1775: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: 1775 Rebellion vs Liberty or Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lach
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Am looking into getting one of these two games (budget tells me I don't want both of them) and was interested in getting comments on the two games - gameplay, replayability, solo playability, other factors. Understand that these have different levels of complexity (not really a concern for me) but if anyone else went through an evaluation to decide to buy either or both and what factors swayed them to one or the other - this would be very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
They are two completely different games. I recommend watching some of the play through videos on YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
They aren't really similar games at all. I own 1775 and have cast longing eyes on a few games in the COIN series but haven't played any so far.

1775 is a 2 player area control game at it's core. I have played several solo learning games but wouldn't consider it solo friendly. The crux of the game end scoring system revolves around if and when both factions on a side draw and play their truce cards. This is open information in a solo game, so that part of the game is negated. Academy is coming out with an expansion for 1775, so that may change.

1775 is very replayable in my opinion. The game setup is very quick because the starting positions are all marked on the board. There is an additional scenario but we almost always play the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... these are very very very different games. I would strongly suggest watching some video reviews of both before buying them. I have played 1775 with 10 year olds, and they understood how to play. (None of them by the way were native English speakers.)

LoD is a fairly heavy wargame (even though the COIN series aren't really wargames in my opinion). I have trouble explaining the LoD to people over 30 years old. It's a deeper and more strategic game. If you are interested in the COIN series though (which LoD is a part of), I would recommend starting with Falling Sky or Cuba Libre.

If you're looking for something in between these two games, I would recommend Washington's War.

And just so you know player counts:

1775 plays 2-4 however it's really a 2v2 game.

LoD plays 1-4 however in my opinion it's really a 3.5 as one faction (The French) don't really do anything for a good chunk of the game. It also plays solo.

WW plays 2 and only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28804342#28804342
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lach
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the comments thus far. I understand that these are different games and I have been watching playthroughs of both games. That's part of my problem. I do see positives from both game systems. Just thought I'd put this question out to others to see if anything in particular swayed them to like CoD or 1775. Maybe you didn't ever consider one vs the other for some reason. Knowing that reason can also be of help here. I do have Washington's War and am looking to expand my collection on this topic. These seem to both be excellent additions. Anyway, thanks for the responses thus far and any that may follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. I enjoy both. However 1775 gets to the table more often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
I have both. I enjoy both. However 1775 gets to the table more often

Agreed on that, but LoD is the more interesting game. I have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games will teach very incorrect historical lessons, so just go with the one you have more fun with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Like most others above, I also have both. But mostly because each fills a different niche (and thus a different mood).

So which mood are you shopping for???

Are you shopping for a light, fun, family/party game? Then buy 1775.
(And BTW, I used the "party" category as IMHO, 1775 works equally well as a fun four player game as it does as a two player game. As a matter of fact, my 2-player games have been more of a cerebral experience while my 4-player games have been more of a fun, laughing experience because of the added group dynamics).

or,

Are you shopping for a heavier strategic, cerebral game? Then buy Liberty or Death.
(LoD works best at 2 or 3 players. Solo is really enjoyable as well. And it does work as a four player game, but as mentioned above, the French player needs to be OK with playing a limited role in the beginning. It's not the whooping and laughing sort of experience that 1775 can be, as when playing with four players the group dynamics will be more thoughtful and subdued. But for players who enjoy games with interesting strategy, it's just as fun as 1775).

Bottom Line: Two different games to fill two different niches for two different moods. Make your budget tell you that you do want both of them. Problem solved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.