Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon M.
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I have a quick question and I’m not sure where else to ask it, but does anyone here have recommendations for games similar to 4 Against Darkness? Specifically, I would love a sci-fi themed game that could be played solo or cooperatively. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this too, something along the lines of Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident and all the sci-fi movies where a derelict ship is found floating in space...

That might be a summer project for me this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not sci-fi themed, but the pnp Citadel of Blood or Barbarian Prince could fit your interests. Also, the pnp Magic Realm Light 30 is surprisingly deep for a one page game system, and Dungeon Solitaire: Labyrinth of Souls uses playing cards to generate the dungeon adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chamoxil wrote:
It's not sci-fi themed, but the pnp Citadel of Blood or Barbarian Prince could fit your interests. Also, the pnp Magic Realm Light 30 is surprisingly deep for a one page game system, and Dungeon Solitaire: Labyrinth of Souls uses playing cards to generate the dungeon adventure.

Wow, citadel of blood looks great. I may need to try my hand at my first print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chamoxil wrote:

MAGIC REALM LIGHT 30 really is like a wilderness version of 4AD insofar as you draw the map by hand, just need a short rules printout to play, etc. It's a cool little game. Not much variety as far as encounters, but there is an expansion now which I have yet to try. It's meant to be a tutorial to prepare players for the real Magic Realm, but it works as a minigame all of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chamoxil wrote:

Don't forget Barbarian Vince.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon M.
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rockinghorsedreams wrote:
I've been thinking about this too, something along the lines of Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident and all the sci-fi movies where a derelict ship is found floating in space...

Holy shit yes, dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came across this gamebook system that seems like it'd scratch the 4AD itch. Fabled Lands Gonna order one of the books to see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The chapter driven games by darkcitygames.com have simular role play elements, but less replay than 4AD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff
msg tools
chicagopsych wrote:
The chapter driven games by darkcitygames.com have simular role play elements, but less replay than 4AD.

And sci-fi Adventures as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockinghorsedreams wrote:

This is not quite the same thing... it has set up time, a much bigger footprint, and a longer gameplay time. As well it is possibly not every player's cup of tea, as it is not light (like 4AD) and it takes a certain personality to be fine with always having one's marines turned into cat food.

That being said, it is really an enjoyable game if you do not mind truly rotten things happening. It really is a solo Spacehulk, and a blast to play .

The only things I think are a drawback to the game is:

1. Rules learning and retention is a bit hard as it does a few more 'moving parts', so I always have to re-read a lot of the rulebook if I leave it for more than 3 months between plays and

2. The aforementioned slaughter of my marines. shake I am not a very lucky player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Magnus Maximus wrote:
chamoxil wrote:

MAGIC REALM LIGHT 30 really is like a wilderness version of 4AD insofar as you draw the map by hand, just need a short rules printout to play, etc. It's a cool little game. Not much variety as far as encounters, but there is an expansion now which I have yet to try. It's meant to be a tutorial to prepare players for the real Magic Realm, but it works as a minigame all of its own.

Magic Realm Light is a fun little game on it's own.
Since I own a copy of Magic Realm, I play it using components from MR rather than as a pnp game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot an email to Andreas, the designer! He's made a sf version of Song of Blade and Heroes, so may be designing, or know of a fan who's designing, a SF4AD.

So what would *you* replace a dungeon with?

Most sf RPGs replace classes with skills. Traveller's classes might also be a good source of ideas to rip off -- er, start with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rees
msg tools
chamoxil wrote:
It's not sci-fi themed, but the pnp Citadel of Blood or Barbarian Prince could fit your interests.

Star Smuggler follows the same model as Barbarian Prince (i.e. you travel from place to place, have random encounters, and try to make money), but it is sci-fi themed. Both can be downloaded for free (legally!) from here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried Ancient Odysseys or Scarlet Heroes? Do they work well as solo? Because the OP asked about sci-fi - anyone tried Hulks and Horrors solo? Impressions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Stanford
msg tools
I'm a little late, but I just picked up 4AD yesterday and skimmed the book and it reminds me a LOT of Shadows of Brimstone, but on paper. I could easily see someone taking Brimstone and charting out the map pieces and card pieces and putting them on randomized tables to roll against (instead of drawing a card to see which map piece to add).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Shoot an email to Andreas, the designer! He's made a sf version of Song of Blade and Heroes, so may be designing, or know of a fan who's designing, a SF4AD.

So what would *you* replace a dungeon with?

Most sf RPGs replace classes with skills. Traveller's classes might also be a good source of ideas to rip off -- er, start with!

Instead of a fantasy adventuring party going into dungeons to look for treasure you could be a salvage crew checking out derelict space crafts. A Derelict space craft could look similar to the dungeon rooms we have (it worked for Space Hulk). Melee weapons might be practical if you are worried about damaging the hull. I think it would be a pretty cool reskin project for 4AD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not scifi, and I haven't played it, but I have my eye on D100 Dungeon.

Has anyone tried that one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
mbmbmbmbmb
Starport Scum by Nordic Weasel Games might be an option, Now, the game is pegged as a miniature game/rpg hybrid, so you probably want a handful of figures (pawns, coins, counters) to play out the scenarios, on the other hand, Ivan of Nordic Weasel always puts a lot of emphasis on solo playability and campaign play in his rules, so expect a freighter load of random generation tables. I haven't played the system yet, so can't tell how much it actually scratches the same itch as 4AD, but from the title you can see that you'll be thrown into the seedier part of SF, the crew of a free trader trying to find a job in some backwater colony to pay off their debts, etc...
Pdf on WargameVault or Drivethrurpg

Or, if pen and note book is a strict requirement: SOLO by Zozer Games, also on Drivethru, or in print.
That one is built on the Cepheus engine which is a free clone of the Traveller rpg and not entirely standalone, so you will need either Cepheus or one of the Traveller iterations (I suggest the "Little Black Books", or Classic version of the game - cheap, and low rules intensity) in addition to SOLO, but then you're free to roam your sandbox galaxy. Exploration, trading, etc.

-
Short version: no there's no 4AD equivalent for SF out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
mbmbmbmbmb
And I forgot the obvious candidate(s): Two Hour Wargames 5150 line of Scifi "Light Rpg's". Those are built for solo/same side play from the ground up.
Urban Renewal gives you a city to play with and in, New City P.I expands that (and if you think Blade Runner you wouldn't be wrong), Fringe Space is the above mentioned Freetrader crew in the backwater colony, etc...

To see if you're fine with the core system (almost everything is resolved with a "roll 2d6, look for successes" - how many successes determines the game effect, or the opponents reaction), you can test the waters with the free Chain Reaction rules.
Not everyone gets along with the kinks of the system and some (many?) have issues with the organisation of the rules (I'm one of them), so I wouldn't go all in at first - try the mini combat-centric Chain reaction to get acquainted with the system, then maybe go with Urban Renewal to see it applied to non-combat situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also

2 Hour Dungeon Crawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
Fantasy: DestinyQuest series, Blood Sword series, Castle of Blackwood Moors.
Scifi: Star Bastards, Heart of Ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Space D6 is purely solo and an exciting, well designed little game. It has recently been reissued with a successful Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Lunsford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely LOVING D100 Dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaddiel wrote:
Absolutely LOVING D100 Dungeon!

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.