Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Why did you decide that 4Chan was going to be one of the factions to get into space and exploit the solar system?

2. Why make them left-wing? Surly their ideology is much more aligned with libertarianism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be generous here and assume it was probably a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Mote
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Remember friends, space and politics don't mix...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
1. Why did you decide that 4Chan was going to be one of the factions to get into space and exploit the solar system?

2. Why make them left-wing? Surly their ideology is much more aligned with libertarianism.

I will let someone else answer this since I know nothing about 4Chan or P2P. The "radical" factions were designed by fans as a variant as developed on the living rules. They were deliberately intended to be counterfactual, so as to (for instance) decouple totalitarianism from always being associated with China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, some thoughts:

- The faction is "Anonymous", rather than "4Chan".

- Assigning an ideology for Anonymous (or especially 4Chan) seems futile (I'm not sure it's a great idea for a faction to begin with).

- A radical egalitarian, decentralised group would make sense though. "low economic freedom and high personal freedom" is how Nolan charts define the extreme left. "high economic and personal freedom" is Libertarianism. I'm not aware of "4Chan" or "Anonymous" espousing any ideological points on the economy, but I could imagine a similar-looking collective that could.

- Nolan charts are a bit rubbish really, as are any political charts. It's better than most attempts, I suppose.

- The political system in High Frontier is not a particularly satisfying or well developed part of the game, but I understand the underlying intent. I would really like this to be developed more, since I think it could be something special.

- Phil's definitions of political ideologies are somewhat... idiosyncratic? They're defined, certainly, but there's certainly arguments that they're defined incorrectly, or at least unusually. See: a current RSP thread that's still ongoing.

So... yeah, probably not worth taking it too seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
CharlieMote wrote:

Remember friends, space and politics don't mix...

I'll give you two WTs to say it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
I will let someone else answer this since I know nothing about 4Chan or P2P. The "radical" factions were designed by fans as a variant as developed on the living rules.

Thanks for the honest response.

phileklund wrote:
They were deliberately intended to be counterfactual, so as to (for instance) decouple totalitarianism from always being associated with China.

Is it really counterfactual to associate Russian regimes (given that Russia is the Radical Red faction) with totalitarianism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:

- The political system in High Frontier is not a particularly satisfying or well developed part of the game, but I understand the underlying intent. I would really like this to be developed more, since I think it could be something special.

So please help redesign the political system just for the Radical Factions, replacing the legacy Political system of the legacy factions with the new one, intended for the radical factions. There is a thread of mine launched in the variants section (Radical politics). In this way you may contribute to it being developed more and special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Anonymous...
The comet riders, the smart ones. Greetings from the early Phaeton or Schwachsmann-Wassman mines from the alligned Callypso clan supported by Siren hackers during Egalitarian policy for which thanks to Calypso sail (hiding water FFT from the home orbit) Anonymous is immune. Thanks to Siren Anonymous is immue to low funds for FINAO. Oh, befare of the Bernal, it works well without a reactor during Anti-Nuke, carrying the party far away. And that aerobraking Mars crew hunting for early C venture (no need to return home), or a futher away comet hunting (new tries, new people...). Or that beloved Anarchy policy depriving other factions of their abilities. Heard of Attica voting for us? We decide when to claim jump and especially when to attack.
That blockchain technology, those smart contracts, that secure computation making state-control tax system obsolete. Isn't it a faction of the future? A wild tribal future of small communities. Who will, as the time passess, adopt ethics from other factions and marry them with the post-state mentality. A community of communists? nationalists? capitalist? religious? libertines? ecologists? aristocracy? conservatists? Vote with your feet, not a hand. Or a net. Choose the system to live in. The natural selection (and Provinence) will verify which small community has the best rules to live with.
Yes, they are libertarians but they don't know it yet. They think they are greeeeeeen but sooner or later they will promote and discover their potential.
Spreading post-state policy on the beehive comet towards another stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
logopolys wrote:
Is it really counterfactual to associate Russian regimes (given that Russia is the Radical Red faction) with totalitarianism?

It is in that totalitarism isn't just a worst blend of authoritarism. As a rule of thumb, authoritarian regimes tend to exclude most people from politcs, "shut up and be get on with your puny lives", while totalitarian regimes vie to dissolve society into its state-party apparratus, trying to phagocyte every social relations,leaving the individual alone in the clutches of the state.

Post-soviet Russia can certainly be described as an authoritarian regime, at least according to western standards, but it is not trying to brainwash its population into jumping towards a brave new world without consideration for their own lives...

Edit: The concept of totalitarism as always been somewhat fuzzy, though, so it may depend on what Phil had in mind when using that word for the ryles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.