Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those FAQ are based on the first Italian edition - Fantasy Flight Games already changed a few details on the rulebook for better clarity. Some answers can be obvious to people who careful read the rule booklet, but better to include them anyway.

This is already version 1.1. The 1.0 has been posted by Luigi on the Italian newsgroup it.hobby.giochi.

Bye!

Andrea

- - -

Wings of War – Famous Aces [FAQ_1.1]

Q) Why do I have 5 boards and only 4 maneuver decks?

A) Because you have a board for every model of airplane (Dr.I, Albatross, SPAD XIII, Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Triplane), while in WoW some moldels use the same maneuver deck: in this case, Dr.I and Triplanes use both the D deck.

Q) I saw that the Sopwith Triplane fire at B: shall I wait the second box to fly it?

A) No, you have Collishaw's Triplane that was one of the five to be built with a second machineguns, so it fires at A. The other three Triplane are additional cards that can be used if you get a copy of "WoW - Watch your back!", where you find a B damage deck.

Q) Is it normal to find 4 blank cards in the game?

A) Yes. They are additional cards besides the 132 cards announced on the back of the box, and you can use them as replacement or for your personal game variants. The very first print run also contains 4 more promo cards than usual (3 copies of the Ufag instead of one and 2 copies of the "Lightning Bolt" SPAD XIII): those are additional cards too, so you still get your regular 132 cards also.

Q) If using a maneuver card, that card goes out of the gaming field (but the airplane card is inside both before and after the maneuver), what shall I do?

A) Use it normally; if you play on a table, balance it on your finger until the airplane has moved. If the plane manage to stay inside the table, it is not eliminated from the game.

Q) In general, the left/right direction of a maneuver card (relevant for rudder special damages) is indicated by the big blue arrow drawn over the landscape or by the little one in the left lower corner?

A) By the little one in the left lower corner: it is actually the only reason why we put it on the card.

Q) Is a "stall Maneuver" considered a steep one?

A) Yes. The steep maneuvers are the ones with the diamond: in the first box "WoW - Famous Aces" they are the stalls (2 in each maneuver deck) and the short sideslip of the D deck (the one for Dr.I and Sopwith Triplane).

Q) Can you play a stall (that goes straight ahead) just before or after an Immelmann Turn?

A) No. Rules says: "You have to play a straight move (one with the *little arrow pointing up* symbol) just before the Immelmann Turn and one just after". If you look carefully, you notice that the stall has only a little diamond, not a little arrow pointing up.

Q) The straight maneuver after an Immelmann Turn can be used as the start of a new Immelmann Turn, or each Immelmann Turn must have *its own* starting and finishing straight maneuver? In other words, the sequence
Turn #1
1) Straight
2) Immelmann Turn
3) Straight
Turn #2
1) Immelmann Turn
2) Straight
3) ...
is corrected or should turn #2 be again as follows?
1) Straight
2) Immelmann Turn
3) Straight

A) Yes, the straight can be used for both Immelmann Turns. The first sequence is corrected: the rule that every Immelmann Turn must have a straight before and a straigh after is respected.

Q) In the drawing at page 3, the firing SPAD is pointing the ruler toward the red dot at the center of the Fokker. Must I reach that spot of the target to be able to fire, or shall I reach just any part of the card? Or any part of the airplane drawing?

A) You can just reach "any point of an eneply plane card", as from the rule in the "Firing" paragraph just above.
Having to reach the airplane drawing instead is an unofficial optional rule for better realism, that makes firing more difficult.

Q) To see if tailing is possible, shall the ruler touch the red dot on the tailed plane?

A) Yes: the rule is different from the one about firing. You shall reach that dot. And if the ruler is too short, tailing is impossible.

Q) In which order do the airplanes fire?

A) In any order, but since the rule says that the phase is ended when "all the airplanes can fire have fired", you have to shoot also with the planes that are eliminated in that gaming phase. So if a plane is fired at and reaches its maximum damage, or it explodes, it can fire anyway. This makes the firing order irrilevant.

Q) Besides the minumum lenght of the table suggested in the scenarios (70 cm, 90 cm and so on), is there any minimum width too?

A) Yes, in the scenario introduction you can read that it is 70 cm for dogfights and more for other scenarios and if more than 4 planes are involved. Usually, 90 cm is enough: but if there are plenty of planes just enlarge the gaming surface accordingly.

Q) Is it correct, at the start of the turn, to discard the last Flame counter and then check immediately if the plane can tail an enemy?

A) Very smart question. The answer is yes. Since the rules say that the plane catching fire "cannot perform tailing (see below) for the rest of the turn and for the next two turns", and the last counter is discarded at the start of the third one, you can do that.

Q) Is there any difference between green and red jamming symbols on damage cards?

A) In the basic game no, you jam with both. The difference of color is used to make optional rules: see "On the way to become an ace" scenario in the rule booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Re:Wings of War - FAQ
angiolillo (#33157),

I have a couple of questions:

Why no collisions in the game? Surely planes must have collided at times. Pilots sometimes intentionally collided with bombers and friendly collisions certainly weren't uncommon.

Why no limit to ammunition? The great limit for a dogfighting plane was running out of ammo. Would this make each scenario a bit boring as both planes run out of ammunition then fly home?

By the way the game looks excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 (#38517),
we avoided collisions for simplicity and for avoiding ram attacks of people trying on purpose to collide on enemies (well yes, it was done a few times expecially in the very early part of the war... but we preferred to avoid it anyway).

Idem for ammo. But I'll post a couple of optional rules on the apposite thread... See if you like it.

And thanks for the "excellent"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo (#39349),
There is one counter that puzzles me since no rule appear to apply to it. It's the one that looks like either: a pair of bynocular or two chimnees. What does it do? Is it for WyB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the english FAQ, it clears somethings up. And I was a bit tired when I first checked out the rules/cards. I got it better when really reading it, and checking the cards. Nice with the numbering, altough it was a bit tiny. Made it easier to sort and check all cards. (Although I have to mix the damage stack thoroughly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DjihEf wrote:
a pair of bynocular or two chimnees. What does it do? Is it for WyB?

Yes, they are. Thanks for opening the thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/39774

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo (#33157),

Great game!

A suggestion when you next revise the FAQ -

The English rules for Firing say "if the ruler can reach any point of an enemy plane card, the airplane can fire ... If the target airplane is reached by the first half of the ruler, it takes two cards". The FAQ makes clear the first point, but perhaps should explain the red line need only reach the border of the card (assuming that is your meaning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho (#42244),you are perfectly right. We meant that "the airplane" is the whole plane card, but it is not so obvious after all. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reprint is somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean and should reach the coasts of the United States in the very next days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the previous post, it was supposed to go on another article. I just wanted to say that a quite more detailed FAQ, in English, has been put today among the downloadable files. Bye and thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.