Bios: Megafauna (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does a species lose its genotype card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Sharman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule I3 says, "Your Species becomes extinct if it loses its Genotype card,...". I can't find anywhere in the rules that explains how a species might lose its genotype card.

I wonder whether this refers to E6.b., which says, "If... the size of your Genotype is larger than the maximum size printed on its card, it is replaced by a new Archetype species... remove the Genotype card and replace it with your Archetype card, preserving all the Organs and Mutations of the former Genotype." But that doesn't map well onto the idea of extinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a legacy rule that lingers even though it has no practical effect. You can make your creature extinct by making it too large and not have your archetype available (ie exctinct). I suppose this might count as loosing your genotype card and since no replacement is available it goes extinct, but I can see no other way really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalense wrote:
I wonder whether this refers to E6.b., which says, "If... the size of your Genotype is larger than the maximum size printed on its card, it is replaced by a new Archetype species... remove the Genotype card and replace it with your Archetype card, preserving all the Organs and Mutations of the former Genotype." But that doesn't map well onto the idea of extinction.

If the size of your Genotype is larger than the max size AND you are already using your Archetype, the Genotype species goes extinct (kiwi rule only applies if your Archetype species is already extinct...you cannot have 2 Archtype species at once).

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have doubts about which situations you could lose Genotype cards. In the rules it seems like you lose the Genotype no matter if the Archetype is present or not. In E6.b it says:

"...However, this replacement is only possible if your Archetype is extinct (or else the species goes Extinct). Either way, the Genotype goes into your Fossil Record."

The expression 'either way' is what confuses me, I think the meaning is what I said before. In addition I want to see what adds to the rules the phrase in parenthesis in the rule I mentioned above.

Reading the Living Rules I have a lot of confusion trying to understand the possible results when you mix the rules E2e (Promote, Maximum Size), E3e (Speciate, Maximum Size) and E6 (Resize). Here is a list of checks I wrote down in a piece of paper when you execute actions. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Promote action checklist
1. Size of Genotype > Size Promoted Mutation?. If yes, go to step 2. If not, the card is promoted applying all effects it has and you finish the check.
2. Promoted chosen is a Speciation? If yes, go to next step. If not, the card is not promoted to the chosen orientation and you finish the check.
3. Archetype is extinct? If yes, Kiwi process is executed (losing the newly acquired promoted mutation as Genotype moving to Fossil Record). If not, the card is not promoted to the chosen orientation.

Resize action checklist
1. Size of Genotype > Size of any Promoted Mutation? If yes, that Mutation is Atrophied. After you check this with each Promoted Mutation, go to next step.
2. Size of Genotype > Maximum Size Printed on Genotype? If yes, you lose the Genotype card to Fossil Record and go to next step. If not, you finish the check.
3. Archetype is extincted? If yes, Kiwi process is executed (losing the newly acquired promoted mutation as Genotype moving to Fossil Record). If not, you do nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandermagno wrote:
I still have doubts about which situations you could lose Genotype cards. In the rules it seems like you lose the Genotype no matter if the Archetype is present or not. In E6.b it says:

"...However, this replacement is only possible if your Archetype is extinct (or else the species goes Extinct). Either way, the Genotype goes into your Fossil Record."

You CANNOT ever have a creature larger than its genotype card. If your Archetype card is available, the species becomes a kiwi and converts back to an Archetype. If the Archetype is NOT available, the species goes extinct (lose all creeples instantly).

Quote:
Promote action checklist
1. Size of Genotype > Size Promoted Mutation?. If yes, go to step 2. If not, the card is promoted applying all effects it has and you finish the check.
Almost. If this is a speciation, the resulting creeple must also be available (you cannot promote to a flyer if you already have a flying species).
Quote:
2. Promoted chosen is a Speciation? If yes, go to next step. If not, the card is not promoted to the chosen orientation and you finish the check.
3. Archetype is extinct? If yes, Kiwi process is executed (losing the newly acquired promoted mutation as Genotype moving to Fossil Record). If not, the card is not promoted to the chosen orientation.
Yes sir. Perfect.

Quote:
Resize action checklist
1. Size of Genotype > Size of any Promoted Mutation? If yes, that Mutation is Atrophied. After you check this with each Promoted Mutation, go to next step.
2. Size of Genotype > Maximum Size Printed on Genotype? If yes, you lose the Genotype card to Fossil Record and go to next step. If not, you finish the check.
You got it.
Quote:
3. Archetype is extincted? If yes, Kiwi process is executed (losing the newly acquired promoted mutation as Genotype moving to Fossil Record). If not, you do nothing else.
Genotype is replaced with Archetype if available (and all creeples are replaced with archetype creeples...potentially driving some endangered). If Archetype is not available, you definitely do something since your species goes completely extinct (i.e. all creeples are removed from board, mutations with fossils move to Fossil Record while others are removed from game including those that are part of a personality).

I can't really recommend resizing beyond your Genotype limit unless you are sure you can Kiwi (or have a very compelling reason to free up a creeple shape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
Almost. If this is a speciation, the resulting creeple must also be available (you cannot promote to a flyer if you already have a flying species).

Yeah, I know it. I didn't want to put it in order to not complicate too much the checklist I made. Anyway, thanks for the reminder. And also thanks for the other answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.