Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rachel Summers Custom Hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When X-Men first came out I drafted up a Rachel Summers card, but then scrapped it because it wasn't working out so great. I forgot that I retooled it and had a new set made up. I thought I'd share this one with y'all.

This set is pretty straight forward and uses some of the new introduced in X-Men. Like the other Phoenix type cards, these can KO, KO themselves, and get stuff back from the HQ. Looks like I do have to go back and add a Piercing Energy to the Rare and add Range class to it, but let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the set a lot. Just an idea and feel free to dismiss it: if you wanted to encourage KOing non-0-cost cards to trigger the uncommon, you could decrease the cost of "Her Mother's Gift" to three and only give the piercing energy bonus if you KO a non-0-cost card.

Again, I like the set. Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:

I like the set a lot. Just an idea and feel free to dismiss it: if you wanted to encourage KOing non-0-cost cards to trigger the uncommon, you could decrease the cost of "Her Mother's Gift" to three and only give the piercing energy bonus if you KO a non-0-cost card

That's a good idea, but I was thinking that there would be incentive enough for someone to KO a non-grey or two on purpose to power up the uncommon. I was also thinking about synergy with this set and the other two Phoenix cards when I designed them. If you do happen to be playing with Phoenix Force Cyclops or Phoenix, you'll be finding some other Heroes for sure in the KO pile.

I was also playing around with a different Rare where you would get +PE for using it to KO a card based upon the KO'd card's cost, but switched it to the current rare because I wanted to have a card that could get KO'd cards back. Especially is you want to buy back the Uncommon after using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
overhaul wrote:

I like the set a lot. Just an idea and feel free to dismiss it: if you wanted to encourage KOing non-0-cost cards to trigger the uncommon, you could decrease the cost of "Her Mother's Gift" to three and only give the piercing energy bonus if you KO a non-0-cost card

That's a good idea, but I was thinking that there would be incentive enough for someone to KO a non-grey or two on purpose to power up the uncommon.

You are probably right. One of the reasons behind my suggestion was that sometimes the uncommon cards may not happen to be available in the HQ until late in the game and if so, there probably wouldn't have been much reason to KO non-zero cards. Again, the set looks great regardless. I like the fact you used piercing energy for her character. I did a version of Rachel Summers, but it was before I could do PE on Legedit. I made her as part of an excalibur team along with heroes Meggan and Nocturne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very minor quibble, but usually you Ko from your hand or discard pile rather than from ‘your discard pile or your hand’.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done on adding a Hero with Piercing Energy to the ranks!
A couple of points/suggestions/ideas:

Girl on Fire
The effect is a little unclear with respect to only usable on the Mastermind bit. So do you use 2+ for anything and then only +1 for the Mastermind? I believe you mean if you get +3, that is only to be used on the Mastermind. So maybe:
Card:
0+ PE
Effect:
You get +2PE usable only against Villains.
X-Gene X: Instead, you get +3PE only usable against the Mastermind.

Once a Hound
This is a good idea.
The only thing is if you want the player to be able to control it better or not. So if they want to take out a low level Enemy and don't want to lose the card yet saving it for a bigger Enemy or don't want to waste excess PE if there 3 colours in the KO pile, the only thing they can do is not play the card. Maybe put a dodge, phasing or teleport on it as well (Teleport is probably most thematic but problematic if you again don't want to use it next turn, so maybe dodge then). You also need to add PE keyword to the card

Nice work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Very minor quibble, but usually you Ko from your hand or discard pile rather than from ‘your discard pile or your hand’.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but I thought to myself "Hey, it still makes sense".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:

Girl on Fire
The effect is a little unclear with respect to only usable on the Mastermind bit. So do you use 2+ for anything and then only +1 for the Mastermind? I believe you mean if you get +3, that is only to be used on the Mastermind. So maybe:
Card:
0+ PE
Effect:

It's the additional +1PE that you can only use to fight the Mastermind. Hopefully it's enough to get them!

Quote:
Once a Hound
This is a good idea.
The only thing is if you want the player to be able to control it better or not. So if they want to take out a low level Enemy and don't want to lose the card yet saving it for a bigger Enemy or don't want to waste excess PE if there 3 colours in the KO pile, the only thing they can do is not play the card. Maybe put a dodge, phasing or teleport on it as well (Teleport is probably most thematic but problematic if you again don't want to use it next turn, so maybe dodge then). You also need to add PE keyword to the card

Nice work

After playing with the card some more, I'm thinking about adjusting the KO threshold to 4. As I was playing I was thinking that Banshee's "Speed of Sound" consistently gets you 2PE with Soaring Energy for Cost. Where as this card, if you want to continually use it can only do 2PE with no added bonus, and then using it once at maybe 3PE. I was thinking that the card was a little stronger than it was with the potential of going up to 5PE, but I was finding that I was usually just using it for 2PE, or KOing at 3.

I'm also thinking that alternatively I could add a trigger to it so it reads:

"Covert, Range: If you would KO this card due to it's effect put it on the top of the Hero Deck instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Droideka_D84 wrote:

Girl on Fire
Card:
0+ PE
Effect:

It's the additional +1PE that you can only use to fight the Mastermind. Hopefully it's enough to get them!

Quote:
Once a Hound
This is a good idea.

Nice work

After playing with the card some more, I'm thinking about adjusting the KO threshold to 4. As I was playing I was thinking that Banshee's "Speed of Sound" consistently gets you 2PE with Soaring Energy for Cost. Where as this card, if you want to continually use it can only do 2PE with no added bonus, and then using it once at maybe 3PE. I was thinking that the card was a little stronger than it was with the potential of going up to 5PE, but I was finding that I was usually just using it for 2PE, or KOing at 3.

I'm also thinking that alternatively I could add a trigger to it so it reads:

"Covert, Range: If you would KO this card due to it's effect put it on the top of the Hero Deck instead."

I think I might upload various versions of cards to see what you guys think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Biz
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards look great! I'll test them out next time I do an X-men themed Scheme.

I don't see a Hero Class on the Hero Rising. Was that intentional? I'm always interested in someone's thought process when they put these together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvbisignano wrote:
Cards look great! I'll test them out next time I do an X-men themed Scheme.

I don't see a Hero Class on the Hero Rising. Was that intentional? I'm always interested in someone's thought process when they put these together.

No, there's a small error or two. That, and the Uncommon is missing Piercing Energy in the card test, and has the effect updated to be a little more useful. I actually have them corrected, and updated, but need to upload them. Thanks for the comment so I have a reminder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the updates:

Updated with more standard phrasing.

Added Soaring Flight for a nice little perk and balance the Cost a bit better.

Added class symbol.

So two different versions. One has a higher threshold before it's KO'd so you get to hold onto it longer. The other, which I prefer, has the added bonus of putting the card back on top of the Hero deck. This is interesting because if you have enough recruit you can purchase it again, but also there's a good chance that the next player can pick it up. Spread the strength!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like these quite a bit. My chief comment is a question that depends on getting someone to pity my lack of web access: the first common and rare have outstanding artwork. Does anyone know who made them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of these cards as well! Nice work!

Love the artwork. I've never been a huge fan of her spiked leather dominatrix costume, but I am a big fan of Rachel as a character and these cards do her justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.