Hide
7 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First play review: Can only play with 2 players? Don’t bother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Stratford
msg tools
Bought this idly because I’m a sucker for Japanese games. I may also just be a sucker, because this was desperately dull and now I’m down £20 that I could have spent on a meal out.

My partner and I set up the game in a few minutes, read the rules, get set up. Lots of cards, two dice, lots of money tokens. It’s quick to get going and to understand. The art style is cute. So far so good.

The basic game loop is roll a die (or two dice), get some money as a result, buy cards with money. The goal is to buy four specific cards to win. We take a few turns and buy some cards.

After about 5 minutes it becomes apparent that I’m making much more money because of the luck of the dice that means I’m gathering lots more resources and this is having a natural monopoly effect. Play continues and after 20 pretty tedious minutes I’ve won.

This game reminded me of Monopoly, weirdly. Dice rolling favours some early decisions that lock in the result within the first few plays. Perhaps this is different with more players, but as a two-player experience... just don’t!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may breathe new life into the game by trying the variant lineup of cards to purchase. Maybe not another twenty plays but you might find fun again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is better with more than 2 players, I've played it with 2-players many times, and it's worked fine for us. But we were experienced with the game before we tried it with just two.

With any game involving die/dice rolls, players should look for mitigators. In Machi Koro, a player's poor selection of cards early can be costly. What appear to be great cards may not be beneficial in the early game.

But like any game, there are many for whom Machi Koro just doesn't hit the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve had some really fun two player games. I prefer it with more, but two does work for me. Clearly, it’s not your two player cup of tea and that’s cool. Different strokes and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so you played it once for 20 minutes and feel confident in telling others not to bother with it? um.... ok....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
so you played it once for 20 minutes and feel confident in telling others not to bother with it? um.... ok....

Yup. I am repeatedly surprised by people on BGG who get to play a game one time (or not even one whole time) and then decide that the game is bad.

"No it can't possibly be that I don't get all the different strategies yet. Or that maybe I got some rule wrong. It's the game's fault".

I wish I had that kind of confidence in my own abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.C. Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the OP created a new account just to post this lame "review?" That's his contribution to this site? SMH

I've played this game many times 2 player and had fun. I think I like it better with less people because sometimes it can drag at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.