Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Rivalry is the second expansion for Roll for the Galaxy.

But, actually, Rivalry is three expansions in one. For this first teaser, I'm going to show a snippet of the Deal Game, one of Rivalry's two optional challenges. This is just a teaser, so I'm not going to preview or explain everything.

In the Deal Game, there is a new Deal phase to which dice with $ faces can be assigned to, along with any die to choose that phase, plus a reassigned die, and possibly another reassigned die due to the new power that everyone has on their phase slip.

(This changes $ faces from how they are used in Ambition to become two phase die faces.)

Dealers can swap assets they don't want for assets they do want. And, by assets, I mean just about anything.

Not using all your credit track? Why not trade in the top part of it to get a useful die? Or, if you're running a large economy and need a credit track that goes to 11 (or even 16), why not trade away a couple of white dice to get a larger track?

Have a bunch of extra tiles clogging up your construction zones from previous Explores? Why not trade them in for new dice? Or, a chance to draw from the bag until you find a 6 cost development? Or a pair of VP chips? Or a talent counter? Or some credits? Or, another Leader die? Or, a chance to draw a world of a desired color from the bag? Or, to turn some Citizenry dice directly into Developers or Settlers? Or...

Here's a sneak peak of the final deal mat and some prototype phase strips and credit slips:

Not shown are the 7 deal dice rolled every turn -- before players assign their workers -- to determine what asset types can be potentially gained or traded in that round. (We are waiting on those production samples to arrive.)

But, wait, there's more! After you swap some assets, your deal will start to mature over several rounds. If you (or someone else) calls Deal again before your deal expires, then send another dealer in to *reverse* your trade, trading back for what you originally spent and making some credits and talent counters along the way.

Of course, while your deal is maturing, some other player might swoop in and reverse it before you wanted to, taking their cut and converting your attempted temporary loan into a permanent exchange. These things happen...

So, the Deal Game adds this whole new level of mind-melting interstellar high finance and player interaction to Roll. Happy Trades!

No official release date has been announced by RGG for Rivalry. Unofficially, we've been aiming for a late Q2 release. However, since its production depends on these new larger, custom dice which haven't arrived yet (we were supposed to see samples by end of March), there's some chance Rivalry might slip into Q3.

That's it for now. In another month or so, I will tease the second optional challenge in Rivalry. As I said, Rivalry is really three expansions in one. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I had been thinking "eh, Roll for the Galaxy is fun, and Ambition added a bit to the game, but didn't change it all that much. I probably don't really need a second expansion".

But this sounds awesome! Not only are there new really interesting decisions to make, and new variability from game to game because of the trade dice; it sounds like you've found a way to add more interactivity to the game, while still maintaining the virtually-simultaneous play that makes the game flow so nicely. I can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like mayhem, I'm intrigued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the turn order matter for the deal phase? One of the things I love about Roll for the Galaxy is that you generally don't have to wait for other people to take your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like it adds some complexity which might be rough for me. I have a hard time explaining RFTG as it is. No matter how I explain it, most people just don't get the "roll your dice, line up the symbols and take any die regardless of the symbol and lock it into an action at the top to make sure it happens. I usually play the first game without the shields just so people can see me doing it. Then after a couple of rounds of that, I will add in the "dictate" action. That first game of RFTG is always rough. Don't even get me started on explaining the shipping goods for credits or VP.

All in All, I think Roll for the Galaxy is a Medium+ weight game and the only real hurdle is the first game. I have enjoyed it immensely and I do not feel the creating a galactic empire is abstracted away.

Lol...I wouldn't mind if they added a more "War like" element to it.

But I *do* like the idea of the deals and there is no reason I can't play this with people who have more experience and games under their belt.

This should be a welcome addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much $$ will this new Deal cost? (MSRP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion to my favorite game??

Shut up and take my money!!!

Now if only there was an iOS app so I could play it solo against AI...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do we know if this expansion requires Ambition? (Like some of the expansions in Race)

Actually I re-read the OP - it said "another leader die" so the expansion presumably will have to have leader dice. So I would guess probably not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caio Corrêa
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
Wrex
badge
Shepard
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:

According to this post, it is coming "soon"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Rivalry is compatible with but doesn't require Ambition.

Yes, player order matters in the deal phase. However, the Deal phase is the last phase. So, if you don't have any dealers, you can mostly just ignore this phase, roll your dice and start doing assigning them for next round. So, there doesn't tend to be a lot of slow-down in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorry, another question. The OP mentions
Quote:
trading back for what you originally spent

Let's say I made a deal changing a Secluded World to a Talent Counter. Does this mean that a subsequent deal action will give me Secluded World back and I'll lose a Talent Counter? This seems interesting, particularly if

Oh, and another one.
Quote:
taking their cut and converting your attempted temporary loan into a permanent exchange

So this means that I now can't exchange my Talent Counter back for Secluded World? (Is an opponent taking this action supposed to hurt me, or is it just for their benefit?)

I suppose the answer to these is "that's more spoilers than I'm giving you today" but I thought I'd ask anyway.

This is very exciting news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's hoping this can one day be implemented digitally! At least base game Roll has been greenlit, and IIRC, it's in progress.

Otherwise, I'll see if I can get this played one day when I'm at a con. Ambitions proved difficult, if nothing else other than exps. tend to be harder to get in by nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalRufflez wrote:
Bohde8781 wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that interview at GenCon... "soon" must mean different things to different people. 8 months later, and no further news from Temple Gates on that app...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I've altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Yes, player order matters in the deal phase....So, there doesn't tend to be a lot of slow-down in practice.

As an aside, I tried really hard to make player order not matter in the Deal phase, but the biggest problem ended up being the issue that the game could only come with a finite number of components...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
MetalRufflez wrote:
Bohde8781 wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that interview at GenCon... "soon" must mean different things to different people. 8 months later, and no further news from Temple Gates on that app...

AFAIK, we're in for a longer haul. If those on this thread can help by finding out how long it took Race to get released from the time it got announced, to when it got submitted to the mobile app stores (including Steam).

However long that took... double it? Some factors that lead me to suspect this will take longer include:
--new AI required
For Race, Keldon's (neural network) has been out for just under a decade. Any improvements deemed to be useful were already in. Here, I don't know how much of a head start Keldon got, but regardless, it's going to be from scratch. The Race AI took weeks to train

--Some other works to go off of
I'm assuming the interfaces from Keldon's AI, as well as other places (e.g. BGA, Genie Server) helped with design of the app. Here Roll is a newer concept with not as much to draw off of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Yes, player order matters in the deal phase....So, there doesn't tend to be a lot of slow-down in practice.

As an aside, I tried really hard to make player order not matter in the Deal phase, but the biggest problem ended up being the issue that the game could only come with a finite number of components...

You're obviously not trying hard enough. I mean, if you aren't willing to break the laws of physics for us, are you really doing your best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

It is probably better that this seqential part is in the last Phase than for example Orb Explore from Alien Artifacts that:
- was sequential
- all players had to move
- could give bonuses that were immediately usable , so it could influence current round
so Explore usually was slowing the whole round.
One good thing was that there was persistent tracking of order in this pahse ,so quite arbitrary order from sarting wordls was only a seed.
Xeno invasion on the other hand integrated smoothly as an additional step on the end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great I'm ready to expand my game. Will this be in the expansions section of the site under RftG so that I can add it to my list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
how can i get notification so i can get this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom/Wei-Hwa,

Can both of the optional challenges be played together, or are the challenges mutually exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be played together. Tom confirmed this in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
They can be played together. Tom confirmed this in another thread.

Cool, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.