Subject: * Requires copy of Dinosaur Island! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three SGs for Duelosaur that are throwaways unless you own Dinosaur Island. Any chance there will be a small upgrade kit made available so I won’t have a game that includes three useless cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
3 entire useless cards!??!

The humanity!

That is how I feel with every game that has cooperative only components or solo only components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can purchase a trash can at the dollar store.
(or sell the useless cards on ebay to someone who has the original game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the grand scheme of things 3 cards out of maybe 40 is not a big deal but those are 3 SGs out of only a handful that are currently meaniless to backers of Duelosaur. I know long time fans and owners of Dinosaur Island will be unaffected by this but perhaps you could still try to see things from the perspective of someone trying to support Duelosaur and it’s designer. I’m not asking for freebies but would of course pay for such an upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 3cards can be played with proxies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes using the cards need some kind of marker. If you don’t have base game you can use some other tokens eg bits of card or coins or whatever. Does seem strange they won’t include the markers in Duel though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and it says as much in the FAQ which seems not to get read as much as you’d expect😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonathan9461 wrote:
Yes and it says as much in the FAQ which seems not to get read as much as you’d expect😉

Here is directly from the kickstarter FAQ on this:

There are Duelosaur Stretch Goals that say "requires a copy of the base game", whats the deal?
These are stretch goals that use components from the base game (Dino Meeples, researchers, etc) and are fun little add-ons that bring in some cool components we can't afford to include in a lower-cost 2 player game.

That said, if you *dont* have the base game, you can use other parts (Cubes, etc) to note the card has been used. So it's not 100% required to have the base game, but is designed to use those base game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K.
United States
Imperial
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
corkysru wrote:
3 entire useless cards!??!

The humanity!

Even after sleeping on it, this still makes me chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus X
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
dragon7507 wrote:
Jonathan9461 wrote:

Here is directly from the kickstarter FAQ on this:

There are Duelosaur Stretch Goals that say "requires a copy of the base game", whats the deal?
These are stretch goals that use components from the base game (Dino Meeples, researchers, etc) and are fun little add-ons that bring in some cool components we can't afford to include in a lower-cost 2 player game.

That said, if you *dont* have the base game, you can use other parts (Cubes, etc) to note the card has been used. So it's not 100% required to have the base game, but is designed to use those base game components.

I can understand the frustration of playing a game that seems to require a different games components to fully enjoy it. And yeah, I'd be hesitant to use generic cubes or what have you to play those parts.

But honestly, even if I can't afford the basegame/expansion/whichever to get those components, I really appreciate that the designers were able to incorporate something like that in mind. I like games that work across other games. Even though I'm not interested in it, I think the fact that Century is a trilogy that will use all 3 games to make a bigger game is super cool. Same with the North Sea series. And although I might never play it due to its complexity, I am absolutely enamored with the Bios Campaign idea that you can play a single player campaign across (currently?) 4 games that start you as a single celled organism, to a more complex animal to a developing mind of a sentient humanoid to a functioning tribe (remind anyone of what the PC game SPORE attempted to do??)

I think it's something that will likely get me to purchase more games by the same developer/publisher even if I can't always or might not be interested.

As long as it isn't forced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly I will use generic cubes if necessary but would of course prefer to use official game components instead. When other gamers observe Duelosaur being played it would be in everyone’s best interest that it make the best impression possible. My guess is fewer than a dozen meeples would do the job as an upgrade kit so the cost would be minimal? I also enjoy cross promotional materials and my intention is not to discourage that. I am more than willing to further invest to take complete advantage of the three cards in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pandasaurus for the 1,840,000 SG! You didn’t HAVE TO do it and that makes doing the RIGHT thing that much more significant. I felt that DI overshadowed Duelosaur during the campaign and I guess that’s to be expected to some extent. Some DI fans in their fervor seem to take it personal when someone prefers Duelosaur but of course there’s nothing to be done for that.
Congrats on a very successful campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.