Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/5971481#item5...

Conclusion:

Smash Up is one of my families favorite games. We get every expansion upon release and really look forward to it. That '70s Expansion was not any different, but I have to admit I was more excited about it than the kids. Of course they didn't get any of the references.

Part of the charm of Smash Up is mixing (or smashing up, if you will) zombies and pirates or Dinosaurs and Aliens. The other part of the charm is the parodies and inside jokes included on the cards. That 70s Expansion continues both of these traditions. These may fall flat with players of a certain age that may not have seen the movies or heard the music they are based on. I'm sure that is true of the Game of Thrones parody also whistle

The designers of the game continue to knock it out of the park and giving us interesting things to do that fit the theme of the deck. I love how the Truckers move cards around the board. The Vigilante deck is all about getting revenge on the players. The theming of the decks is just outstanding.

You get four factions in this expansion: Truckers, Vigilantes, Kung Fu Fighting and Disco Dancing. The Truckers is based on Smokey and the Bandit and other such movies. These movies were so popular in the 70's and I remember thinking truckers were just so cool. The Vigilantes are based off movies like Death Wish and Dirty Harry. The Disco Dancing mixes disco music with Disco movies like Saturday Night Fever. The last faction is Kung Fu Fighting which mixes easily between music and Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee references.

As for powerful, these are very fun decks. I love playing the Truckers but they are hard to me as moving actions around can be tricky for me. The Vigilantes are very cool. I like mixing these with factions from other expansions, etc. I'm having a blast with this set, but I have noticed that I reach for it more than others (I always reach for the new stuff to play and try it out). I don't know if this set will get a lot of play in my family outside of my own choosing. Take that as you will if you are playing with your family.

Keeper.

Components:

The components all match the base game. The art included in the game is the usual fantastic art work we are used to. The art is all parodies of more famous scenes. I can't say enough about how much I love the art work in this game and it is so striking. The cards are very good quality and after a lot of plays I'm finally going to sleeve mine (I play too much with kids).

Rule Book:

The rule book is really good and includes rules on how to play the game, not just new rules. The last page of the book includes a great reference sheet to use when playing. So much of the rules for the game are printed on the cards so the rules give you more the structure of the game.

Flow of the Game:

There really aren't any new rules. You get 4 new factions to add to the game. I will explain more about this in different areas of this review.

Should I buy this game?:

I buy everything Smash Up because my family loves the game so much. We play the game over and over again so all the varieties and combinations really work for us. This is expansion is likely for people of a certain age that can remember the references and like the theme. People who are into dancing may like the disco references and music fans may like the Kung Fu fighting. I don't know if this is where I would start with purchasing expansions, but follow your feelings towards the theme.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1732 Smash Up: That '70s Expansion: More cliches, more parodies, but how does it stack up?
I would love to see your family play this game. Any chance of a video play through on Smash Up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1732 Smash Up: That '70s Expansion: More cliches, more parodies, but how does it stack up?
We just found the base set at a thrift store. It has been played pretty much every day by my kids. We just picked up the Pretty Pretty and Awesome Level 9000 expansions, and have our eye on the What were we thinking set next. Super fun for gaming with kids. That 70s expansion will likely be a low priority give that my kids are the primary consumer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clmdvd wrote:
I would love to see your family play this game. Any chance of a video play through on Smash Up?

We might be able to arrange that. My youngest son doesn't read yet so we help him around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
We just found the base set at a thrift store. It has been played pretty much every day by my kids. We just picked up the Pretty Pretty and Awesome Level 9000 expansions, and have our eye on the What were we thinking set next. Super fun for gaming with kids. That 70s expansion will likely be a low priority give that my kids are the primary consumer...

That's the problem with this set, only us old people get the reference. My kids love the Japan one (power rangers) and the one with Star Wars and Transformers (and the adults like Game of Thrones). Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.