Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Keck
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
Now that my wife and I have finally moved our collection into the living room:

I thought it would be a cool idea for when guests come over to have a booklet/catalog/coffee table book that list our board game collection in Alphabetical order and that gives the name/date/player count/length and a small description of the game, basically a personalized, physical book copy of BGG. Has anyone tried anything like this? I see running into some issues with adding/selling games from the collection depending on how I bind it (I actually do not sell games, I've only sold 1 game out of my collection over the years). Does anyone have any ideas for making something like this as in layout, etc..? I would appreciate any input especially if someone has tried something similar. Here are a couple of mock pages I've done )Yeah, my graphic design isn't great, but It was just a general idea mockup):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like : https://boardgamemenu.com/ ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a "card catalog" composed of I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? cards for each game.

You could pretty easily make a book out of them using a binder full of 9-card trading card pages. This would still allow you to re-order/replace them as needed.

Photo by Henry Allen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
I use a "card catalog" composed of I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? cards for each game.
The OP's mock up is just a lot more visually appealing that those Idkwdywtp cards. It's the difference between going into a high end wine store and going into a 7-11 with sticky floors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chicken Farmer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While not exactly the same, I keep a list of all my games in an spreadsheet.
Each of these lines is a separate column:
Title
BGG Rating (while I would like to find a way to have this automatically updated, it's just what it was rated when I entered the game in the spreadsheet... I'm not too worried about manually updating them if they change).
Own (I also list games my friends have, if I might be interested in them, or others I see, or even ones I looked at then saw I wouldn't like them, with a note in a different column of my thoughts).
Played
# of times played
Publisher
Type (Board, Tile, Card, Party, etc.)
Theme
Mechanic
Players (2 different columns... one for the min and one for the max, so that if I know we are going to have 8 people for a game night, I can quickly sort the list by games for 8 or more)
Time it takes to play
Cost
Where I got it
Notes
Sleeves (I don't sleeve most of my games, but the few I do, I thought it would be helpful to record what kind I used)
My own rating (a simple 1-5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chicken Farmer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think a 3-ring binder would probably be your best bet for keeping it.

You might want to do each game with it's own page... allows you to easily make changes or to fix mistakes.

You can also get smaller binders that hold half sized sheets, and then you could just print the games out 2 to a page, cut them in half, and there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco LaRocco
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted something a little fancier than your typical three ring binder, your local hobby store should have a variety of different scrapbooks that can hold photo or full page plastic pages to put your game info in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sewall
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea! A couple comments:

- Unless you plan on never buying games again, making a bound book is out of the question unless you are skilled enough to create a binding allowing for removable pages (here's a discussion of some different techniques). Even with a binding which allows for more pages it would be quite labor intensive to add new games to your catalogue.

- Nice binders do actually exist! Something like this (although I would look for something cheaper ) would be my personal choice as it's a good compromise between quality and utility. The easiest would be to get a standard size binder and then use sleeves like this with some really nice 4 x 6 index cards. That way you can re-alphabetize your collection whenever necessary to account for a new addition. Personally, I think it would look nicer to have a smaller binder, but that might be more difficult to find sleeves for.

EDIT: Clamp binders might be another slightly nicer choice.

- I don't know how you would feel about adding a link to the catalogue, but it might be cool to include a QR code under each entry so a guest could go directly to the BGG page if they have their phone on them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this shapes up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keck
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas already, I definitely think a binder is the way to go to easily add/subtract games. Even if there were 2 games on a page and it needed to be changed I would only have to reprint one page.

LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Thats pretty awesome!

ironregime wrote:

You could pretty easily make a book out of them using a binder full of 9-card trading card pages. This would still allow you to re-order/replace them as needed.

Photo by Henry Allen.

Who thinks of this stuff?? That is actually a great idea (the game and the binder). You could make them as nice as you wanted with design and quality paper and it would be incredibly easy to re-organize if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with a google doc and couldn't even keep up with that. If you regularly buy or trade games this will become your life. And your collection is nearly double mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieronymus Ludo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb

I Bullet Journal, so added my collection to it:

These are gamers / solo games, from light (bottom) to heavy (top) and multiplayer (left) to solitaire (right).

Added benefit is that if the pages become full, it means I have to "cover up" an existing game, which means selling it, which means my physical collection remains in check too.

There's another double page spread of light / family games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use binding screws
https://www.pinterest.com/binding101/screw-post-binding/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One club I'm in, which owns a modest game library (~75 games), has a binder listing games. Each number of players, from 2 to 9, has a 1 or 2 page spread that lists all the games that support that number of players sorted by playing time. We find that when we are trying to decide what game to play, the first filter is number of players and the second filter is range of acceptable playing times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Thanks for that. Never saw that site before. With a little bit more flexibility, that site would be incredible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the features of Gameshelf. Not as beautiful as your mock ups though. Great job.

https://gameshelf.github.io/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
fortyfive wrote:
I like the features of Gameshelf. Not as beautiful as your mock ups though. Great job.

https://gameshelf.github.io/

Never saw that site! Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.