Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have just two 2-player games under our belt, and we love the game. But it seems to us that the Prudential building in Epoch IV -- which permits the owner to expand his/her grid from 4x3 to 4x4 -- is too powerful in the 2-player game, or perhaps too affordable at cost of just 4. Though I hate to tamper with a great game before we've played it a lot, I'm thinking that in the 2-player game, leaving the Prudential tile out would improve the balance.

Am I wrong? What have you experienced with it in 2-player games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW we wondered that at first -- clearly it's a nice thing to have 4x4 instead of 4x3 space for building -- but after having it appear in multiple 2-player games, I don't think it's too powerful. The player who gets it does not always win in our experience, and depending on what else is going on, sometimes the player who gets it does not really get very much use out of it. And often there is a dilemma of which of several nifty attractive tiles you want to take, and not taking this one means you get some other good one. I recall intentionally not taking it in one or more games.

BTW why would it be too powerful in 2-player games specifically, instead of more generally too powerful regardless of player count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
FWIW we wondered that at first -- clearly it's a nice thing to have 4x4 instead of 4x3 space for building -- but after having it appear in multiple 2-player games, I don't think it's too powerful. The player who gets it does not always win in our experience, and depending on what else is going on, sometimes the player who gets it does not really get very much use out of it. And often there is a dilemma of which of several nifty attractive tiles you want to take, and not taking this one means you get some other good one. I recall intentionally not taking it in one or more games.

Thanks. Yeah, in our case, the player who got it happened to have a pretty good cash-generation engine and several milestones, so it certainly was a significant advantage for that player.

russ wrote:
BTW why would it be too powerful in 2-player games specifically, instead of more generally too powerful regardless of player count?

Since we haven't played with 3-4 players yet, I didn't want to rule out that additional players might lessen the power of the building.

We look forward to playing it with more than two; we'll get our first try when we introduce it to our gaming groups this weekend. For example, in a 2-player game, if I'm dealt four buildings at the start of an epoch, my opponent is guaranteed to get at least one of those when we pass tiles. I was thinking that with 3-4 players, this is mitigated a bit, especially since the passing alternates left-right with the changing epochs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rigel Rafuse
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
We just played a 2 player game and i got Prudential. I did end up winning but i would say that it is not overpowered. While it does give a great benefit, you need a lot of money to afford putting 5 and 6 epoque tiles without the overbuild discount. Therefore, i have played many games where Prudential was not a good tile to go for because i was tighter on money that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coiner Elf Ski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, my experience is not statistically significant with having played only four two-player sessions. This tile appeared in three of the sessions. In one of them the person with the tile lost and in the other two was the winner. So, it is possible to lose even though you have this tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.