Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Are the cards a standard size that will fit standard card sleeves? Does anyone know what brand and type of sleeves will fit? I do not own or have played Space Base, so I cannot measure for myself. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are currently no sleeves that fit these cards. We are looking into making some available in the near future, and if that is a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle A
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Librarian
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy some if they existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wise
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
What are the card dimensions? I will likely end up using existing sleeves and trimming them for length if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also buy card sleeves, if they are made at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might buy the card sleeves if they were available, but it'd be very price-dependent. As this is not a game where the cards are handled much and I'd be concerned about whether the sleeves would make it harder to tuck cards under the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that even using a simple cloth table covering makes a huge difference on picking the cards up and sliding them under the board and/or one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the actual card dimensions? Based on the pictures they look like they might be French Tarot sized cards, and there are sleeves for cards that size:

https://ultimateguard.com/en/board-game-sleeves/premium-boar...

63 x 115 mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle A
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Librarian
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlB wrote:
What are the actual card dimensions? Based on the pictures they look like they might be French Tarot sized cards, and there are sleeves for cards that size:

https://ultimateguard.com/en/board-game-sleeves/premium-boar...

63 x 115 mm.

No, they're much smaller than that. About 38 x 89 mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Bunn
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
There are currently no sleeves that fit these cards. We are looking into making some available in the near future, and if that is a possibility.

Absent sleeves that fit the cards, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever I would ever consider buying the game at all.

Even with sleeves being made available, it would be a tough sell. At this point in my gaming hobby, I'm getting incredibly frustrated with publishers using arbitrary card sizes, and proliferating a ridiculous variety. If you look at the "card sizing chart" from Mayday, the problem becomes crystal clear to anyone. There are FAR too many "standard" card sizes being used now. Yet instead of using any of the "standards" that already exist, AEG decided the thing to do was to create yet another card size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KBunn wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Absent sleeves that fit the cards, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever I would ever consider buying the game at all.

Even with sleeves being made available, it would be a tough sell. At this point in my gaming hobby, I'm getting incredibly frustrated with publishers using arbitrary card sizes, and proliferating a ridiculous variety. If you look at the "card sizing chart" from Mayday, the problem becomes crystal clear to anyone. There are FAR too many "standard" card sizes being used now. Yet instead of using any of the "standards" that already exist, AEG decided the thing to do was to create yet another card size.

This is convoluted and illogical thinking. The cards are the correct size. If the cards were any wider, the player board would be too large to be manageable. To think a game company would create a new card size just for the heck of it seems unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozhan Sen
Japan
Itabashi-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to pass as well if there is no sleeving this title.

Games are expensive here (shipping, etc). So I would rather invest in ones that that I can keep in a good shape for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Powell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I will probably laminate my cards. That is what I did with the cards from Betrayal at House on the Hill. My husband bought a laminator from Amazon, but I am the one who uses it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today. Wow. There really is no way to sleeve these cards, even with trimming. Sandra, please let us know how your laminating pans out. That seems painful and also unruly to shuffle and whatnot. Hopefully AEG can get some custom sleeves made. Til then, it'll sit on my shelf, collecting dust. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Rae
Germany
flag msg tools
Just picked upy copy today. Not only is sleeving not possible but the cards are unbelievably thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to be thin to fit under the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Rae
Germany
flag msg tools
I can see what you mean. But These are almost as thin as paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet still on hard top tables they can be stubborn to fit under the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

I would attribute this to the boards being not perfectly flat or arched to allow the cards to easily slide underneath. I just lift the board slightly when sliding the card underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Privatt
United States
Ham Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should have done more research.

These things are less than half the width of a standard card, but about as long. No way can a sleeve be modified to fit them.

Hopefully they come out with a sleeve. Not sure I would want to laminate, but that may be the only option. They seem really thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KBunn wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Games are meant to be played. It’s a good one so you’re missing out. What’s the worst that can happen? A scuff on a card? Better things to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Miller
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KBunn wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Not all games need sleeves. I get wanting to protect an investment, but this sleeving OCD that some folks suffer from seems to cause more artificial drama than it is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Rae
Germany
flag msg tools
Leave us to suffer from our sleeving madness , mine started with Magic back in the early 90s and has just carried on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

I ended up placing the deployed ships on top of the board. I just place it under the station ship. Works better for me. Easier to just rotate the deployed ship card, put it back on the board. Slide it (and any other deployed ships) up a bit. Then place the new station card on top.

With regard to sleeving cards, I don't think it is the best thing to do. The cards need to be placed side by side on your board. A sleeved card means the sleeve is going to be wider. Even with a perfectly fitting sleeve, cards next to each other will have less space between them (if any at all). It would make deploying ships more difficult without accidentally moving the line of ship cards next to it.

So far, my cards have not shown signs of being worn and I've played it about a dozen times so far. I don't consider a slightly marked card to be a that big of an issue with this game. Cards are shuffled once per game. I place my deployed ships on top of the board, so there is less of a chance the board will cause the cards to scuff much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.