Subject: Three random / untested variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyprien Galan
France
Perpignan
Occitanie
flag msg tools
During some discussion in the thread Friendier Variants, I came up with three variants which are totally untested, maybe a little too random but well, I am posting these here if anyone is interested :

1) You can only wage war against your direct neighbours ( left or right players ), unless it is an attack all card.
As there are only 3 : Napoleon ( III ), Warplane ( IV ), and Fighter Jet ( V ), the farthest players from an offensive player could have the time to prepare for those cards coming.
( And I forgot The Manhattan Project but honestly I never saw it used as an attack card, but as a defense one ).

This would render war cards less interesting to take if your neighbours are strong enough to resist.
I believe that it could enable a more balanced distribution of war cards among players.

2) Investing on the first card from the deck ( totally random investment ).
Being able to invest for a random card while knowing for example that there is still a war / defense card in the deck could be useful.
Also, it could balance cards like astronomy / satellites / christopher columbus, as they are forced to be able to carry out and take a new card, which is not the case for the other cards giving an extra uninvested one from the market ( because of the uninvested requirement ). With this, if the first card is uninvested, you could take it. If it is indeed invested, well, the card has no effect.
This would be an abstract investment on the first card of the deck, which would change with each passing turn.
Could be interesting.

Story time : When we play, we play without the plastic tray, as we find it annoying. So we put cards on top of the fifth player space ( we are not often 5 players ). A new player then asked if he could buy the first card of the deck because there was a market space under it. We said no at that moment. I regret not trying this.

3) Resource-points with capitalism and the Future
Capitalism ( V ) has this new power instead of the written one : each resource is worth 1 point for all players at the end of the game.
The Future has this power in place of nothing : if taken by a player, discard Capitalism.
Change its quote to : "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives." - Jean-Luc Picard
( a star trek quote, to represent a futuristic culture-oriented society )

If you have any suggestions, if you test those, please tell me ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.