Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed the price creep with CSI over the last year or so and for a while it seemed to be only a game here and there was more expensive then MM or Cardhaus, but then after applying my 5% off it was a better price. Then this concept expanded to affect many games. Then it became the prices AFTER my 5% off were not always better than MM or Cardhaus's everybody pricing. NOW, even AFTER my 5% off with CSI, the prices are rarely better than MM or Cardhaus. I know, it depends on what games we are talking about because I'm sure we can find exceptions to my observation, but on the whole, it seems true. Also, yes, I'm talking about $1-2 difference normally, but still, that adds up and again I'm factoring in getting 5% off their everybody prices. So basically, their 5% off used to be a great deal for me, then it became something needed for them to be competitive with MM or Cardhaus's everybody pricing, and now it doesn't even keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon Berry
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, I just did a quick check of several games from my wishlist. CSI and MM were always within 0.99 cents of each other (not including CSI's loyalty discount), and which was cheaper varied from item to item. Cardhaus was consistently cheaper, usually by $2, but they also have the increased free shipping threshold of $125, and no formal customer hold system.

So...

You and I have way different definitions of "not competitive."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Stuff Inflated Prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I live in St. Louis mo, Min market is 7% more because that is the sales tax charged... So for CSI, I'm at a 4% loyalty+7% sales tax free better....

BUT I'll still buy Min Market for the pick up in store free option as I don't have to get $100 for free shipping...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
robininni wrote:
Also, yes, I'm talking about $1-2 difference normally,

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The party has gone on way longer than expected. Just be happy ya'll got to hit off the tap while it was cold and carbonated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising. How long could these guys continue to undercut each other for sales.

Hopefully they believe they've built up a reputation that people would one to pay them the extra dollar or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

Multiply it by 1000. Still whistling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shipping cost from everyone beside CSI always kills deals for me because I have the luxury of picking up locally from CSI. It’s hard for me justify buying enough games to hit the free shipping threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iceman23 wrote:
Out of curiosity, I just did a quick check of several games from my wishlist. CSI and MM were always within 0.99 cents of each other (not including CSI's loyalty discount), and which was cheaper varied from item to item. Cardhaus was consistently cheaper, usually by $2, but they also have the increased free shipping threshold of $125, and no formal customer hold system.

So...

Here's a few examples:

Rising 5 CSI: $31.99 MM: $29.29 Cardhaus: $28.99
Cavern of Soloth CSI: $28.99 Cardhaus: $25.99
Yokohama CSI: $42.99 MM: $40.19 Cardhaus: $39.99
Orleans CSI: $42.99 MM: $40.19 Cardhaus: $38.99
Clank! The Mummy's Curse CSI: $22.99 MM: $17.50 Cardhaus: $17.29

If you don't already have the purchasing history with CSI to get 5% off with them, they are totally not competitive with MM and Cardhaus pricing. They have basically undone their 'reward' for past loyalty since price is king with OLGS and you don't have to have any loyalty to MM or Cardhaus to do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

If I'm casually dropping $30,000 to $70,000 on board games, then yeah probably...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

If I'm casually dropping $30,000 to $70,000 on board games, then yeah probably...

Not casually, but shrewdly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, Cardhaus doesn't have the same free shipping threshold the other 2 do, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. In other words, I think that for Cardhaus to be an equivalent value, they would actually have to be priced a bit cheaper than the other 2 to make up for the need to spend $25 more for free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

Uh, if you are penny pinching your way to purchasing 30 to 70 thousand dollars worth of board games, then you are adulting wrong.

If your board game budget isn't casual spending, then you need to rethink your priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew DiLoreto
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
robininni wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

Uh, if you are penny pinching your way to purchasing 30 to 70 thousand dollars worth of board games, then you are adulting wrong.

If your board game budget isn't casual spending, then you need to rethink your priorities.

That, or they can spend how they want without your judgement maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So just buy somewhere else. If people continue to buy from them at higher prices, it seems like the smart move by them to raise prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do you think Miniature Market or Cardhaus will be the next to follow Funagain and go out of the business? These places have to turn a profit. CoolStuff is investing in a lot of gaming initiatives. The company appears to be well run.

I'm at 5% with CSI but occasionally look to see the difference in price. I've ordered from all three and my experience with CSI is consistently better. I've never have a damaged game - not so with MM. My shipping can be counted on to go out next day - not so with Cardhaus. Cardhaus may have improved, but I was never a fan of their selection or customer service.

It isn't just price. But when every online store closes down because they keep trying to undercut the next guy...by a dollar or two....I guess well have to see how it ends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MM just moved to a larger building. They are not going anywherez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
I've noticed the price creep with CSI over the last year or so and for a while it seemed to be only a game here and there was more expensive then MM or Cardhaus, but then after applying my 5% off it was a better price. Then this concept expanded to affect many games. Then it became the prices AFTER my 5% off were not always better than MM or Cardhaus's everybody pricing. NOW, even AFTER my 5% off with CSI, the prices are rarely better than MM or Cardhaus. I know, it depends on what games we are talking about because I'm sure we can find exceptions to my observation, but on the whole, it seems true. Also, yes, I'm talking about $1-2 difference normally, but still, that adds up and again I'm factoring in getting 5% off their everybody prices. So basically, their 5% off used to be a great deal for me, then it became something needed for them to be competitive with MM or Cardhaus's everybody pricing, and now it doesn't even keep up.

I'm not seeing CSI raising their prices, I'm seeing two other companies trying to undercut CSI to try to win some business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
robininni wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

Says the guy who can't manage money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

As a cheapskate, I'm totally cool with somebody trying to save a buck or two, even if they buy only one game. I'm just not sure it merits a "no longer competitive" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceman23 wrote:

So...

Cardhaus now has a loyalty program also. Don't know much about it, but it is there.

Personally I prefer Cardhaus, even before the loyalty program. I've had consistently good experiences with all three main OLGSs, and all three have pretty much the same selection. Cardhaus has great customer service, as do CSI and MM. But Cardhaus is a few dollars cheaper on most things, and they cut another 5% off for preorders, so over time it saves money. Basically, if I buy 9-10 games from them I have saved enough over CSI and MM to afford another game -- for me that is usually one extra game per year I can afford.

I know folks don't like their higher shipping threshold, but that isn't a big deal for me -- that extra $25 goes toward another game I ultimately buy so it's not really an additional charge. Basically it just leads to my buying games at a slightly slower pace, which isn't a bad thing in my book. YMMV (esp if you're lucky enough to live near one of them) but Cardhaus works best for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

As a cheapskate, I'm totally cool with somebody trying to save a buck or two, even if they buy only one game. I'm just not sure it merits a "no longer competitive" thread.

Point well made, though to be fair he did say no longer "price competitive." Not sure that needed a whole thread either, but c'est la vie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captds9e wrote:
MM just moved to a larger building. They are not going anywherez

I have seen businesses spend tens of millions of dollars on new digs, only to go six feet under in less than eighteen months.

New digs is an indication of new digs. Nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
chearns wrote:
robininni wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:
robininni wrote:
EMBison wrote:
robininni wrote:

whistle

If you pinch your pennies you have more money to spend on everything. It's a trait often found in people who know how to budget their money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.