7 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Annihilation Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Villains phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Ariza
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the villains phase occur on every heroes turn? Also if the heroes do not move do they still draw an encounter card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes (x2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danonyte wrote:
Does the villains phase occur on every heroes turn? Also if the heroes do not move do they still draw an encounter card?

Villains phase occurs after each hero phase. When activating monsters, remember to only activate villains and those monster types that correspond to the hero whose villain phase it is.

You draw an encounter card whenever
A) you have not explored a new tile OR
B) you have explored a new tile and have drawn a black arrow

Moving has no relevance to drawing an encounter, other than that it is harder to explore if you do not move. You still might explore by already being on an unexplored edge, or by using some ability like the Ranger's exploration perk from the older game, Castle Ravenloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Or it could be you're in a WoA enclosed chamber end game with only the entrance (and you need to have 'arena combat' as I would call it) or are at an end tile like CR spiral staircase which is a dead end so exploring edges and laying down new tiles are 'done' so then by the printed rules you draw encounter cards. or by house rules you have enough to handle at that point especially if it's a solo or 2 player/hero game and encounters are too much not only mechanically but thematically imho which is the way I play most of the time. at some point enough's enough let's fight monsters & villains to the death. no matter how you decide to play it the fun games come down to the wire where you're down to one HP and no healing surges ;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way you can not move and not have to draw an Encounter is:
1 You end one Hero phase on the corner of a tile between two unexplored edges
2 You explore a tile with a white triangle
3 On your next turn you don't move, so you are still next to the other unexplored edge
4 You explore another tile with a white triangle
I'll often end my turn on such a corner if it's available, in case my Hero gets Stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Ariza
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lol thanks for all the help, but now I see that rule of ending your hero phase on the corner of a tile between two unexplored edges. That rule confuses me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartheus wrote:
Danonyte wrote:

Villains phase occurs after each hero phase. When activating monsters, remember to only activate villains and those monster types that correspond to the hero whose villain phase it is.

Also, one clarification: Unlike a normal monster, a villain activates during each hero's phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.