Subject: A couple questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Checked the rules, didn't find definite answers for these:

Are the available dice the maximum you can have of each color? With the heroes recruited with Captain America, I could have had 7 red dice, but since there are only 6 red dice, I used Cap's power to choose a blue instead.

If you (or another player) have a bonus token for one of the symbols (tech, mystic, etc), can it be applied to a hero or villain instead of a die if you completely miss on a roll so that you don't have to lose a die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:

Are the available dice the maximum you can have of each color? With the heroes recruited with Captain America, I could have had 7 red dice, but since there are only 6 red dice, I used Cap's power to choose a blue instead.

If you (or another player) have a bonus token for one of the symbols (tech, mystic, etc), can it be applied to a hero or villain instead of a die if you completely miss on a roll so that you don't have to lose a die?

Captain America's ability (and the rest of the Leaders) can only grant you 1 extra dice total. The only case where I have ran out of dice was due to Hulk's ability with his potential extra 4 dice.

I think you have to pay a dice but I'm not totally sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I had Captain America (4 red), Hulk (+1 for Cap's ability), Hulk had 4 damage on him (+2), and I had Drax and had an enemy in my sector. So according to the cards in play I should be able to roll 8 red dice.

But with only 6 red dice in the box, I think that might be the maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:

The dice included do limit the dice pool available.

You must assign or forfeit a die with each roll. You cannot assign a Bonus Token and have that count for assigning a die.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
On a related note, or maybe the same note, we didn't understand the mechanic for dice appearing and disappearing.

Or in other words, where do the dice come from when you roll at the beginning of the turn? If there were three red dice already on cards, where do all of the six dice come from?

Or do you lose the dice on the cards at the end of each turn and they go back to the pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
On a related note, or maybe the same note, we didn't understand the mechanic for dice appearing and disappearing.

Or in other words, where do the dice come from when you roll at the beginning of the turn? If there were three red dice already on cards, where do all of the six dice come from?

Or do you lose the dice on the cards at the end of each turn and they go back to the pool?

I, too, am unclear on this rule. If you aren’t able to assign all required dice to a card on a single turn (say you assigned one of the two listed on the card), does that die stay on the card? Or is an all-or-nothing thing where incomplete sets of dice are removed at the end of each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In step 5 you resolve all dice. Dice do not stay on the cards after your turn ends. You have to assign all the necessary dice in a single turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Which part of step 5 in the rule booklet says that resolving dice includes removal of the dice?

We're not disputing it, but rather pointing out that the rules don't seem very clear on this point. Either that, or we're missing it.

Thanks!

The other reason we wonder is that, without accumulating dice on a card, it seems highly problematic that you'll ever get any cards that will help you win. Since you only roll four dice per turn starting out, you can't get any Heroes that cost more than 4.

And those 3- and 4- cost heroes don't provide extra dice. So unless you manage to get a color matching your leader, you're out of luck. The lower hit-dice Heroes mostly heal damage so you can keep going, but you're not any more likely to get the Heroes that give you more dice.

Or in other words, you need more dice to get the Heroes that give you more dice.

The alternative is to fight Villains and get Bonus Tokens (BTs) to help you. But the BTs are kind of a mixed bag. The fact that you can share them cooperatively helps a bit. It also requires that you draw a Villain or two early on. Because later when your Heroes start dropping and more villains come out, you're too deep in the hole to dig yourself out.

At the very least, any number of bad draws can hurt you. A non-villain draw, or a draw of 5+ cost heroes, and it's pretty much game over, man, game over.

That's why it seemed like accumulating dice was really necessary. Being stuck with four dice really limits your options. And nothing in the rules that we could find says that they're removed at the end of turn. Thus our question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
In fairness, Friday and Okoye are both powerful and cheap. Their ability lets you have a better chance of getting the other 3-4 costers. Although they don't give you any more dice.

So your basic strategy is to hope they come out. Then hope they're in sectors where Thanos and his Villains (through luck or placement) won't tear you apart. Use them to get someone who matches your leader's ability to get your fifth dice. Hope you get healers like Wong, Mantis, Groots, Statesman, Guardian's Ship, and Royal Talon to keep you getting until that comes all together.

Without saving dice from turn to turn, that's about the best you can hope for. Although there's a bit too much "hope" in there to give us much hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early on you should be after recruitment's that benefit the 2x dice sides your team has available.

Early on always good to go after a general if he is up ... easy to hit and often times the Bonus Token is very helpful to recruitment's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Pouliot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'm going to second this question about leaving dice out if the total roll was unsuccessful, but dice were assigned. In the opening deal, we got 5 villains (including the 4 children of Thanos) which meant that the entire game lasted literally 3 turns because of so much damage being dealt so quickly, killing our heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
After having played a dozen games or so and not having won one, I'd have to repeat my question. Where is there a rule, guideline, sentence, etc., stating that dice on cards are discarded at the end of each player's turn?

Because winning a game when you do sure seems near impossible. You might be able to win... but the heroes that are easier to recruit are also the ones that die more easily. Yes, they heal when you recruit them. But assuming they do come out, an early Proxima can kill them off. You seem to need the "kept" dice not only to get them, but to defeat the villains so they don't pick your team off.

Also, eliminating dice saving seems to remove a fairly strategic element from the game. If dice don't stay on a card in the sector... there's far less reason for the next person to go into the sector. And a bit less co-up. (Hopefully) Setting up the next player also helps to avoid minimizing the less useful teams. Which admittedly are somewhat random. But if, say, you've got Black Panther and the only blue heroes are 5+ cost, good luck trying to get Black Panther a same-colored teammate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
After having played a dozen games or so and not having won one, I'd have to repeat my question. Where is there a rule, guideline, sentence, etc., stating that dice on cards are discarded at the end of each player's turn?

You won't find it in the rulebook. But catch any number of youtube play-throughs (some that involve USAopoly designer) and it should be clear. We mostly play 3 or 4 players and have gotten where we rarely lose, but often barely win. We get to 7 villains and delcare _Easy_ beat, and then continue for 10 villains.

Gislef wrote:
Because winning a game when you do sure seems near impossible. You might be able to win... but the heroes that are easier to recruit are also the ones that die more easily. Yes, they heal when you recruit them. But assuming they do come out, an early Proxima can kill them off. You seem to need the "kept" dice not only to get them, but to defeat the villains so they don't pick your team off.

Note that difficulty seems to go up as the player count increases so if your only experience is 4 player then yep, it is in fact difficult.

Proxima for us is an "all hands on deck" situation. Damaging the villains is never difficult, but it's skipping on what you would rather be doing that hurts.

Gislef wrote:
Also, eliminating dice saving seems to remove a fairly strategic element from the game. If dice don't stay on a card in the sector... there's far less reason for the next person to go into the sector. And a bit less co-up. (Hopefully) Setting up the next player also helps to avoid minimizing the less useful teams. Which admittedly are somewhat random. But if, say, you've got Black Panther and the only blue heroes are 5+ cost, good luck trying to get Black Panther a same-colored teammate.

There is plenty of co-op for us in this game, but in terms of "sector selection" for us the only co-op is usually the coordinated killing of villains ASAP. The 4 children of Thanos are game ending if you let them linger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
The playthru video we've seen, with Andrew Wolff, has him entirely skipping the "forfeit a dice to reroll" rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCFDDw7r8A

5:50 mark

Skipping the forfeit rule would make the game more playable, in our opinion. Although there's an obvious flaw that Andrew glosses over: what if he doesn't get enough to recruit Black Widow with the remaining two dice? Does he keep rerolling until he does? That'll he eventually pull it off is inevitable. So presumably there's a limit in rerolls, although it's not mentioned in that video.

Or do you get one "free" reroll" Are we misreading the forfeit rules?

You'd think the game designer would know the game. So it's not clear if that's a rule change, or a mistake he made with the game he designer (??), or an early draft, or what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
matthewabair wrote:
There is plenty of co-op for us in this game, but in terms of "sector selection" for us the only co-op is usually the coordinated killing of villains ASAP. The 4 children of Thanos are game ending if you let them linger.

We tried that. The problem is that you've only got 4 dice. Even hitting a two-hit villain means forfeiting the chance to recruit pretty much anyone. Some Bonus Tokens can really sway the game, some are pretty eh. Like a symbol token over a dice token.

You can recruit heroes to get more dice. But at least for us, that tends to give the villains an insurmountable lead because you're not taking out villains. Not to mention recruiting heroes is the way more villains come out on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
The playthru video we've seen, with Andrew Wolff, has him entirely skipping the "forfeit a dice to reroll" rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCFDDw7r8A

5:50 mark

Skipping the forfeit rule would make the game more playable, in our opinion. Although there's an obvious flaw that Andrew glosses over: what if he doesn't get enough to recruit Black Widow with the remaining two dice? Does he keep rerolling until he does? That'll he eventually pull it off is inevitable. So presumably there's a limit in rerolls, although it's not mentioned in that video.

Or do you get one "free" reroll" Are we misreading the forfeit rules?

You'd think the game designer would know the game. So it's not clear if that's a rule change, or a mistake he made with the game he designer (??), or an early draft, or what.

Geesh, cut the guy some slack for being on camera?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
matthewabair wrote:

We're not sure who you're referring to. We didn't say he was wrong or made a mistake or whatever. The opposite, really.

You were the one who said to watch the playthrough videos with the designer. Right?

We'll look for more videos today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
matthewabair wrote:

We're not sure who you're referring to. We didn't say he was wrong or made a mistake or whatever. The opposite, really.

You were the one who said to watch the playthrough videos with the designer. Right?

We'll look for more videos today.

Yep, note the smiley on my comment. I'm pretty sure I would get my home address wrong if I had a camera on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
In fairness, we made a mistake about the rules (and an unrelated group that we just met as well) which led to our confusion.

However, the video is correct, albeit incomplete.

So the game designer didn't make a mistake.

Oh, and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.