Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of making a tarot deck in die form, in much the same fashion as a set of poker dice. 78 cards of the deck neatly turns into a set of 13 triskaidekaphobic six sided dice...which is handy as many people still believe that Tarot decks utilize the "dark arts"...

I'm wondering if there is a way to pair each die with 6 "cards" that would somehow have a theme linking them...but unfortunately I just don't have enough knowledge of the cards to come up with it myself...so...

...any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a sheet of the 78 die faces for the 13 six sided dice...now I just need to figure out how to group them into sixes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eagles wrote:
I'm thinking of making a tarot deck in die form, in much the same fashion as a set of poker dice. 78 cards of the deck neatly turns into a set of 13 triskaidekaphobic six sided dice...which is handy as many people still believe that Tarot decks utilize the "dark arts"...

I'm wondering if there is a way to pair each die with 6 "cards" that would somehow have a theme linking them...but unfortunately I just don't have enough knowledge of the cards to come up with it myself...so...

...any thoughts?

Interesting idea!

It looks like there's clearly not a single "obvious" or "natural" way to do it, so you'd need to arbitrarily decide based on gameplay ideas, I think.

E.g. one approach would be to put 1-13 of each suit onto each of the 13 dice, then distribute the kings and major arcana on the remaining 2 sides of each die. This would make it possible to roll lots of each suit and lots of major arcana.

Another approach would be to put 1-6 of each suit onto a die and 7-12 of each diesuit onto a die (so that's 8 dice), then distribute the Q & K of each suit + the major arcana on the remaining 5 dice. This would give a significantly different sort of distribution.

(FWIW I do not know whether there is some standard for poker dice which could be used as inspiration.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

It looks like there's clearly not single "obvious" or "natural" way to do it, so you'd need to arbitrarily decide based on gameplay ideas, I think.

E.g. one approach would be to put 1-13 of each suit onto each of the 13 dice, then distribute the kings and major arcana on the remaining 2 sides of each die. This would make it possible to roll lots of each suit and lots of major arcana.

Another approach would be to put 1-6 of each suit onto a die and 7-12 of each die onto a die (so that's 8 dice), then distribute the Q & K of each suit + the major arcana on the remaining 5 dice. This would give a significantly different sort of distribution.

I like both ideas! Unfortunately, I like them both (at this time) equally well...[edit: I only say this because, as I like both ideas equally, I am at an impasse as to which idea to go with]

russ wrote:

(FWIW I do not know whether there is some standard for poker dice which could be used as inspiration.)

There is a "standard" way for the set of poker dice that I own. They are laid out in such a way to give the "big hands" a chance of appearing (four of a kind, royal flush...etc) so that could definitely be a way to go...ie have the dice set up in such a way to simulate some of the old trick taking tarot games...

I'm also thinking about a chit pull system where all 13 dice are chucked in a bag, and then you pull one, roll it, mark it down?, and then pull again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Personally I find this to be a better option with regard to suits. As someone who does readings, it is a significant moment when one suit dominates, and this configuration best allows for that.

In terms of how one arranges the court cards and Major Arcana, that's more of a problem, as there's going to be unevenness regardless. My approach would be to have (of the 3 dice not containing numbers) all four of the Pages, Knights, and Queens on their own dice, and then have the four Kings across the remaining spaces on the two lowest dice. Then for the remaining eleven dice, have two Major Arcana per die, staggered upwards. Doing this "equates" the Kings with the Major Arcana in their distribution, which I feel is appropriate.

So your configuration would look like this:

Die 1: 4 x 1s, King of Coins, King of Wands
Die 2: 4 x 2s, King of Cups, King of Swords
Die 3: 4 x 3s, Fool, Justice
Die 4: 4 x 4s, Magician, Hanging Man
Die 5: 4 x 5s, High Priestess, Death
Die 6: 4 x 6s, Empress, Temperance
Die 7: 4 x 7s, Emperor, Devil
Die 8: 4 x 8s, Hierophant, Tower
Die 9: 4 x 9s, Lovers, Star
Die 10: 4 x 10s, Chariot, Moon
Die 11: 4 x Pages, Strength, Sun
Die 12: 4 x Kinghts, Hermit, Judgement
Die 13: 4 x Queens, Wheel, World

It's not perfect, but I doubt there is a perfect conformation for this it's a cool idea though, and I'd love to see how it develops

It's also worth noting that my arrangement is done with readings in mind, rather than Jeu de Tarot, in the latter case, you'd want the highest scoring cards as spread out as possible. I might run some stats and try and optimise such an arrangement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A more radical idea: construct dice with detachable faces, so that the distribution of tarot cards on cube faces can be dynamically determined during play, possibly as a result of player decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HortonHearsAWho wrote:
russ wrote:

Personally I find this to be a better option with regard to suits. As someone who does readings, it is a significant moment when one suit dominates, and this configuration best allows for that.

In terms of how one arranges the court cards and Major Arcana, that's more of a problem, as there's going to be unevenness regardless. My approach would be to have (of the 3 dice not containing numbers) all four of the Pages, Knights, and Queens on their own dice, and then have the four Kings across the remaining spaces on the two lowest dice. Then for the remaining eleven dice, have two Major Arcana per die, staggered upwards. Doing this "equates" the Kings with the Major Arcana in their distribution, which I feel is appropriate.

So your configuration would look like this:

Die 1: 4 x 1s, King of Coins, King of Wands
Die 2: 4 x 2s, King of Cups, King of Swords
Die 3: 4 x 3s, Fool, Justice
Die 4: 4 x 4s, Magician, Hanging Man
Die 5: 4 x 5s, High Priestess, Death
Die 6: 4 x 6s, Empress, Temperance
Die 7: 4 x 7s, Emperor, Devil
Die 8: 4 x 8s, Hierophant, Tower
Die 9: 4 x 9s, Lovers, Star
Die 10: 4 x 10s, Chariot, Moon
Die 11: 4 x Pages, Strength, Sun
Die 12: 4 x Kinghts, Hermit, Judgement
Die 13: 4 x Queens, Wheel, World

It's not perfect, but I doubt there is a perfect conformation for this it's a cool idea though, and I'd love to see how it develops

It's also worth noting that my arrangement is done with readings in mind, rather than Jeu de Tarot, in the latter case, you'd want the highest scoring cards as spread out as possible. I might run some stats and try and optimise such an arrangement

Thank you very much for your suggestion, and your insights into readings! I’d love to see whatever research/ideas you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
A more radical idea: construct dice with detachable faces, so that the distribution of tarot cards on cube faces can be dynamically determined during play, possibly as a result of player decisions.

Ive thought of something along those lines for another game that uses LEGO to build customizable dice...I’ll post a pic later. That is an interesting thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the layout of the 13 dice, before I sticker them to the wooden blocks. In the lower left are some other dice I've been playing around with, and a tarot deck (sans art) that I am making to help with learning the cards. The card text is from, "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" by Arthur Edward Waite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.