One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: Which is the "true" Standard difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
The rules allude two kinds of standard difficulty:

There's the regular way to play the game, where you start with no items. This is how the rulebook explains the rules.

Then there's the campaign mode. In its "Standard" difficulty, you start with a random experience card. (Not to mention any skills previously gained, which makes the game even easier than non-campaign mode.)

If this difficulty is called "Standard", why isn't it part of the main rules? Do you think the difficulty of the game is geared towards one play mode or the other? If I don't want to play the campaign, should I always start with a random XP card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign was neat, but now I just start each game with one of the “Basic Attack” cards. That seems to be all I really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Michael Hansford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Standard would be drawing one random card for experience, so you would start the dungeon with 2-4 experience depending on what you draw.

Technically, If you are not playing in the campaign mode, you would start without anything. Campaigning gives you the feel of leveling up your character, and giving it some level of customization over time, and it's a record of how many times that you've run through the gauntlet and how many of the foes that you have defeated, so you create a kind of story arc for that character; kind of like how we reflect on the experiences and adventure of DnD characters... I don't know how many times my Archer has tripped into the spiked pit, but have also seen her take out the Minataur wihout a scratch.

Though if you're just going to play for the sake of experiencing the game, then you can start anyway you choose. It's your game after all.

Aside from building up all the heroes from both sets, I'm actually working on a couple of expansions for me and my kids to play to include a boss that is truly for a 4 player game.

Hope that helps and enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Opalmox wrote:
Technically, If you are not playing in the campaign mode, you would start without anything.

That's exactly the confusing bit. What you're describing sounds like the standard mode of play, but it's not what the campaign calls "Standard".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this thread will be interesting

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1960535/one-shot-plays-addi...

In summary campaign is too easy, as you said in the OP. I think is better to forget about "standard" dificulty and focus on what kind of challenge are you looking for. Really hard (less 25% wins) sometimes win sometimes lose, etc. and adjust dificulty accordingly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
Opalmox wrote:
Technically, If you are not playing in the campaign mode, you would start without anything.

That's exactly the confusing bit. What you're describing sounds like the standard mode of play, but it's not what the campaign calls "Standard".

That’s just it. What you’re talking about is standard “for the campaign”. If you want to play a standard (basic / regular) non campaign game you just pick a character, pick a dungeon, and go at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
Opalmox wrote:

There's normal mode, and there's campaign mode.
There's a standard difficulty setting for normal mode, and a standard difficulty setting (with different rules) for the campaign mode.

I fail to see what's confusing you. Two different modes = two different rulesets. Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
I fail to see what's confusing you. Two different modes = two different rulesets. Makes sense.

I understand there are two different rulesets. That part isn't confusing.

It doesn't make sense to me that normal way of playing the campaign is by starting with an experience card, when the campaign mode already adds buffs to your character to make the game easier than non-campaign mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.