BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Budget Tabletop for Miniature Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I've found some roughly similar posts in the past, but couldn't get the best answers so was hoping to ask here.

I've just got into miniature games that require a 6x3 map, my dining table will not fit this and playing on the floor isn't going to work out.

I'm looking at options to give myself enough play space in my dining room, hopefully without replacing my table. I may get a game table in a couple of years, but for now it's out of the question.

I also do not have much storage space, so a single massive piece of board or something might not be the best option either.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions or any info on what they did to help convert a dining table into something that I can put a 6x3 mat on, without it just being a massive piece of plywood that's lying around in my apartment?

I have thought about two folding tables, but even that.. I find 2 of them is WAY too big width wise if I do go that route. Like 60 inches wide or something, unless anyone has suggestions on good folding tables as well.

If a folding table exists in Canada that is 74+ inches long (could maybe live with 72), and at least 40-42 inches wide, that would be a dream.. but they don't seem to exist.

I know this isn't a concise question, but hopefully I've explained my dilemma well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Just get a piece of plywood to set on to of your current table. You can cut it in half and hinge it for storage so that it won't be any bigger than a folding table would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to build on the comment above, since the final tabletop will be bigger than your table you will have space on the overhang to add some type of clasp/reinforcement so the pieces don't slide apart, also would help cutting it into more pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Meatwood wrote:
My question is, does anyone have any suggestions or any info on what they did to help convert a dining table into something that I can put a 6x3 mat on...

*Raises hand*

Meatwood wrote:
... without it just being a massive piece of plywood that's lying around in my apartment?

*Puts hand back down*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you get anything similar to this https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-foldable-paste-table-h-7... ?, you would probably need 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
For my table, which was about 6" short of 6' x 4', I bought a piece of thin (maybe about 1/4" thick? or a bit thinner?) particle board with laminate on it. 6' long, and a few feet wide, sitting it atop the table creates a nice 6x4 surface for me to put down my wargaming play mat. Since there's only about 6" of overhang, and maybe 2' sitting atop the table, it isn't very precarious - so long as you don't put your whole body weight on it or anything!

The nice thing is the laminate looks OK lying around (and maybe you can find a color that matches your house paint?). I keep mine behind a tall shelf, and it's not noticeable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.