Subject: Looking for a tarot deck. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No PNP. I'm looking for a nice deck or two to use for storytelling games like Untold: Adventures Await. Nothing OOP unless they are on ebay/geek for cheap.

Deck 1
*Whimsical
*Cute
*Literary based a bonus

Deck 2
*Sci-fi -or-
*Steampunk
*Grity
*Dystopian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, Heather! I've spent many an hour looking at decks, and it often comes down to personal tastes. It may seem odd, but going on Amazon and searching for something like "Tarot decks" can sometimes spark some ideas.

I personally recommend the Victorian Fairy Tarot. It fits into your first category the most, with plenty of story ideas. Anything by Pauline Cassidy might also work.

Another nice visual reference can be found at Aeclectic Tarot.

Finally, I think I mentioned them before, but the StoryWorld cards by John and Caitlin Matthews might tick some boxes. They're not Tarot cards, although there are some correlations, but they're designed to inspire stories. Extremely detailed photos with writing prompts on the back make them quite useful!

I hope you find what you're looking for soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jessica. At Amazon I get a lot of books and things but not a lot of decks. I'll keep searching and have a look at the ones you recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Minol
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For scifi/gritty, I'd suggest the Shadowrun Tarot deck. It has a bit of magical and fantasy elements to it (as is the norm for Shadowrun), but it is very cyperpunk and gritty on top of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.drivethrucards.com/

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
Amazon has a Necronomicon Tarot by Donald Tyson which is quite good depending on your opinion of Lovecraft. I believe its about $30.

This Fairy tarot deck looks like it has great artwork as well: https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tarot-Cards-78-Card-Guidebook/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcanum may well be the most cost-effective way to get hold of a fantasy-themed Tarot deck.

I'm not sure if it's still available, but I really like Mage: The Ascension Tarot (1st Edition) as an option for a modern/dystopian tarot deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, the Sacred Sites Tarot is excellent for story inspiration. Amazon has only ridiculous prices for collectors, but other online sellers might come good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.