United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I have so much nostalgia for Fireball Island and I want to pledge. I have some concerns about the stability that we're seeing on the prototype displayed in the campaign.

There are several gifs of the fireballs coming down the island and elsewhere a visitor is vibrating into another square or in the case of the cataclysm picture someone untouched by the fireballs falls off their spot all together just due to the vibration of the many marbles cascading down the island.

I know this is a prototype, but I wonder if this is a symptom of the three unattached pieces being connected how they are. I know it's been traveling and people have had a chance to play, so I'm curious how big of a problem this actually is.

It's a minor concern, but it is a concern.

I figured I'd try here before I tossed a dollar donation at the campaign to ask questions in the comments.

Please know that this is not me dinging the game or Restoration Games, I've been sharing all the news they've shared about this game. I'm excited for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Broussard
United States
Carencro
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think one of the main mechanics is for minis to get moved around a lot, (fall over and lose treasure etc.)so to some degree I think they want the vibrations so the minis shift a space here and there. It might add to the suspense "oh no is my guy gonna fall over?!, whew no he stayed up but he just got jostled a couple spaces over so now I can keep my treasure but am two spaces farther from that other treasure I was heading for" (for example)

I am just a fan though so I have no idea. I also noticed that issue and was concerned but now I am cool with it for the above reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Broussard
United States
Carencro
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
also very sorry man, I missed the part about the fireballs falling off their spots at first and I hastily answered anyway! lol. yes that also concerns me too. I had not noticed that until now. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a prototype, and we're working closely with the manufacturer to optimize the trays. A few things. The trays are actually more stable as three separate trays because the gaps reduce the vibrations from one part of the board to the other. It's also true that a little flexibility in the board makes it more durable. A brittle board is more likely to break. Just on JR's road trip, he's already played more than 50 games and more than 200 player-hours, and the board is none the worse for wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The components list includes two cardboard scrims, so I would expect them to provide some additional stability since the top board won't be able to wobble down as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roll Damn Tide!
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three times and never had a problem with what you’re describing. I knocked some of the snakes out of their detentes while resetting marbles a couple times, but that was it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manfred v2.0
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a good question Dusty, but I wouldn't worry about it.

I played the prototype and at first was very concerned about touching the board or hitting the table and accidentally knocking over a figure or setting loose an ember/snake marble. I realized though, as we started playing, that my worry was unfounded.

Minis were moved/knocked over, and marbles were set loose on accident but it didn't happen that much. And when it did we just put everything back where it started and moved on. No treasure was lost unless it was a legitimate hit by a marble. And even one time when we couldn't remember exactly which space a mini had started in, we just took our best guess. If you're not paying attention to your own model, and the other folks aren't either, it probably doesn't matter that much.

Personally, I would not let concerns of stability stop me from backing this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answering friends!

Just want to say that marbles cascading down the island is intentional - it’s buikt so that sometimes marbles coming out of Vul-Kar will knock other marbles around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it last night (the tour was in Pittsburgh) and I didn't find the bouncing of chips to be bothersome at all. I never played or heard of the original but I had fun playing this one. I backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I played it last night (the tour was in Pittsburgh) and I didn't find the bouncing of chips to be bothersome at all. I never played or heard of the original but I had fun playing this one. I backed it.

It was great to see y'all there! Thanks for coming by and trying it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.