Subject: EURO's with Exciting Themes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
My 10 year old likes Champions of Midgar, but he hates playing any game with a non-action-movie type theme, like Fresco (which I think is great). Are there any other thinking games with action-movie style themes? If it has cool components as well then he'd love that. Small World, and Colt are too chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep

Blood Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Henning
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe might be good. Ascension or Thunderstone if you like deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These aren't all action movie themes, but they're relatively exciting themes on some great euros:

Chimera Station - aliens! (with actual aliens you snap together and customize throughout the game)

Spirit Island - cooperative game where you're mystical spirits protecting an island from human colonizing invaders

Covert - intel gathering, code-breaking spies!

Dungeon Petz - you're imps breeding, caring for, and selling adorably hideous pet monsters

Above and Below/ Near and Far - both are excellent euro games set in the same beautiful fantasy world, and story telling is a big part of gameplay

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - post-apocalyptic dystopian freedom fighters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:
My 10 year old likes Champions of Midgar, but he hates playing any game with a non-action-movie type theme, like Fresco (which I think is great). Are there any other thinking games with action-movie style themes? If it has cool components as well then he'd love that. Small World, and Colt are too chaotic.

Is it just the two of you playing? If not how many players typically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try these:

Above and Below

Dinosaur Island

The Godfather: Corleone's Empire

Dungeon Petz or Dungeon Lords

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)

Super Motherload

Tiny Epic Western or Tiny Epic Western

Deadwood

The Quest for El Dorado

Ethnos

Might be able to find something cool among those. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe another way to go would be to find some action movies about farming and trading. First I thought of is Witness with Harrison Ford.

Speaking of whom, in honor of the dude who made archeology an action romp, how about Thebes.

And if you're willing to take the action to the stars (slightly different genre), Star Realms or for something more thinky, Race for the Galaxy, especially with the first three expansions (when you finally get a shot at taking over other people's planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
nickismyname wrote:
Scythe might be good. Ascension or Thunderstone if you like deckbuilding.

Thanks I like playing Scythe. But for my son 1 or 2 mech fights over 2 hours in not enough action for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
goldengamer wrote:
Geroid wrote:

Is it just the two of you playing? If not how many players typically?

2 player = 25% of the time
3 player = 50% of the time
4 player = 25% of the time

So 3+ players 75% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Adrenaline?

I don't know if it's still available but Mechs vs. Minions is super.

I think that most of Plaid Hat's games would fall into this category. Perhaps City of Remnants

+1 to Blood Rage and Covert.

Probably any of the deck builders by upper deck would be good (though I've only playedLegendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game once.

Hope that helps.

Sprout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks wreadsiii, I will check out Chimera Station, and Spirit Island.

Thanks Mike, to my "to-check-out" list I will also add Tiny Epic Western, Deadwood, and The Quest for El Dorado.

Thanks Klaus, Star Realms might be good for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sprout wrote:
How about Adrenaline?

I think that most of Plaid Hat's games would fall into this category. Perhaps City of Remnants

Probably any of the deck builders by upper deck would be good (though I've only playedLegendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game once.

Hope that helps.

Sprout

Mechs vs. Minions would be perfect but it's $180. Legendary involves too many cards to read with linking concepts to play smoothly with a 10 year old. Does Blood Rage use cards with lots of text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
If he likes "fights" and confrontation, Dogs of War is an amazing interactive euro with nice components. It's pretty simple rules wise but may be a bit advanced fin terms of strategy for a 10 year old. Then again, he seems to already play some pretty "grown up" games so maybe not. It is really only great with 4 or 5 players though.

A simpler game with some adventure, excitement, and a beautiful board would be Tobago. No direct conflict but interaction between players is high and the exploration theme works great with the mechanics on this one.

I think Survive: Escape from Atlantis! would probably be a great option and it also has a space themed alternative if that seems more attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks Chris. He's only rates Tobago a 5. But I really like it.

How does Survive play out. I watched a video of it and it seems chaotic like Small World. Looks like people are just reacting and can't really plan 2 or 3 rounds ahead as everything will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:

-Lost Temple
-Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

If you're willing to extend a little bit outside of Euros (some are Family, some more Ameritrash):

-The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
-Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar (Kickstarter is live for that one!)
-The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
-Arkham Horror or maybe one of the lighter/more streamlined Arkham ones (like Elder Sign)
-King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not lots of text with Blood Rage, but some. Hmm...

What about the Clank! games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to mission red planet and dungeon petz

Also:
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure or the space version
Among the Stars is almost like space version of seven wonders
Sewer Pirats has cool minis
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Yedo for a harder and more thematic lords of water deep
Steam Park has cool fair ground rides
Steampunk Rally has cool machines
Galaxy of Trian if you can get it as like carcassonne although a little more complex but in space and has ships which can be a little more interactive
Vast: The Crystal Caverns you can play as the dragon, knight or even the cave etc.
Overlords of Infamy - well apparently kids seem to like it!
Maybe Black Fleet or Merchants & Marauders for pirates?

What about Raptor for a cool two player game?

We prefer Room 25 with season 2 expansion (must have) to colt express as more of a puzzle to it and a little less chaotic in feel although you can die in toxic rooms but cool robots and tonnes of stuff.

We prefer The Downfall of Pompeii to survive

You could try The Battle at Kemble's Cascade but it's a love or hate game I suppose but it's surprisingly euro and slow and thinky but has mega guns and big bosses.

I'm wanting the upcoming Western Legends too for cowboys

No don't get me wrong, I'm not at all suggesting that these are the normal top games I would normally suggest but just thought I'd list a few rarely mentioned as they have a little more theme in regards to action or nice components so maybe just take a look and see if any would actually suit you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:

How does Survive play out. I watched a video of it and it seems chaotic like Small World. Looks like people are just reacting and can't really plan 2 or 3 rounds ahead as everything will be different.

True, if you thought small world was too chaotic, you may feel the same about Survive. Survive is probably MORE chaotic but it's quicker and lighter so to me the chaos is less annoying in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:
Geroid wrote:

True, if you thought small world was too chaotic, you may feel the same about Survive. Survive is probably MORE chaotic but it's quicker and lighter so to me the chaos is less annoying in this one.

Same with Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition).
It's one of my favorite games, but it's also pretty chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geroid wrote:
Sprout wrote:
How about Adrenaline?

Hope that helps.

Sprout

Mechs vs. Minions would be perfect but it's $180. Legendary involves too many cards to read with linking concepts to play smoothly with a 10 year old. Does Blood Rage use cards with lots of text?

Mechs vs Minions is $75 plus shipping off Riot Game's website. They're the ones who make the game, and it's always that price if you buy it from them.

Does shipping to Ireland add $105?

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I didn't know about ordering from their website. Thanks for the link Veero. I just tied, and it's only U.S and Canada.

On amazon UK it is about £180 pound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks Sarah. Sewer Pirates and Raptor might do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato or Puzzle Strike (Third Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to ninjato.

If you wanted mech vs minions, you can buy it brand new and still sealed from someone in the uk on this site for £90 plus postage here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1425292

There's also a used one for £70.

Zatu were selling it, you could maybe contact them to see if due back in stock:

https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/mechs-vs-minions/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.