Subject: Should there be 4 stun cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a runthrough of the game and all 4 heroes got stunned at one point but only 3 stun cards came with my copy of the game so I couldn't cover up one of the heroes. Am I missing a stun card or is it a rule that you can only ever have a max of 3 heroes stunned at one time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
Tried a runthrough of the game and all 4 heroes got stunned at one point but only 3 stun cards came with my copy of the game so I couldn't cover up one of the heroes. Am I missing a stun card or is it a rule that you can only ever have a max of 3 heroes stunned at one time?

You're right: a maximum of three heroes can be stunned at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that's because when the last hero is stunned, the heroes immediately lose.

This is completely wrong. I've no idea where I got this. I even checked the Gloomhaven rule book since I was reading both around the same time, but this rule isn't there either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's because when the last hero is stunned, the heroes immediately lose.

Um. I don't think so. The new stun still allows a Rush shot so that stunned heroes can free other stunned heroes.

What makes you think that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
The new stun still allows a Rush shot so that stunned heroes can free other stunned heroes.

Agreed. That's how I was able to get my heroes back in the game when they were all stunned. I didn't have a problem with that. My problem was that I didn't have a 4th stunned card to place on my 4th stunned hero.

You are mentioning "the new stun". It sounds like in previous iterations of this game a stunned character had no actions and so I can see how that would impact things if every hero was stunned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:

You are mentioning "the new stun". It sounds like in previous iterations of this game a stunned character had no actions and so I can see how that would impact things if every hero was stunned.

Exactly. Except it wore off after a round and could not be "chained" from back to back rounds.

The new Stun is much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Clevider wrote:

Um. I don't think so. The new stun still allows a Rush shot so that stunned heroes can free other stunned heroes.

What makes you think that?

<sigh> I really need to stop offering opinions on rules when I don't have the book handy. Sorry.

Anyway, here's the relevant portion of the manual which expands on Aron's comment:

Page 13 wrote:
If only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s) during the Battle Phase..., the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
<sigh> I really need to stop offering opinions on rules when I don't have the book handy. Sorry.

Anyway, here's the relevant portion of the manual which expands on Aron's comment:

Page 13 wrote:
If only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s) during the Battle Phase..., the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored.

That has nothing to do with there only being 3 stun modifiers in the box though. The scenario you describe is when there's only one hero left and het gets stunned. Then yes, without that rule they would automatically lose, but OP was asking why there are only 3 stuns in the box not what happened if there is only 1 hero left and gets stunned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nenananas wrote:
Clevider wrote:

Page 13 wrote:

That has nothing to do with there only being 3 stun modifiers in the box though.

Sure it does. If 3 heroes are stunned, then "only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s) during the Battle Phase". If this single hero gets stunned, then "the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored." Since the stun effect on the 4th hero is ignored, there is no need for the 4th stun card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:
Sure it does. If 3 heroes are stunned, then "only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s) during the Battle Phase". If this single hero gets stunned, then "the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored." Since the stun effect on the 4 hero is ignored, there is no need for the 4th stun card.

Wait, now I'm confused. Does that also mean that if there are 2 heroes left both can't be stunned? I thought the rules were talking about if the other heroes aren't in play like if they are defeated or devoured and there is only one left on the board THEN it can't be stunned, since there is no hero left to free it and that would be an auto lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nenananas wrote:
DrCrow wrote:
Sure it does. If 3 heroes are stunned, then "only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s) during the Battle Phase". If this single hero gets stunned, then "the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored." Since the stun effect on the 4 hero is ignored, there is no need for the 4th stun card.

Wait, now I'm confused. Does that also mean that if there are 2 heroes left both can't be stunned? I thought the rules were talking about if the other heroes aren't in play like if they are defeated or devoured and there is only one left on the board THEN it can't be stunned, since there is no hero left to free it and that would be an auto lose.

If there are only two heroes left, then only one of them can be stunned. The rule I quoted from the book is in effect when three heroes, for whatever reason(s), can't do their regular actions. Being dead, etc. prevent them from diong those, yes, but so does being stunned.

There is no auto-lose for being stunned, I was completely wrong about that. I'll go cross it out now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nenananas wrote:
DrCrow wrote:

No, because there are TWO heroes left in your example, not one. "If only a single hero is able to perform their normal action(s)...the effects of the stun modifier...on that hero are ignored." It doesn't matter how many heroes there are in the game, but if only one of them can perform their normal actions then that one cannot be affected with Stun. So if there are four heroes in the game and one hero is Devoured, another Stunned, and one is dead, this would leave the fourth hero as the only one able to perform their normal action during the Battle Phase, so this one hero could not be Stunned. If that hero then hits the Stunned hero, unstunning them, then either hero could be Stunned, but only one of them until there is at least one more hero on the board that can perform their normal actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.