Subject: Artillery Barrage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Standing/Creeping: My reading of this is that I get to see where the SR lands and THEN am able to decide (from a choice of three) which hex grain is affected. Surely I should declare the hex grain before the scatter.

Local: By inference, the SR is removed at the end of the attack, though it doesn't explicitly say so. Not sure why you aren't allowed to continue a Local barrage (with the guns 'registered').

Apparently there is no penalty for moving through the Impact markers of a Standing/Creeping Barrage.

Presumably the 'Under Shot' Strategy Card can only be used against a Standing/Creeping Barrage which is currently on the map, which is odd because Creeping Barrages in particular would move forward to a timetable which the guys on the battlefield had little influence over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Svensson
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Standing/Creeping: My reading of this is that I get to see where the SR lands and THEN am able to decide (from a choice of three) which hex grain is affected. Surely I should declare the hex grain before the scatter.

Agreed

beresford wrote:

Local: By inference, the SR is removed at the end of the attack, though it doesn't explicitly say so. Not sure why you aren't allowed to continue a Local barrage (with the guns 'registered').

True, and this could be applied to Combat Commander as well.

beresford wrote:

Apparently there is no penalty for moving through the Impact markers of a Standing/Creeping Barrage.

Yes, but this seems mostly fine by me: The most common case will be of attackers moving through the Impact markers of their own barrage, which means the barrage has ended.

beresford wrote:

Presumably the 'Under Shot' Strategy Card can only be used against a Standing/Creeping Barrage which is currently on the map, which is odd because Creeping Barrages in particular would move forward to a timetable which the guys on the battlefield had little influence over.

No, the card can be used against any time of artillery attack, if you play it right after the spotting round has been placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
boredoom wrote:
beresford wrote:

Agreed

Yep, section O19.2.1.4 Impact and Artillery Barrage, when the Artillery Impact markers are placed, comes after O19.2.1.1 Spotting. I think simplicity is key here.
Quote:
beresford wrote:

True, and this could be applied to Combat Commander as well.

"By inference" is correct beresford (cf. the last sentence of O19.2.1.4.2), although it doesn't really matter.
Great War Commander wrote:
O19.2.1.4 Impact and Artillery Barrage

If the player has chosen Local Barrage Attack, the SR’s hex and each adjacent hex will be affected.

If the player has chosen Standing/Creeping Barrage Attack, the seven hexes in a straight row of adjacent hexes having as its middle the SR hex will be affected. The active player places one Artillery Impact marker in each of the three hexes radiating from two opposite sides of the SR hex, so as to form a perfectly straight row.

O19.2.2 Subsequent Bombardment Procedure
If he wants to continue hitting the same area as the previous Artillery attack and the currently chosen Bombardment type is Standing/Creeping Barrage, he leaves the SR in place and performs the new Order skipping Spotting and Accuracy (the guns have become registered to the target area).

So you only place Impact Markers when using a Standing/Creeping Barrage; and you can only use a Standing/Creeping Barrage to forego the spotting procedure, so it doesn't matter if you leave a Local Barrage's SR on the map- you won't gain any benefit from it. I've belaboured this a bit, but only to show that the rules as written do cover it.
Quote:
beresford wrote:

Yes, but this seems mostly fine by me: The most common case will be of attackers moving through the Impact markers of their own barrage, which means the barrage has ended.

Yep, that is so.
Quote:
beresford wrote:

No, the card can be used against any time of artillery attack, if you play it right after the spotting round has been placed.

I disagree with Peter here.
S98.1 Situations
The main text on a SC informs the player on how to use that Card as a Situation, sometimes also limiting the use of the Card to the scenarios happening in certain years only. If not otherwise specified, a player can use a SC as a Situation any time during his Turn (only).

S98.3.9 Under Shot
Displace your opponent’s on map SR and Artillery Impact markers 2 hexes in the direction of his map edge.

So beresford is right here, because of how Strategy Cards are used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Svensson
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:

I disagree with Peter here.
S98.1 Situations
The main text on a SC informs the player on how to use that Card as a Situation, sometimes also limiting the use of the Card to the scenarios happening in certain years only. If not otherwise specified, a player can use a SC as a Situation any time during his Turn (only).

S98.3.9 Under Shot
Displace your opponent’s on map SR and Artillery Impact markers 2 hexes in the direction of his map edge.

So beresford is right here, because of how Strategy Cards are used.

Ah! That ... sucks. One-shot fire missions would be way more likely to undershoot than a standing barrage. I may house-rule this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boredoom wrote:

Ah! That ... sucks. One-shot fire missions would be way more likely to undershoot than a standing barrage. I may house-rule this one.

BTW I agree that you SHOULD be able to use it when the artillery is initially placed. Though I also think you should be able to 'correct' Local Barrages rather than going through the whole sequence again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boredoom wrote:

Undershoot simulates 2 things:
artillery undershoots
OR
the troops moved too quick and are now under friendly fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Svensson
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonzillou wrote:

Undershoot simulates 2 things:
artillery undeshoots
OR
the troops movedd too quick and are now under friendly fire

Ah, good way to look at it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.