6 Posts

Terminator Genisys: Rise of the Resistance» Forums » General

Subject: If I had a Time Machine... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...instead of traveling back to eliminate my unborn enemies, I think a better use of the technology would have been to intervene, organize the appropriate tête-à-tête, get Lynnvander, River Horse, and the [seemingly, rightfully(?) maligned] SGP into a single small space and build what COULD have been the greatest, nay, PERFECT Terminator game, which would be a melding of what is being made here and what is being made [hopefully, eventually?] in that OTHER campaign.

See, no matter the junk that came out of it, I love the time travel stuff and the core conceit of the "official" first movie game. The two boards thing is fabulous and catches a fundamental theme that all other games of the license haven't. But the future skirmish stuff [in the absence of real info] looks a bit simplified. I don't wanna say half-baked, because we really don't know, but that's what it looks like.

Whereas this looks like a proper, crunchy dungeon crawl with great story elements and scenarios and all the stuff I love in a modern combatty minis board game.

Now, if THIS game was the "future" board and it ALSO had the "past" board of the other game, I think... man, THAT would be THE game. Probably overly complicated, but that's time travel for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
The Real Uberman wrote:
The two boards thing is fabulous and catches a fundamental theme that all other games of the license haven't. But the future skirmish stuff [in the absence of real info] looks a bit simplified. I don't wanna say half-baked, because we really don't know, but that's what it looks like.

As one of the developers from Lynnvander on that game (whose role in the project has long-since concluded), I can say that we struggled to build a game that would hold all of SGP's vision, without making a 5-hour monster. I know there are gamers out there who would love that sort of game, but it was at odds with our brief for target market, etc.

The Real Uberman wrote:
Whereas this looks like a proper, crunchy dungeon crawl with great story elements and scenarios and all the stuff I love in a modern combatty minis board game.

Oh, it is. Keep an eye on that KS page as we add even more enemies and more variety to the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a junky for design notes and stuff, so I do love hearing about things like this.

I guess that's what the aftermarket and fanspansions are for. If I have the patience, I could always meld the games myself.

All that said, I am quite excited to see where this is all going. Eager to get a chance to watch a playthrough of a mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
The Real Uberman wrote:
Eager to get a chance to watch a playthrough of a mission.

I mean, the gameplay video on the Kickstarter page is that. The first mission doesn't have too many of the bells and whistles though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know Genisys isn't the greatest game of all time? That future (aka your game table) hasn't happened yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Games Workshop already made Warhammer Quest in 94.

Seriously though, I love the look of this game and I really hope funding picks up. It's a real shame Zombicide launched when it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.