Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So can this even be done, because I mean, dang salt is good for what it does.

But the rules for harvesting salt is that you have to be in the shadow of the statue... which there is only light/shadow differences in the sunstalker quarry fight, right?

Or.... is there some rule i'm missing that can apply light/dark to any other showdown?

Otherwise, this terrain tile/card is only useful when fighting sunstalker.

Edit: I just realized i should have put this in the sunstalker forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcusnc
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading somewhere that outside of the Sunstalker fight, all other fights are always in the shadow.

Edit: I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergiy Demchenko
msg tools
There is an item that casts a shadow, this is the only thing, that specifically brings the shadow mechanic outside the Sunstalker fight.
I don't recall anything that says "everything is in shadow during other showdowns"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Majewski
msg tools
It doesn't say anything about shadow either, it actually says darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that outside of the Sunstalker fight, all other fights are always in the shadow.

I think Poots weighed in on this a while back, and it's actually the opposite -- all other fights are always in the light. The Sunstalker puts out so much light, however, that you get something not normally present on the showdown board: shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonyx wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I think Poots weighed in on this a while back, and it's actually the opposite -- all other fights are always in the light. The Sunstalker puts out so much light, however, that you get something not normally present on the showdown board: shadows.

Right. A Sunspot Lantern will also do the trick, but other than that you only get enough darkness for salt mining, ink swords, etc. during an actual Sunstalker fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
riffraff wrote:
Archonyx wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

Right. A Sunspot Lantern will also do the trick, but other than that you only get enough darkness for salt mining, ink swords, etc. during an actual Sunstalker fight.

This. Sunspot is good for more shadows to use to attack. Mine salt when fighting sunstalkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yeah, makes me sad about ink sword. Cuz... dayam that is THE weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit limited, but sunspot lantern is there to help with the ink sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonyx wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I think you're both reading it wrong.

He says that the light and darkness rules for the sunstalker fight should be added to every showdown (ie, the light comes from a specific direction and things cast shadows in the opposite direction).

Adam was responding to an email, so it isn't written out in rules language, You need to make a ruling about which direction the light should come from, and whether non-Sunstalker monsters cast shadows (personally, I prefer the light direction to be random, and that monsters do cast shadows, but I honestly don't think it is a balance issue in any case).

This only comes up for a few objects tied to the Sunstalker (Salt among them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
SOUTH PERTH
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
Archonyx wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I think you're both reading it wrong.

He says that the light and darkness rules for the sunstalker fight should be added to every showdown (ie, the light comes from a specific direction and things cast shadows in the opposite direction).

Adam was responding to an email, so it isn't written out in rules language, You need to make a ruling about which direction the light should come from, and whether non-Sunstalker monsters cast shadows (personally, I prefer the light direction to be random, and that monsters do cast shadows, but I honestly don't think it is a balance issue in any case).

This only comes up for a few objects tied to the Sunstalker (Salt among them).

He said to use the Light & Shadow card.

All Light & Shadow says is that if you are in a shadow, you are in darkness, otherwise you are in the light.

Sun Dial is the card that makes survivors and obstacles cast shadows.

So you need a sunspot lantern (which casts a shadow) and the right positioning to allow someone else to harvest salt, use the ink sword or lose cumbersome on the ink blood bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isolater wrote:

All Light & Shadow says is that if you are in a shadow, you are in darkness, otherwise you are in the light.

Exactly this. Sadly, this means that the Sunspot Lantern is so far the only way to get shadows outside of the Sunstalker fight. Which is a very limited and awkward way. The Lantern takes up a valuable gear grid slot and only casts a shadow into a single spot. Not sure if it is really worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Slayer wrote:
Isolater wrote:

Exactly this. Sadly, this means that the Sunspot Lantern is so far the only way to get shadows outside of the Sunstalker fight. Which is a very limited and awkward way. The Lantern takes up a valuable gear grid slot and only casts a shadow into a single spot. Not sure if it is really worth it.

Yeah, especially since salt statue is a random terrain. It's a good reason to put sunstalker as a quarry in campaigns though :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.