22 Posts

HATE» Forums » General

Subject: If you care to, convince me that... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game won’t be super boring in both looks and gameplay. It seems stale and even though Adrian Smith has some amazing art, the color palate is brown on dark brown on light brown on black for almost all tribes.

Change my mind if you dare. I am in at $1, I love horror anything and gore, but just don’t see how this game will get played much based on many different factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, why should I spend my money on hate instead of Monoliths Batman and Zombicide invader and maximum apocalypse (to name just a few games that touch on similar aspects with possibly more replayability and more story).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
stephenk7 wrote:
Also, why should I spend my money on hate instead of Monoliths Batman and Zombicide invader and maximum apocalypse (to name just a few games that touch on similar aspects with possibly more replayability and more story).

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't buy it - need as many of you who as possible to skip this game only to return next year yelling you missed out and pay me double for the extra copies I'll be purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of information on this game. You should be able to decide without convincing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the art in Monolith's Batman is embarrassingly bad. I don't know how a multi-million dollar game gets away with this horrible art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with all due respect, if you don’t want to engage in the discussion then don’t bother commenting. I asked for others opinions on why this would be better than other games or would be a better use of my money and/or time. If I don’t get it now I will never get it. If I miss a KS and find out there are exclusives that can’t be purchased through normal avenues (e.g. like scythe’s promos), I won’t ever bother buying or playing the game.

So your opinion is that the art is better or at least that Batman’s sucks (which I disagree with). Got it. Not extremely helpful, but I hear you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenk7 wrote:
This game won’t be super boring in both looks and gameplay. It seems stale and even though Adrian Smith has some amazing art, the color palate is brown on dark brown on light brown on black for almost all tribes.

Change my mind if you dare. I am in at $1, I love horror anything and gore, but just don’t see how this game will get played much based on many different factors.

I feel the same. I like Adrian Smith’s art and the HATE setting. The minis are nice, but the gameplay looks uninspired. I’m in for a dollar, but will probably pass too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Funnel your money into Shadespire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
stephenk7 wrote:
Change my mind if you dare.

Steph: I don't want it
Me: You want it
Me: You want it
Me: You don't want it
Steph: I want it. I want it. I want it. Now take my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
Oh the trolls are still around.

If you don't want to get it just don't.

You are like those annoying vegans who just have to make sure everyone else knows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steph, to be fair, your post doesn't make sense. Why would you WANT other people to talk you into something you don't want to do? Are you simply on the fence and need a little encouragement to tip over and buy it? What's hanging you up? The game mechanics aren't complicated, so shouldn't be a tall task to figure out if you would like this type of game. The art is specific and prolific throughout the game - again, should be quick to decide if you like the art. The miniatures are available online to check them all out to see if you like those. If the campaign was still going, several of us would jump on to encourage you to back since we're striving for SG's, but now that it's over the only entity interested in you purchasing this game is CMON. The KS hauled in over 10,000 backers, so there's a community of fans/supporters who like this game. Check out the threads during the KS to see the multiple posts of people chatting back and forth between each other trying to figure out if the game is "good". Now that the campaign is over and was successful, it's simply down to you deciding if you would like it and worth the money to fork over for it. CMON has demonstrated solid performance in delivering games in good time, so personally I don't consider KS risk for purchasing their games.

For me, I would not consider passing up on something like this - all of it appeals to me, the art, the horrific theme, the depravity - love it even if the game doesn't pan out for me mechanics wise, though I think it will from my review of the rules - that and I'm a big time miniature collector as well as board gamer, so game fun risk isn't much of an issue for me. But you're not me, maybe you don't care about any of this stuff and only concerned about game mechanics, will it be fun for you. There are plenty of threads going over the mechanics in detail. You could try combing through the Comments on the KS page, but given the mass amount of Comments, that may be implausible ( would be nice feature for KS if they allowed backers to download the comments in a text file so we could search on content - or more simply, make it a feature on the page ). Good luck in deciding and as I posted above, since I'm purchasing multiple copies, I don't have the motivation to rope in more people at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically asking for everyone's opinion on the game and why they would buy it. I don't see how that is complicated or confusing or troll-ish. Did I say that no one else should buy it or that I actually hate it? I'm just unsure about the game play. Apparently all of you have already played it and know that it's great? I didn't think so. It's a lot of money at a time when there are other great games available as well. Again, if you don't think it's an appropriate discussion to engage in, then don't. When someone posts a question or topic that goes unanswered, they don't come to your house and bang on your door making you answer or bombard you with personal messages making you respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelaar wrote:
James, to be fair, your post doesn't make sense. Why would you WANT other people to talk you into something you don't want to do? Are you simply on the fence and need a little encouragement to tip over and buy it? What's hanging you up? The game mechanics aren't complicated, so shouldn't be a tall task to figure out if you would like this type of game. The art is specific and prolific throughout the game - again, should be quick to decide if you like the art. The miniatures are available online to check them all out to see if you like those. If the campaign was still going, several of us would jump on to encourage you to back since we're striving for SG's, but now that it's over the only entity interested in you purchasing this game is CMON. The KS hauled in over 10,000 backers, so there's a community of fans/supporters who like this game. Check out the threads during the KS to see the multiple posts of people chatting back and forth between each other trying to figure out if the game is "good". Now that the campaign is over and was successful, it's simply down to you deciding if you would like it and worth the money to fork over for it. CMON has demonstrated solid performance in delivering games in good time, so personally I don't consider KS risk for purchasing their games

I've actually never played a game like this. I have never tried 40k (which seems the most similar just a different theme and maybe without the upgrades? Again, not sure since I haven't played it).

I do like the art, but it's one thing to have everything look the same when I am reading a graphic novel, and another when I am playing a game. If the characters generally don't have different characteristics while on the board (painted or not) then it may look bland (again, not sure since it isn't out yet).

When a game such as Blood Rage or Rising Sun is painted, the different players have their own colors and the monsters or bigger minis are very unique on their own as well. This game just doesn't seem to have that.

Quote:
For me, I would not consider passing up on something like this - all of it appeals to me, the art, the horrific theme, the depravity - love it even if the game doesn't pan out for me mechanics wise, though I think it will from my review of the rules - that and I'm a big time miniature collector as well as board gamer, so game fun risk isn't much of an issue for me. But you're not me, maybe you don't care about any of this stuff and only concerned about game mechanics, will it be fun for you. There are plenty of threads going over the mechanics in detail. You could try combing through the Comments on the KS page, but given the mass amount of Comments, that may be implausible ( would be nice feature for KS if they allowed backers to download the comments in a text file so we could search on content - or more simply, make it a feature on the page ). Good luck in deciding and as I posted above, since I'm purchasing multiple copies, I don't have the motivation to rope in more people at this point.

This is really what I was looking for. I appreciate your opinion on the game. I also really like minis and like painting minis as well. Thankfully I have a full month to decide since the PM isn't due until May 18. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! My opinion on the game is it's great!

Quote:
When someone posts a question or topic that goes unanswered, they don't come to your house and bang on your door making you answer or bombard you with personal messages making you respond.

You'd be surprised ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
I too was also on the fence on this one, but I just pulled the trigger on this one today. Went in on all content relevant add-on’s.

For me the big draw is this is a self contained skirmish game. Each player doesn’t need their own pile of minis with custom army list. It’s not what I would call pick up and play, but certainly not as heavy as most skirmish games.

That the campaign mode was in mind from the game inception and can support 6 players was akso a big plus. Also the fact that an extra $25 means I can run a full player campaign without any other players needing to drop a dime.

The fact that I like the art style a lot is just gravy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're not going to back this one, consider GodTear KS going on right now - they just added an all-in pledge and unlocking very cool SG's. Maybe not as hateful as this beauty, but seems cool and the mini's rock big time ( and you get a lot of them, lots of unique sculpts ). Arena is another winner, but GodTear ( imho ) just surpassed it in value for those who are value minded - Arena appears to be richer game mechanics, but not always a good thing. Both games looks really good to me. But don't take my word for it, check them out for yourself.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I'm backing both ( and backed 2 all-in copies of Hate ). I'm considering an additional all-in copy of GodTear as it's an incredible value ( which of course brings in the question if they'll be able to deliver, but it is SteamForge, so not a newbie gaming company, so I HOPE they have a good accountant as it's verging on too good to be true territory ).
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was on the fence too and dropping my pledge to $1 during the campaign and now that the pledge manager is out....I am still on the fence, and as someone mentioned earlier if this is not your thing and you are still thinking about it... then maybe its safe to pass on this one and look at the other kickstarter campaigns that are out there!

To my honest, there are too many options that I am debating where to allocate my money between Street Fighter TMG, Dinosaur Island, and Zombicide Invaders...which totals over $450 0_0"

So to each there own! good luck with your decision Steph!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenk7 wrote:
...the color palate is brown on dark brown on light brown on black for almost all tribes.

I am looking forward to painting this game so I have spent quite a while looking into the details on the mini´s.

The teams are not armies in the traditional sense, rather they are a band of warriors that all hail from the same place. The differences in color are there but they are subtle (some tribes use more face paint, or masks more often etc.). There is a lot of care taken into making the warriors unique compared to each other even if the tribes themselves are not that distinctive.

If you wanted you could mark them with tribal paint schemes, or dye the leather of a tribe different from another.

For me painting them will be a joy since there are so few duplicates (models comes in pairs at most) and with such a small team, I will "know" my dudes when I see them in the field (and what history/upgrades they have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people complained about the simplicity of the HATE rules.

But honestly that was before SMOG:Moloch was delivered.
SMOG has pretty easy rules as well and turned out to be one of CMONs best game for some of us.

What appeals to me the most is HATE's campaign aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What campaign is everyone talking about? Just the campaign within a single game? There is no story driven campaign as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenk7 wrote:
What campaign is everyone talking about? Just the campaign within a single game? There is no story driven campaign as far as I know.

A campaign in the game is series of matches until a final winner is declared (similar to a league in Blood Bowl).

The campaign has some narrative elements in the form of competing for the Tyrant position and assorted mini quests from the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.