game. I don't believe kingmaking is really a thing - especially in games of diplomacy - if you can't achieve victory without other players vowing not to "interfere" with it, then you didn't really have the victory in hand anyway. Btw, that's not a critique of the original poster - who sounds like he had a fun time - just a general observation.

Possible counters to such interference could be feints or movement of ships such that your ultimate target is unclear, and so on.

Love the Romulan deviousness, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

MegaBearsFan wrote:
...As the Klingons, I chose the one that let me build a ship for free in each system that had a culture node. As such, I put culture nodes everywhere and then didn't even need to bother fighting.

Looks like you were lucky in mostly drawing systems that had either a Culture or Open node on it! Don't count on that for every game!

Senatus1980 wrote:
... if you can't achieve victory without other players vowing not to "interfere" with it, then you didn't really have the victory in hand anyway.

This, exactly! If you don't want that third player to affect your outcome, then you need to be far enough ahead so that his actions don't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

MegaBearsFan wrote:
...As the Klingons, I chose the one that let me build a ship for free in each system that had a culture node. As such, I put culture nodes everywhere and then didn't even need to bother fighting.

Looks like you were lucky in mostly drawing systems that had either a Culture or Open node on it! Don't count on that for every game!

Oh yeah, it was very lucky. I was expecting to get two, maybe three ships per turn during the end-game, but by mid-game, I was getting 4 free ships every turn. I looked like the early run-away, and the Romulans pretty much didn't even bother confronting me. They had lost several ships early to phenomena and exploration cards, so they were kind of at a disadvantage from the start.

In my other game as a Klingon, I drew 4 or 5 planets with 1 or more research nodes. I was by far the most technologically advanced player.

Senatus1980 wrote:
Sounds like a fun game. I don't believe kingmaking is really a thing - especially in games of diplomacy - if you can't achieve victory without other players vowing not to "interfere" with it, then you didn't really have the victory in hand anyway. Btw, that's not a critique of the original poster - who sounds like he had a fun time - just a general observation.

Possible counters to such interference could be feints or movement of ships such that your ultimate target is unclear, and so on.

Love the Romulan deviousness, lol!

That was kind of how I felt about it too. To be honest, I'm not very good at most of the board games that I play. We rarely play any one game enough times to really get good at it (though I'm working very hard at changing that with more regular and frequent game nights). I just like the social aspect of it, and as long as the game is fun and competitive, I don't mind losing.

I do play with the intent of winning, so as long as a player isn't deliberately throwing a game (especially in a team game) or playing outside of the spirit of the game, I'm usually not going to complain much about "unfairness".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.