Hide
13 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: ARGH. Back to tutorial island again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Caine
msg tools
I'm about to start my 4th try on VG after an amazing and unbroken streak of bad luck on the 3rd run. I can do tutorial island with my eyes closed at this point. Do I really have to drag my explorer back there again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the ideas for craftable items will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
I'm about to start my 4th try on VG after an amazing and unbroken streak of bad luck on the 3rd run (I fought the bear and, the bear won). I can do tutorial island with my eyes closed at this point. Do I really have to drag my explorer back there again?

According to the rules? Yes.

You could try a different curse (with a different starting location) and then come back to VG another time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, you could just skip ahead to the mainland. I wouldn’t feel too bad about it.

...or play through and make a note of the items you have when you get to the mainland so you can restart there if it happens again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try another curse that starts somewhere else. Don't go to the point where you can't stand the island anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should mark this thread with light spoilers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When we were in the same boat, we played thru the island one more time. Once we reached the mainland, we did a "hard save" --- writing down the location of every card in the game. What's banished? What's in inventories/hands? What's in the Action Deck? What's in the Discard? What's in our satchel?

That way we would never have to do Tutorial Island again. Of course, that was the run we ended up winning so we never used that info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leonard
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:

...or play through and make a note of the items you have when you get to the mainland so you can restart there if it happens again.

This is going to be my path next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
I'm about to start my 4th try on VG after an amazing and unbroken streak of bad luck on the 3rd run. I can do tutorial island with my eyes closed at this point. Do I really have to drag my explorer back there again?

Yes you do. Unless of course you don't mind cheating. I couldn't do it (yeah, I'm cursed in my own way). The exploring might still be fun but knowing we cheated would take away from the sense of accomplishment. Also I'd never be able to say we beat the goddess curse. But hey, it's up to you!

Btw. the upcoming expansion will include some sort of "can't die mode".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wraxall
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILERS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avguy2 wrote:
Maximillian_Caine wrote:

Yes you do. Unless of course you don't mind cheating. I couldn't do it (yeah, I'm cursed in my own way). The exploring might still be fun but knowing we cheated would take away from the sense of accomplishment. Also I'd never be able to say we beat the goddess curse. But hey, it's up to you!

Btw. the upcoming expansion will include some sort of "can't die mode".

I myself once felt as you do. But from experience, I've skipped the island and not skipped the island, and turns it doesn't really hurt the experience much; it really doesn't weigh heavily on my soul. It feels more like missing the first scene of a movie you've already seen than it does like capital C "cheating."

I honestly would encourage everyone to try skipping the island, at least once. The experience is incredibly liberating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b c
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
I myself once felt as you do. But from experience, I've skipped the island and not skipped the island, and turns it doesn't really hurt the experience much; it really doesn't weigh heavily on my soul. It feels more like missing the first scene of a movie you've already seen than it does like capital C "cheating."

I honestly would encourage everyone to try skipping the island, at least once. The experience is incredibly liberating.

*gasp* Why would I miss the first scene of a movie?!?

Nope, afraid I can't do that. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played and failed VG 4 times. We certainly hope that our 5th attempt will be successful.

Each run is much faster than the last.

The problem is the time required to reset the Past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.