Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2004 Formula De Season (Race 10)
North American Cup Series (Race 3)
Track - Long Beach, California, 1 lap
Drivers - Chad, Kalin, Emily, Brad, Jim, Mike and Kyle

Today at lunch we raced Long Beach, and I thought the play was very interesting and worthy of a session report. There may be some bias as I ended the victor, but there were several fascinating sequences.

Start of Race: From the pole position to the first turn 51 spaces must be trasversed. Clearly there would be a lot of opportunity for the positions to change and for stragglers to emerge before we enter the first turn. After 5 rounds we had all entered 5th gear and nobody had yet reached the turn; round 6 would surely create some separation.

Toyota Turn: Not! The Toyota Turn is the first turn of the track, and requires 3 "stops" before you can leave it. From 5th gear Brad, Kalin and Kyle all burned some fuel to drop to 3rd and ease into the turn. I braked gradually to 4th and passed all 3 cars on the inside to take a quick lead from my 6th spot pole position. Then to everyone's surprise Emily, Mike and Chad all managed the corner as well. 7 cars were totally bunched at the start of this 3 "stop" turn. Hence rounds 6-8 consisted of us zig-zagging through the Toyota turn, all on top of each other, and the black collision die getting the toughest workout I've ever seen. Fortune was with most of us, as only Kyle emerged with a single point of body damage. My white and green car exited the turn by one space and maintained a slight lead while scratching off a single tire point.

Budweiser Turn: This next turn was only 5 spaces away from the Toyota Turn, but again opportunity existed for cars to miss the turn or get blocked out. There are only 7 safe spots within the turn so surely someone would be out of luck. Not! Through some quirk of the dice the leaders shot deep into or through the Bud Turn and everyone followed tight. Unbelievably all 7 cars were still in close quarters after round 9. Again, the black die caused no damage, but my white and green car maintained 2nd place and I marked another tire point as I exited the turn one space prematurely. Kyle's dented car had regained the lead.

Texaco Bend: This next turn is only 8 spaces away so the leaders shifted up to 4th gear with confidence. Kyle, who was previously 2 spaces out of the Bud Turn, rolled a 7 and barely made the Texaco Bend. As we all know, the first space of a turn is prime real estate and can create havoc for all who follow. I was the first potential victim as a 7 on the green die would keep me out of the turn. I dropped an 11 and drove deep into the Bend. 2 of the next 3 drivers rolled poorly but with luck managed to drop in behind Kyle and slipstream into the turn. After round 10, 5 of 7 cars were still on pace. Mike and Brad had missed the Texaco Bend and fell behind.

Firestone Turn: 26 track spaces from the Texaco bend to the Firestone Turn, so it would take at least 2 rounds. The leaders geared up to 5th in round 11 and I rolled an 18 to set myself up for a solid shot at the Firestone next round. In Round 12 I rolled an 11 in 4th gear and shot 1 space out of the turn and marked off my final tire point. Racing at the front continued to be tight as Kyle, Kalin and Emily all made the turn also in round 12. Chad missed and fell behind. But hold on! Emily came up behind again-leader Kyle tight and fast; Kyle's black die roll showed a 1, and his spoiler exploded into the wall. Goodnight Kyle!It now seemed certain that the top 3 spots would go to me, Emily and Kalin, but the race for 1st was still on!!

Havoline Turn: Hovoline is only 5 spaces from Firestone and requires 3 "stops." In round 13 I rolled an 8 in 3rd gear and shot deeper into the turn than I had hoped. Kalin and Emily settled in behind. I only had 13 more spaces in the turn to make 2 more stops so my opportunity to accelerate was diminished. The thought of dropping to 2nd gear and then back to 3rd was depressing and iI realized my situation required a fortuitous roll in 3rd gear so I could accelerate to 4th. In round 14 I maintained 3rd gear and somehow managed a 5(!) out of the die and maintained room to accelerate. Kalin and Emily both rolled 7's and in avoiding me lost the outside path in Havoline as they progressed deeper into the turn. In round 15 both opponents had to maintain 3rd gear for their final stop in the turn, but had leftover tire points to be able to exit the turn early. I picked up the green die realizing a 12 would spin me out and risk being passed down the stretch by Chad and perhaps Mike or Brad. Fortune smiled one last time with a 9 and I survived the turn, and had a speed advantage over the 2 leaders!

Finish Line: With 16 spaces to go, Kalin and Emily blasted out of Havoline in 4th gear; not enough power to finish the race. I opened up 5th gear, blasted past the two pretenders, and scored my second victory of the season!

Results: Jim (1st), Emily (2nd), Kalin (3rd), Chad (4th), Mike (5th), Brad (6th), Kyle (DNF)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
could be wrong here but under Formula D rules if i remember rightly you cannot use slip stream to get into a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Stig
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FD Advanced Rules: "If a car is carried into a corner by slipstreaming, he loses a brake WP (without the number of spaces being reduced)."

Don't quite understand why they'd lose a WP for slipstreaming into a corner, I guess it's to simulate late braking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.