Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...is now very easy. The high-tech copy facility down the road has four gigantic flat-bed machines that can print on anything and then cut out anything, in any way. Scanning game-related sheets into their computers allows cut lines to be created, which these machines recognise with pin-point accuracy. There isn't a lot of human labour involved, save improving the original art with a sharpen command or whatever. I suspect they could do 100 copies of every 18XX gamekit in an afternoon, which sits in interesting contrast with the three-year wait over at Deep Thought Games. Cards and chits or 18XX hexagons can be backprinted on stiff white vinyl, for example, which may be better than cardboard, and cut out equally fast. The technologies of printing and copying have converged, and have moved on so far that now the old de facto copyright protections -- commonly a sheet of half-inch wargame counter graphics that had to be cut out by hand -- can now be done quickly, easily & cheaply, and best of all without running the risk of severing a few fingers whilst inexpertly wielding boxcutter & steel rule.

A corollary is that there not much excuse for gamekit producers [eg. Markus Stumptner's Solomon Sea, currently changing hands for $200] not providing pre-cut counters [which of course offer better copyright protection than a printed sheet, that has to be photocopied anyway].

A further point that follows is that we also don't need 'professional' production quite so much as we used to. I am looking at doing the de luxe Rommel in the Desert map

on two A0 stiff vinyl sheets, which comes to about 2.2m by 80cm. I have played on a map of this size before and it was very good.

I have a dream that one day Kickstarter, the Geek Store, designers, artists, publishers and game-owners could come together in large numbers to defray the unit cost of those items you've always dreamed about, but which until now have sat quietly gathering dust in their ziplocs.

Discuss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, of course... Cheshire... (uttered in the best Clarkson voice).
Only the rich people can haz teh best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

Derry will get these nice things in about forty years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
St. Jeremy & his Black Edition live on the nearby Isle of Man with a lot of elderly yokels and 20% tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
. . . and my timer is started . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you buy blank counter sheets from GMT or whomever and then format your counter pdf so that it could be printed on to a large label sheet that conforms to the blank sheet?

I find counters to be the major pain in printing games. You either spend lots of time laminating for thickness and then slowly cutting them or you settle for thin.

Seems that a good laser printed label sheet stuck to actual counters would be great, even if you have to individually cut out the counter stickers.

I'm sure someone's done all this already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wickson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For cardboard counters, I understand the Game Crafter now offers punchouts where you can publish your own chits of different shapes and sizes. Has anyone here tried them for publishing chits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Yes I have tried them. First its a lot of work to get the art to fit their template. Their accuracy is really bad. Expect big shifts and poor front to rear alignment. If you are doing large counters with big margins of error its probably ok.

They are laser cut and come out easily and have a little soot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
John I do make counters on GMT stock. Cutting a sticker on their cut lines and then pushing down the edges is a bit of a pain. Die cut counters have a rounded edge and you need sticker to go around that to get nice adhesion. I often end up cutting whole thing apart and making each counter one at a time. Time consuming but you can get real nice counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the other day, Tom Russell of Hollandspiel mentioned good luck using Blue Panther Publishing for custom projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://bit.ly/2EGYOtR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.