Godtear» Forums » General

Subject: EA Player with 20+ games under belt... AMA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As title says, Ive played a bunch of games of Godtear throughout a variety of versions, if there is any questions you might have please ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Back 5
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, how is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol starting me off with a nice easy one eh?

It’s a lot of fun. At its base, it’s a hex based skirmish game. There’s lots of them, most recently for me I’ve been playing shadespire and aristeia. I’ll give you a summary of the game, and then compare it to those ones.

The first thing godtear does that’s unique is the separation of strategy and tactics phase. In the strategy phase, it’s I go-you go, so all my units activate, then all yours. Then in tactics phase it’s alternating activations. On top of that, all units have different abilities in each phase. This gives the game lots of design space and room to differentiate people in small ways. Maybe some people move fast in the strategy phse, and can plant a turn 1 banner. Maybe some barely move at all because they’re dwarves. Most units attack in tactics phase, but it will make those who attack in the strategy phase feel real unique.

The other thing that godtear does that I haven’t really seen is how the victory point system doesn’t allow for turn 1 victories (or assured victories, everyone has played that game where within 15 mins they knew they were boned but had to play through the rest of the game). Each round you score points by killing things (temporarily, nothing dies permanently, but killing both gives you points and forces the opponent to spend actions to ready their character) and interacting with the objective. The person with the most “points” - represented by slides on a victory ladder - wins the round and gets victory points (1 for round 1, 2 for round 2, then 3, then 2, then 1), and first to 5 wins. The victory ladder is reset after ever round so you can get demolished round 1 and 2, but make a key outplay round 3, win it and the game is tied.

Compared the shadespire, it has less pre-prep. Many people like the deck building meta game aspect, but I’m not really one of those, I’d rather my games be decided on the board. The lack of deck building also keeps the game easier to balance, you can make interesting champs without having to worry about neutering them because of one of the 400+ cards that could interact in an unfavourable way. Compared to aristeia it is similar in that it kind of looks to want to have a draft system, for quick play. I am more a fantasy person than a future person, so the godtear universe fits me better. You can also completely ignore the objective in godtear. If you want, build a team of slayers and Maelstroms and run right past the objectives on your way to smash the enemy.

Ultimately it’s been lots of fun, even with only 6 champs and 1 scenario currently. I’m very excited to play with a bunch more champs and scenarios and really see how deep this system goes, and then there’s the campaign aspect as well.

And I just want to make sure everyone is clear, The rules aren’t nailed down or anything, so things may change, but they keep changing for the better, and the game keeps getting more tight and exciting.

Later I’m probably going to go in depth about how the current characters feel very different from each other (especially the slayers and shapers, whom we have 2 of, so the champions that fit within a class both feel like the type of character they should be, but also very different from each other.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
What I enjoy is the low entry barrier and seemingly simple rules. No preassembly of models, no measuring tape and dice to add a bid of uncertainty. The rules become more complex with model specific abilities but overall rules are simple to grasp.

I liked how different factions can score vp’s in different ways but wonder how this will eventually balance out so that we don’t see 3 vs 3 guardians battles only for instance. I hope this different scoring will be maintained throughout development as it opens routes for different strategies.

On the map. I’m wondering if we will see larger play areas and scenarios that are more interesting vs the growth one.

On the neoprene mat wondering if it will also have an extended area where you can place your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing slayers:

Right now slayers are one of the two classes that early access have multiples of (the other being shapers), so I figure these two classes would be a good starting point to show how champions can be different within the same class.

Rangosh is basically a melee bruiser to adopt video game terms. He’s a good single target guy that will destroy anything. In the strategy phase he moves, or he can choose to buff his whiplash damage (through evoke) or his jawbreaker damage. His tactics phase is a lot more fun. First off, he gets to move for free, which is let’s you move and still do both of your tactics phase attacks. Whiplash is the “get over here” move. It’s magic damage, ranged, and pulls targets towards him. The damage isn’t that high, but it’s accuracy is good, and the pull sets up for the 1/2 combo with jawbreaker. Jawbreaker has low accuracy, so vs certain targets it’s not going to hit all that often. However, when it does hit, it hits HARD. It also gives sunder (lowers magic resist) so it can set up for a next turn whiplash, or you can use the combo backwards if you’re in range to jawbreaker first, and follow up with a more damage whiplash. Rangosh’s ultimate let’s him sacrifice some of his followers for a speed boost. This is actually surprisingly useful because he can speed across the map to crush a banner the opponent thought was safe, or reach an enemy that thought they were safe. Rangosh’s defenders are pretty meh, and his health is enough to survive a hit or two, but he will definitely go down to a focused effort. All in all, he’s exactly what he looks a big dude that wants to fight people.

Lorsaynne on the other hand, plays the elf game. She is nimble, and, obviously, an archer, and her skills play well into the theme. Armor and resistance wise she is a paper bag, you hit her and she will go down. But her high evasion makes that hard, and her ability to stay at range also keeps her out of danger. It’s hard to say you’re going to run over to hit her, and abandon the objectives/rest of the fighting. Her trait/passive ability helps her keep at arms reach, or can give her an extra bit of mobility if she needs to get a key crush in. Strategy phase wise, she moves quickly, can buff herself or a teammates physical damage, and can weaken an enemy for magic damage via sunder. Her tactics phase is really defining, as she gets 3 different attacks, all of which are best suited for different targets. Exploding shot has low accuracy, but if it hits rolls 3 physical and 3 magic damage, so definitely hurts. Piercing shot is good for cleaning up tanks, with a guaranteed damage no matter how much armor Rodri has somehow. Tanks tend to not have high dodge (well, Rodri doesn’t anyways) so it’s a pretty safe bet for some damage. Snipe is a long range, extremely high accuracy attack. The damage is pretty meh, but it can be good for picking off a follower for a last minute cull or for mirror matches/vs other targets with high agility. Her ult lets her lose an action to gain +2 range and +2 accuracy, helping you stay at arms reach and (usually) giving you a very accurate exploding shot.

So, there’s 2 slayers. Obviously warning that this is subject to change, it’s just how they play with the most current patch. Lorsaynne is a typical elf, shooting things from afar, and rangosh is all about punching things. They both have the same goal, to kill champs, but go about it 2 different ways, and could work complementary on the same team. Taking 2 of the same class doesn’t seem like a death sentence, it just means you have to play a little differently than with a more balanced team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotun wrote:
What I enjoy is the low entry barrier and seemingly simple rules. No preassembly of models, no measuring tape and dice to add a bid of uncertainty. The rules become more complex with model specific abilities but overall rules are simple to grasp.

I liked how different factions can score vp’s in different ways but wonder how this will eventually balance out so that we don’t see 3 vs 3 guardians battles only for instance. I hope this different scoring will be maintained throughout development as it opens routes for different strategies.

On the map. I’m wondering if we will see larger play areas and scenarios that are more interesting vs the growth one.

On the neoprene mat wondering if it will also have an extended area where you can place your cards.

Yeah, i think thats always good in a game like this, simple rules, but the depth comes from the champions themselves.

Right now its hard to say about the 3v3 guardians, its all a matter of how well it gets playtested and balanced. But 3 rodris on the same team would be very slow. Theyd be hard to kill, but also wouldnt score any points. They definitely need help to secure banners and can kill the occasional champ and follower, but definitely not as easily as the maelstroms and slayers.

I cant answer the other questions unfortuntely, as im not privy to that information. I know for certain that more scenarios are coming, but i would be surprised if there was a larger play area in the works right now, but could defintiely be coming down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You sort of hit this on your first reply, but with all your games experience, can you elaborate on two questions:

why get this? It looks cool, and the KS certainly brings bang for the buck, but the minimum tier is $110 USD, so why would you tell your buddy it's worth that kind of investment?

Doesn't it get samey. The games I've watched seem like a big scrum in the middle on the hex objectives, and then it almost appears to just be a game of action/attack selection. Is that all it is, and does the playtime justify that, or do you feel their is my dynamic play than that? I realize they'll be more scenarios, but one might fear that'd be two small scrums rather than one big one. Thoughts?

Any insight you can provide would be awesome. I am really on the fence on this one. I love Guild Ball, and can see this maybe even being a bit of gateway mini's game for my 7 year old by the time we get it, but it also is a hefty investment out of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitz wrote:
You sort of hit this on your first reply, but with all your games experience, can you elaborate on two questions:

why get this? It looks cool, and the KS certainly brings bang for the buck, but the minimum tier is $110 USD, so why would you tell your buddy it's worth that kind of investment?

Doesn't it get samey. The games I've watched seem like a big scrum in the middle on the hex objectives, and then it almost appears to just be a game of action/attack selection. Is that all it is, and does the playtime justify that, or do you feel their is my dynamic play than that? I realize they'll be more scenarios, but one might fear that'd be two small scrums rather than one big one. Thoughts?

Any insight you can provide would be awesome. I am really on the fence on this one. I love Guild Ball, and can see this maybe even being a bit of gateway mini's game for my 7 year old by the time we get it, but it also is a hefty investment out of the gate.

I second these questions.

Also, I would like to know about objectives. Can you just ignore them and go for a death match?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.