Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Will this return to retail or should I back the kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
I am super interested in this game but hesitant to pay into the $130US (I live in Canada so exchange hurts a bit) for the full package.

So will there be another retail release and I can buy the extra parts over time?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Sharkey
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely yes, but you’ll miss out on the tons of sweet exclusive content in the X-treme Editions though!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My understanding is that there will be a second printing retail release. It will not have all of the kickstarter exclusives though (no metal coins for example)

The expansion and Duelasaur I think are getting retail releases too. Personally I think it's worth the kickstarter, but I am only paying USD for it, so I can't comment on how much it cost in CAD for the kickstarter or retail.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I had backed at the $85 base game level for a while, but cancelled it yesterday. The Kickstarter page is just so busy with stretch goals for the expansion and the 2p game that it feels like a backer should either just pledge at the top tier or nothing, and the top tier is more than I think I should spend on this game. I was also influenced by a well written review that felt the game only stood up to a few plays.

I look forward to trying it though, hopefully at my first BGG.con later this year! If I enjoy it, I'll consider picking up a retail copy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The retail version (after the first kickstarter) sold for around C$72, so it's not an inexpensive game to start with. The current KS X-treme edition comes in around C$30 more. That's a slightly better deal than the US$30 upgrade pack available through the KS.

You just have decide if all the extra dino meeples, coins, etc. are worth it to you.


I'm in for the base game and liquid expansion. Deulosaur seems a bit superfluous.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Miller
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
The retail version (after the first kickstarter) sold for around C$72, so it's not an inexpensive game to start with. The current KS X-treme edition comes in around C$30 more. That's a slightly better deal than the US$30 upgrade pack available through the KS.

You just have decide if all the extra dino meeples, coins, etc. are worth it to you.


I'm in for the base game and liquid expansion. Deulosaur seems a bit superfluous.


Stephanie is dead on. I bought the first edition retail at my FLGS for $79 (US), and while my son and I absolutely love the game, the first thing you notice is that there's only 1 Dino meeple: the triceratops. And it kind of bothers you every time you play.
So to back this now and get all the meeples and the metal coins makes it very much worth it, imho, because it will cost almost this much at retail without all the good stuff in the box.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback. If I do the kickstarter I could just put a bit of money away between now and November when it supposedly ships. Sounds like that may be more worth it in the long run. Never played it though so kind of a gamble!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K.
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
OuterPop wrote:
slprince wrote:
The retail version (after the first kickstarter) sold for around C$72, so it's not an inexpensive game to start with. The current KS X-treme edition comes in around C$30 more. That's a slightly better deal than the US$30 upgrade pack available through the KS.

You just have decide if all the extra dino meeples, coins, etc. are worth it to you.


I'm in for the base game and liquid expansion. Deulosaur seems a bit superfluous.


Stephanie is dead on. I bought the first edition retail at my FLGS for $79 (US), and while my son and I absolutely love the game, the first thing you notice is that there's only 1 Dino meeple: the triceratops. And it kind of bothers you every time you play.
So to back this now and get all the meeples and the metal coins makes it very much worth it, imho, because it will cost almost this much at retail without all the good stuff in the box.



I guess it's a matter of opinion. I got the retail version for about $50 from MM on the day it released. I have played it a ton and love it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The dino meeples have no impact on game play and just look cool, whether there is a variety or not. That being said, I have become a huge fan of this game over the last few months, and went all in on the kickstarter just because I want to own it all, but I still don't really believe that the x-treme edition is going to make my gameplay experience substantially better.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Astrobear wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. If I do the kickstarter I could just put a bit of money away between now and November when it supposedly ships. Sounds like that may be more worth it in the long run. Never played it though so kind of a gamble!


They've said the base game should be ready in July if you want have it shipped separately from the other stuff. Everything but the shipping costs get charged once the KS ends on the 20th... unfortunately you don't have until November to save up.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jorlbs wrote:
OuterPop wrote:
slprince wrote:
The retail version (after the first kickstarter) sold for around C$72, so it's not an inexpensive game to start with. The current KS X-treme edition comes in around C$30 more. That's a slightly better deal than the US$30 upgrade pack available through the KS.

You just have decide if all the extra dino meeples, coins, etc. are worth it to you.


I'm in for the base game and liquid expansion. Deulosaur seems a bit superfluous.


Stephanie is dead on. I bought the first edition retail at my FLGS for $79 (US), and while my son and I absolutely love the game, the first thing you notice is that there's only 1 Dino meeple: the triceratops. And it kind of bothers you every time you play.
So to back this now and get all the meeples and the metal coins makes it very much worth it, imho, because it will cost almost this much at retail without all the good stuff in the box.



I guess it's a matter of opinion. I got the retail version for about $50 from MM on the day it released. I have played it a ton and love it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The dino meeples have no impact on game play and just look cool, whether there is a variety or not. That being said, I have become a huge fan of this game over the last few months, and went all in on the kickstarter just because I want to own it all, but I still don't really believe that the x-treme edition is going to make my gameplay experience substantially better.


Until you have those baby dinos on your table and die of cuteness overload.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah okay I figured that may be the case. Oh well. Few more days to think about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Whisney
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I was looking at this game as well retail as I missed the first Kickstarter somehow. So I went and put some warnings on sites telling me when it is back in stock and yesterday I got an email from Game Nerdz telling me it was back in stock. I am not sure if it is still in stock or if they sold out right away, but I will tell you that if you did want the extra goodies it would be cheaper to go kick starter and not just retail. Granted this is in the US so I don't know if CA stores will be restocked or not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:

Until you have those baby dinos on your table and die of cuteness overload.


No, don't tempt me with cute babies, nooooo!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Astrobear wrote:
I am super interested in this game but hesitant to pay into the $130US (I live in Canada so exchange hurts a bit) for the full package.

So will there be another retail release and I can buy the extra parts over time?


my local game store is definitely ordering them again. That's no promise I guess, but its a good sign that the Canadian distributor plans to have access to new units at the end of the year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jarviskj3 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I had backed at the $85 base game level for a while, but cancelled it yesterday. The Kickstarter page is just so busy with stretch goals for the expansion and the 2p game that it feels like a backer should either just pledge at the top tier or nothing, and the top tier is more than I think I should spend on this game. I was also influenced by a well written review that felt the game only stood up to a few plays.

I look forward to trying it though, hopefully at my first BGG.con later this year! If I enjoy it, I'll consider picking up a retail copy.



This is exactly how I feel. I backed $1 to follow it and planned on grabbing the base game. But since it is unchanging with the campaign, it doesn't feel exciting like most Kickstarters. Buuuut, I encourage you to go look at the original campaign from last year, and see all the cool stuff that was unlocked for the base game. Thats what I did and it helped me realize all the cool stuff the deluxe has over the retail. I have the same "all or nothing" feel, but I'm going to just get the base game, be happy with it, and forget the fear of missing out. I've played it, it's fun, and getting just the base game is good value IMO. Cheers, and good luck deciding. -Ian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sharkey1337 wrote:
Most likely yes, but you’ll miss out on the tons of sweet exclusive content in the X-treme Editions though!


I always hate exclusives on KS campaigns. It's stupid. This game interests me but the funds are tight right now. If this shows up on retail, I'll miss out on the meeples, the added variety/specialists/meeples/and other things?

I can understand Metal coins and such. At any rate. I'm still planning on backing but as much as I despise KS exclusives, the fact that many things that add so much variety being exclusive to this particular campaign really irks the heck out of me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Miller
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you back even the lowest reward level, they'll let you buy all the premium stuff (meeples, coins, etc) for $30.

Then you can add them to the retail box later.

Still kind of pricey, but it's an option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
Interesting. Well I'm a glass blower and have a sales event this weekend and if it goes well enough I'll feel better about choosing an option. Fingers crossed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, The KS base game (x-treme) edition gets all the SGs from last campaign except pogs. So it is already filled with goodies from last KS which retail will never see. This KS is to add SGs to the expansion and Duelosaur. Pretty good value.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Shillabeer
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm in Canada too. Got the retail version and I really enjoy it. Never tried Kickstarter before but after watching demos with the deluxe edition and knowing the expansion would get a lot of play I backed immediately. Threw in duelosaur for the you choose I pick mechanism and after upgrading all to the deluxe, the small difference was worth it considering I was already paying a lot for shipping usd.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
Well I am feeling pretty persuaded here. I super appreciate all the feedback about this!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Astrobear wrote:
Well I am feeling pretty persuaded here. I super appreciate all the feedback about this!


Same! Changed my mind, currently backing the $120 level for base and expansion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fairweather
Canada
flag msg tools
ha, that makes me feel better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't backed it after selling my retail copy, but I've played both the retail and deluxe version and would highly recommend the x-treme version, if you plan to get the game at all.

When I played the retail version, I didn't feel anything was 'missing', that's absolutely true, but I had a really hard time getting into the theme and I was left with the impression that 'all dinos of the same category are the same.' Yes, mechanically, they're all the same regardless of what version you're playing, but I felt WAY more annoyed with it when playing the retail game.

Likewise, the ridiculous coins made the rather boring 'earning money' aspect seem a lot more exciting. Overall, the deluxe took the experience from.. "This is not what I expected, I'm selling my copy," to "Yes, I'd play that again."

Now granted, I still didn't feel positively enough to back because it -is- so darn expensive, but I was tempted.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never played it either, but I love the thought of it.

I don't necessarily agree with kickstarter exclusive stuff. I have missed out on a thing or two.

I am backing this with the base game and Totally Liquid expansion. Which for the most part gets you the goodies.

I never play with just two either, so deulosaur does me no good.

Do I think it will make play any better? The mechanics no, but the overall presentation, absolutely.

I have a pen full of raptors, with raptor meeples not triceratops, and some of the coolest metal coins ever.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Probably not. I love the looks of it though, and I'm in. Let me know what you decide.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.