Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
- Send the Paramedic towards the POI nearest a hazmat
- Treat the POI
- Carry the hazmat out while leading the POI

This seems to alleviate a few things
- The fire is often too powerful at first to start the game with a purely rescue oriented character (carrying hazmat is part of fighting the fire)
- Unless the hazmat is in a really bad area, like a basement, it's often better to run in and carry it out with a high movement character than to 'dispose' anyway

I tried it out, and it seems to be very effective.

Anyone else try this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules probably allow this, but I would forbid my fireWomen to carry hazmat while leading a victim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask why? I don't see a thematic or a mechanical problem with firefighter asking a treated victim to follow while she is carrying a gasoline canister outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
May I ask why? I don't see a thematic or a mechanical problem with firefighter asking a treated victim to follow while she is carrying a gasoline canister outside.

IDKIFAF but I think paramedics are not trained in any real fire fighting techniques. So except grave circumstances, the risk of taking a hazmat and a victim with you would seem to be to high, as the paramedic is not able to assess the risks concerning hazmats properly.
Also AFAIK the prime directive of paramedics is to concentrate solely on victims.
But since it is not covered by the rules you have to forbid it with a house rule/local amendment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Bartheus wrote:

IDKIFAF but I think paramedics are not trained in any real fire fighting techniques. So except grave circumstances, the risk of taking a hazmat and a victim with you would seem to be to high, as the paramedic is not able to assess the risks concerning hazmats properly.
Also AFAIK the prime directive of paramedics is to concentrate solely on victims.
But since it is not covered by the rules you have to forbid it with a house rule/local amendment.

As someone who is a paramedic professionally, I can say that you are both right and wrong. If the paramedic in question is like me and works for a private ambulance service, then yes they are not trained in firefighting techniques like safely moving haz-mats. The problem here is we are also not trained, nor do we have the equipment required, to enter a fully involved structure fire to render aid to victims, they would have to be brought out of the building by fire personnel. The paramedic character in Flashpoint seems to be a firefighter/paramedic and more than likely works for a fire department that also runs an ambulance service (FDNY and other big city departments do this). A firefighter/paramedic would most definitely have the training to move haz-mats safely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.