21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My next eurogame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
t vl
msg tools
Hi everyone

After playing all kinds of games the last couple of years I've decided to go back to the roots. It's time for a new eurogame! But after playing Catan and Agricola for hours, days, years, ... I feel like I need something fresh. Plenty of good games to choose from of course, but which one to get? I've managed to narrow it down to the selection below, but I'd appreciate you help for the final decision.

I might add that some player interaction, theme and eye candy (artwork) are pluses, but certainly not a must. It's eurogames we're talking about, so the key thing are the mechanics. Multiple ways to score points or influence the outcome (Scythe-style, although this isn't a euro-game strictly speaking) are also a plus.

So, in short, which of these should I get, and why?

Poll: My next euro-game
Which of these games would you recommend the most? And why?
The Castles of Burgundy
Viticulture
Concordia
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Keyflower
Five Tribes
      96 answers
Poll created by usaretamA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I voted for Concordia. While it's not my favorite Euro on the list it is the one I feel best fits the criteria given. The game looks good set up and often leads to the, "Watcha playing," questions that give all of us board games a good dose of the feels. There's ton's of strategy to mine and even more when you add the expansion + boards. It also has a very high degree of player interaction for a Euro. Top 10 board game and one that almost always ends up with someone else at the table picking it up after we play it.

That said Burgundy is $25 bucks on Amazon. Nobody could really fault you for adding that to your cart now could they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those, Keyflower is definitely the one that I'd choose to play.

Theme-wise, it's the most interesting to me (probably because you are building a little town/village in front of you? I like ending a game with something I've built).

I also find the mechanics rewarding. Having the best village with the best village isn't as straightforward as 'I have these bonuses and that helps advance my cause' but 'lots of people want to visit my village and I get to keep any workers they use there'.

Finally, how you gain victory points is very dynamic. There are some standard ways (gold, upgraded buildings) but a lot of it is about what winter tiles you buy. If you know that there's going to be a winter tile that will give you lots of points for every wood on that tile, then that can affect the way you play the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy is my favorite of those games... but if you're looking to play a new euro game after kinda being away from them for awhile, it will remind you of why you've been avoiding them. Dry theme, boring artwork... but still, a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play mostly with 2: Keyflower! Especially if you like lots of player interaction and competitive play. Otherwise, Castles of Burgundy becomes an option.

If you play mostly with more players: Concordia or still Keyflower (which plays well up to the max count of 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
I voted Viticulture but, without actually playing it myself, Five Tribes looks like an interesting second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lake
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I voted for Castles of Burgundy because I think it's the best game on your list. After I started playing it, it completely replaced Catan for my gaming group. That being said, these are all great options. As others mentioned, the art and theme of Castles of Burgundy leaves something to be desired, but the mechanics are brilliant. My second choice would be Viticulture, which is the best (only?) worker placement game on your list (a la Agricola). I'd also suggest looking into Great Western Trail as a euro game with a very different set of mechanics and flavor than Catan and Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You already know the rules for Viticulture. Plant vines/seeds, harvest/pick grapes, crush/bottle grapes, sell wine. Everyone I've played it with loves it, especially my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
Thanks a lot for your comments so far everyone. Really appreciate it.

Geroid wrote:
You already know the rules for Viticulture. Plant vines/seeds, harvest/pick grapes, crush/bottle grapes, sell wine. Everyone I've played it with loves it, especially my wife.

Laisren wrote:
My second choice would be Viticulture, which is the best (only?) worker placement game on your list (a la Agricola). I'd also suggest looking into Great Western Trail as a euro game with a very different set of mechanics and flavor than Catan and Agricola.

Worker placement ... agriculture ... Viticulture almost sounds like Agricola all over again. And although I appreciate the mechanics of the latter, I think I'd rather look for something different.
(Lords of Waterdeep hits the table very frequently here, so I think I'm good in the Worker placement-department for now.)

Great Western Trail looks like a fresh take on eurogames, but the complexity rating of 3.70 is what put me off. The more complex a game gets, the less people I'll find who are willing to play it. And even if I would, I'm looking for a game where noobs (with gaming experience of course) can be competitive from the start, which isn't often the case with heavy games in my experience (Agricola f.ex.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
[q="usaretamA"]Worker placement ... agriculture ... Viticulture almost sounds like Agricola all over again. /q]

It's not as complex as Agricola, it is very quick, no punishing aspects at all or setback, it feels relaxing and then like a race, it's from the creator of Scythe, plus noobs and experienced players can enjoy it.

But if your not in to it then maybe Castles of Burgundy would be your best option for noods and experienced players to enjoy. Also Fresco, a painter earning a living in Rome, is fun and noob friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also said Concordia. Even better, it goes to 5 players.

You can't go wrong. Any one of these 6 would be a fine choice. If you can't decide, roll a die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
loon wrote:
I also said Concordia. Even better, it goes to 5 players.

You can't go wrong. Any one of these 6 would be a fine choice. If you can't decide, roll a die!

Good idea. He could also let his group vote, or let them each roll a die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone of Light
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes to Keyflower. If mechanics are what's important to you, there are very few games I've played that I can say I appreciate more on a mechanical level than Keyflower (if any). The combination of your Meeples acting as both currency for new tiles and workers to activate existing tiles leads to interesting decisions. Plus player interaction in this one is through the roof. Being able to activate tiles in another player's village (at the cost of them claiming the workers you used to activate it at the end of the season) along with how tiles can only be bid on and activated by the same color Meeples, means that there are plenty of opportunity to block your opponents (usually while claiming something nice for yourself at the same time).

Castles of Burgundy is good too. There's defiantly more ways to score points than Keyflower but I'd say it's less eye-catching or thematic than Keyflower (not by much, mind you, but Keyflower tiles definitely have nice artwork if you take the time to look past all the icon boxes overlapping it). Plus player interaction is practically non-existent. You can take a tile that you know your opponent might really like to have but, oftentimes, it's just better to go after something you need more.

Disclaimer: I have not played Viticulture, Marco Polo, or Five Tribes. Also, I've only played Concordia once online (and I'm still in the middle of that game), so my opinion is rather uninformed given the options listed in your poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that nearly all of these would be great choices. Keyflower is my favorite game EVVerr! so it's hard to not recommend that one. It is a VERY interactive euro in so many ways with very tense combination of auction and worker placement during the same phase. It also plays well at any count from 2 to 6. I've had this game for about 5 years now and have never grown tired of it which I really can't say about most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three I've played on your list are Keyflower, Concordia, and Castles of Burgundy, and given your criteria, I'd recommend them in that order. CoB is probably my favorite of those three, but falls a little short of your criteria (eye candy, player interaction). Keyflower has probably the most interaction, followed by Concordia. I love the mechanics of all three and they're all in my top 15 games. I much prefer CoB at 2P, for what that's worth.

Honestly I recommend all three, but if you had to get one (and again, given your criteria of preferring a little more interaction), I'd vote Keyflower.

Edit: And don't worry, I've also avoided buying Viticulture because I feel that I don't need yet another worker placement about farming. I'm sure it's a fine game, but I don't need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Con-con-concordia.

(Sung as in Duran Duran or Notorious B.I.G, take your pick.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Con-con-concordia.

(Sung as in Duran Duran or Notorious B.I.G, take your pick.)

Unfortunately you just made me imagine it like Phil Collins singing "Su-Sussudio"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played all but Five Tribes. Each at least twice but none more than 5 times. Polo is the one I would pick up for myself, it tickles all the right strings for me, challenging, interaction, worker placement, variable, good with various player counts. Castles is the easiest to learn in my opinion with Viticulture close behind. Viticulture has a luck of the card draw that can be king-making. Concordia is the one I would choose for deep strategy, enjoy it a lot too but I think it plays best with 4, isn’t as tight with 2. Keyflower was ok, but didn’t leave me wanting more. It’s the only one that we learned from a non-owner so no one was very invested in teaching well which likely affected our depth of understanding and enjoyment.

All are obviously good games (see rankings) so watch a video of each before you buy to see how they’ll mesh with your interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
Thanks for the input everyone.

Concordia clearly gets most of the votes, but I'm quite intrigued by Keyflower as well. The people who like it really seem to like it a lot, and care to comment why they like it so much. And that's not really the case (or less) for the other games on the list.

Hmm, this is going to be a tough one ... knowing myself, I might end up getting both Unless they are quite similar mechanics-wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can watch a
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
runthrough of them, so you can get a feel of the gameplay of each:

Concordia Gameplay Runthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bncw0QXWI

Keyflower Gameplay Runthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2NKgzLpviA

He rates them as the following:

Keyflower: 9.55
Concordia: 8.6

And Keyflower is 8th on Rahdo's game list. Concordia is 48.

http://timbal.es/stuff/rahdo-video-list.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Cooper
United Kingdom
Newtownabby
Antrim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of the above.

I love both Keyflower and Viticulture, while Marco Polo is my favourite game, but each these have more to teach and subtilties are learned through many more plays of the game compared to Concordia.

I've found Concordia to be one of the simplest games to teach with some really smart player interaction (without direct conflict) which allows players to try different strategies right out the gate.

I'd buy Concordia, and presuming that goes well, I wouldn't bat an eyelid ordering the other 3 also.

Castles of Burgundy and Five Tribes are great, but the other 4 shine IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.