5 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Problem with the Goblins - Am I Playing Wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Berman
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry for the long post: me and my friends have played ~5-6 games of Vast with 3 people, and the results have been interesting. The Dragon wins majority of the games, with the knight coming in a close second for wins. The goblins have yet to prevail.

First question: is this a similar experience with other groups?

Second Question: are we playing the goblins wrong?

What generally ends up happening is the goblins get a bunch of good hits in early that are either inevitably healed by the knight, or never able to be capitalized on. With the dragon's hiss consistently removing powerful tribes, goblins never seem to gain enough momentum once the knight can max their strength (especially when you consider that only the fangs can overcome that without the luck of drawing into monsters).

Finally, as the cave is being built in 3 players, the goblins get locked out in a bunch of scenarios. Walls prevent them from entering into lit areas easily as tiles are revealed along the edge of the map. As tiles are revealed, my friends are good at making sure walls are always surrounding the boarders making it harder and harder to get into the board as the game goes on. Is there any way for goblins to circumvent this?

Is there something I am missing? It just seems so much harder to win as the goblins. The dragon and knight always seem useful, but the goblins seem like a constant uphill battle.

Thanks for any advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In over 40 plays, I've seen the Goblins win 4 times. I've never seen the Cave win. Victories are usually split 50/50 between the Knight and the Dragon. I don't think you're playing them wrong.

I think anything that lets the Knight heal should get taken out of the game. Even a one hit point heal pretty much takes the Goblins out. It takes two turns to get a tribe onto the board and they're usually hissed or clawed off the board by the dragon before they can get used the next turn.

You can also try playing the Goblins at the Easiest or Easy difficultly levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Chang
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I’ve won with goblins and cave. Goblins is about making that one moment count, where you have your tribes loaded up, waiting to pounce. You need to hit the knight as much as you can early in the game, and then there’ll be that period where the knight starts to build momentum and her strength is high. You’ll need to make sure you have the right monsters and secrets to finish her off. Also, ambush can be fun, but don’t hold a tribe back just for it.

As for the cave, you’re basically the conductor of the game. You attack whoever is in the lead to delay their victory. Like the knight, there’s a bit of a slog at the start, but you need to place your tiles right, predict what your opponents want to do, and place the tiles wisely. I had played against a cave player who was trying to hide the crystals deep, so it became very crystal heavy on one side. Spread them out, I suggest making the cave square, rather than have a hallway, so when you collapse, you’ll have more choices on which tiles you can collapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Berman
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response. This has been my experience as well: heal is just way way too strong and absolutely puts the goblins back 1-4 turns.

Lowering the difficulty might be another option!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joechang wrote:
I’ve won with goblins and cave. Goblins is about making that one moment count, where you have your tribes loaded up, waiting to pounce. You need to hit the knight as much as you can early in the game, and then there’ll be that period where the knight starts to build momentum and her strength is high. You’ll need to make sure you have the right monsters and secrets to finish her off. Also, ambush can be fun, but don’t hold a tribe back just for it.

As for the cave, you’re basically the conductor of the game. You attack whoever is in the lead to delay their victory. Like the knight, there’s a bit of a slog at the start, but you need to place your tiles right, predict what your opponents want to do, and place the tiles wisely. I had played against a cave player who was trying to hide the crystals deep, so it became very crystal heavy on one side. Spread them out, I suggest making the cave square, rather than have a hallway, so when you collapse, you’ll have more choices on which tiles you can collapse.

This is the truth. I've seen no problems from players using the Goblins or the Cave as long as they are following strategies along these lines. In fact, Leder himself has said that his group has stopped letting him play with the Goblins because he wins too much with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.