BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Draft Rulebook Feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Baba
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Below is the link to my first draft of a rulebook. If anyone could browse it and give any suggestions that would be great! Feel free to give comments on anything, organization, wording, nitpicky stuff, anything is a help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5y1evz2m4s2lg2/Sagittarius%20A%20...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Hagans
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
quick initial feedback:

It's a little confusing that Harvest is a basic action where you get 5 basic actions per turn and each basic action can be repeated, when Harvest is limited to one attempt per solar system per turn.

Maybe it would be better to add action points and rather than have "basic actions" as a category you can have each action separate but cost 1 action point. That way you don't have to worry about exceptions to a generic rule and instead have each action type own its own rules independent of others.

For example: "on your turn you get 5 action points to spend on any actions desired, adhering to each action's rules."

Then:
MOVE(1AP) - description
Harvest(1AP) - Once per Solar System per turn, if target Solar System is at maximum bot capacity, Roll the die that is equal to the size of the Solar System you are in. (removed explanation of size) The result of the roll must be equal to or less than the number of bots that you have in that Solar System. (adding brief summary of why someone would want to harvest) Successfully Harvesting a Solar System gives the Harvesting player points for each bot that player owns in the Harvested system and locks the Solar Control preventing ownership of the Solar System from changing. See Harvesting.

Second Feedback:
Dark Matter and Solar System Size should probably have dedicated sections that explain them in more detail to avoid confusion. Arms as a term is also not defined. A player will have to infer what Arms are by looking at the board and figuring out that you say there are 5 arms, correlate that to the 5 board sections, and then see that Dark Matter token is moved to the center of an Arm and identify the center position on board. This would all be quicker to understand and easier to reference when questions come up during gameplay if there are sections in the rules which explain them.

Finally a few Questions: The basic action DESTROY does not have a lot of text. Can I only target my own bots? Can I destroy the bots of other players in my current Solar System? When a bot is destroyed does it return to the owner's supply?

I'll try to spend a little more time later and give more feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some suggestions to consider:
change the start of your game overview to address one person. It kind of changes into that as it goes on so just reword the first line.

under game objective
take out "(represented by a common color)", you make that clear in your component list
"and must compete to score as many solar points as possible"

under game setup
"Place *one of*the 15 Star Tokens (2) at the center of each Solar System"

gameplay
I suggest starting off saying you take all your actions at once rather than waiting till the end of this section to say that. Consider explaining the actions in a way where you say something like:
on your turn you have five action points. each of these actions take one action point....energy actions do not take an action point

harvesting
when is a system full of bots?

spaceship upgrades:
so you loose your upgrades if you don't win the bet?

game end:
I feel like you could delete the whole second paragraph and explain the mission cards better and in less words.

hope those quick notes help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baba
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This is all great feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to look through it!

Below are some answers to your questions, do you think that they will be FAQ or once its more clear in the rules they will be clear enough? I know FAQ will come through several blind playtest, but a starting point is nice.

- Yes you may DESTROY your own bots or other players bots in the Solar System you are in.
- When bots are destroyed, they return to the owners supply.
- Each Solar System has 6, 8, 12, or 20 locations you can place a bot, once all locations are occupied the system is full. You can't see them in the image because its a crappy photo I took with my phone.
- If you do not have the top bet or the second highest bet, you lose all of your upgrades. (If you put a bet in, but were not in the top 2 bets, you still will get to select an available upgrade)

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.