Andrew Tinnin
United States
Pine Island
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Spoliers
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become the family rule lawyer and I failed.

I grew up in a cardboard family and never had to deal with this aspect of gaming to heavily. My dad read the rules and taught us how to play. One of the most used statements in my home growing up was “it will make more sense once we start to play.”

I have since taken on that role- curling up with a instruction book and a cup of coffee on the couch just like my dad use to do until I feel confident that I am ready to teach the family whatever game I’m reading. When I see the look of confusion on their faces.... “it will make more sense once we start to play” I tell them.

I did this many years ago with The Lotr LCG and my wife and I loved the game. We played for a while even picked up a couple expansions and a set of cycle packs. Then for what ever reason the game when dormant. The fellowship gathered dust for about 5 years.....

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”

Mid winter the game found its way back to the table. We play almost daily. We discovered the saga expansions and now we are totally hooked. I have found of the last couple months some minor rules we were playing incorrectly but nothing glaring. If I ever came across something that incorrectly gave us to large of an advantage we replayed the quest. No harm no foul.

Then it happened. I found a glaring rule we’ve been playing wrong from the very beginning. I was at work reading through the some forums and stumbled upon a discussion about attachments.

I quickly loaded up the FFG rules reference and found this to my horror:

Here’s how we’ve been playing:

A character can have 2 restricted attachments (this part is correct)
A character can only have a total of 3 attachments

I texted my wife immediately. “Hunny, I was reading some lord of the rings rules but I’m scared to tell you what I found.”

“Oh god what now?”

“It’s actually in our favor this time.... I hope you are sitting down... there is no limit to the number of total attachments a character can have”

“What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?”

“One copy of a unique in play, 2 restricted but no limit on the total”

Several tense minutes went by with no response. How mad can she possibly be. It’s just a game right? A game we’ve played wrong everyday for the last two months.... crap I’m in trouble...

“Hunny... everything ok?”

My wife had the most geeky and amazing reply.

“Sorry I got the cards out and I’m going through my deck, it’s like Christmas morning here”

I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten.

I could feel her excitement through the pohone. We chatted about it and while impressed we made it as far as we did in the saga with a incredible handicap we ultimately decided we should start the campaign over. A lot of effort went into our progress so before we start a new campaign log I wanted to post the progress we made.

Thanks for allowing me to get my story out. I needed some closure on that run to regain the fortitude I need to begin fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hehe. Awesome. Enjoy the new found freedom! And how fun to play LotR with your wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Moyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read your post and saw the “three total attachments!” And thought am I playing it wrong?!! Then I read further... I don’t know what I would do if that were the case. I have Gandalf as a starting hero and when he is fully kitted he has like 7-8 attachments, ready for action!

The sagas expansions are what gave new drive to play this game again. They are awesome! I think I’m on the 4th box, Sam and Frodo Just crossed the dead marshes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great read. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... I think I have been playing that wrong as well....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.