Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned some time ago that the Great War Commander maps are 11X15 hexes, rather than the 10X15 hexes we are used to from the Combat Commander games.

Ever since then I have wondered how GWC would handle the fact that there are only 144 cards in a German + an Allied deck.

Well, the answer is - - - GWC handles it somewhat arbitrarily.

Check out my image of the 21 hexes on every GWC map which have no corresponding location card - -

The fact that the 1 and 11 rows are somewhat safer from snipers, etc, is rather a small aberation, and I don't think this knowledge will modify my play.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I wonder why it's asymmetrical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a reason, Supermaxv. Allied cards have the even-numbered rows, and German cards have odd-numbered. Therefore it is impossible to make the pattern symmetrical.

Edit: I thought about it some more, and the above is false. Here is one possibility for symmetry in the photo below. It does not seem to have any more 'problems' than the pattern chosen by GWC. I no longer pretend to understand why the clumsy asymmetric layout was picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I know where I'm hiding, now.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind spots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote: "I know where I'm hiding, now."

Yep, Hexes G1 and O1 are the ONLY hexes on the board with only a single "in or adjacent" location card. Most hexes have seven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.