Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: vacation combo (windproof) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michaler Saber
msg tools
Vacation ahead, me and my wife will drive down to Italy to enjoy some beach life, tasty wine and delish olives. Would love to get your recommendations on following combo:

PART I.
Let´s envision warm evening, sitting on terrace, glass of red wine with beautiful view over Adriatic Sea and fresh WIND blowing from it...now the wind might be a real issue which might avoid us from playing card games we usually put on table. Would you recommend games for 2 players with more heavy components which wouldn´t fly away in light wind? The only criteria would be playing time, which shouldn´t be more than 20-30 mins (can be less or slightly more) and size of table, which won´t be extra large, but rather smaller round table.

PART II.
Before we get there (or when going back), we will drive for some hours, so one of us driving and the other one having free hands ... are there any games designed for long drives to engage driver and passenger? (wondering if Dice Tower guys would manage to do 10 TOP on this ).

thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is pretty wind resistant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly C
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a lot of abstracts, like Hive mentioned above, would be good for your wind, time, and size requirements. Tak is my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime the question involves travel, outdoors, small space, and 2 player, the answer is always Hive Pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

oddball Äeronauts and the sequel oddball Aeronauts 2: Double the Trouble

They're 2-player card games which are always held in your hands... so no worrying about them being blown away.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Landdeck
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a set of dominoes would let you play several different games in wind. Not a solution for drive time, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 1 Backgammon or Qwirkle Cubes

Part 2 Black Stories Real Crime Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrifen wrote:
Vacation ahead, me and my wife will drive down to Italy to enjoy some beach life, tasty wine and delish olives. Would love to get your recommendations on following combo:

PART I.
Let´s envision warm evening, sitting on terrace, glass of red wine with beautiful view over Adriatic Sea and fresh WIND blowing from it...now the wind might be a real issue which might avoid us from playing card games we usually put on table. Would you recommend games for 2 players with more heavy components which wouldn´t fly away in light wind? The only criteria would be playing time, which shouldn´t be more than 20-30 mins (can be less or slightly more) and size of table, which won´t be extra large, but rather smaller round table.

PART II.
Before we get there (or when going back), we will drive for some hours, so one of us driving and the other one having free hands ... are there any games designed for long drives to engage driver and passenger? (wondering if Dice Tower guys would manage to do 10 TOP on this ).

thanks a lot

Wouldnt it be illegal to play a game while driving a car? If texting while driving = bad, playing a game requiring thought must be far worse...

there was vacation bingo, where you had to find all the license plates of the other states... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, enjoy Italy. You play games all the time, why not simply take a vacation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaleen Hu
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Hive Pocket (small and wind resistant)

For the drive - 3 Secrets is pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Woo
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to Italy with my SO and Hive and Santorini will be in my bag. I'm looking forward for further ideas.

About driving: Spaß im Auto
One thing we sometimes play in the car is a "chain-game". Somebody selects a category (e.g. movies) and you start with a movie title and the next player has to say a title that begins with the last letter of the previous title. You can play that for hours, no hands needed. Simple but fun and a good "brain jogging" activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
Tatsu has few but weighty pieces and light gameplay perfect for a relaxing sunny day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrifen wrote:

PART I.

PART II.

thanks a lot

+1 Hive
+1 Santorini

Also:
-Twixt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mexican Train
+1 Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callum Baird
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've heard people play stuff like this while in the car on road trips: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.