War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: the fellowship of the ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matija Kompan
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. My friend has WotR and we played two times. First time was more of a learning game, the second was more competative. But what I notice was that my friend who played the free people didn't moved the fellowship at all. So I was wondering is that a stratagy or not? Since there is nothing specific on the rules that would say he needs to or dosen't need to move it...i might also have it wrong. But the point here is that i got triggered by this kind of gameplay. I actully couldn't win with military and i couldn't progress coruption since he didn't move. Was he playing correctly or did we miss somthing in the rules that prevents stalling like that. Thank you for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstralWolf91 wrote:
Hey guys. My friend has WotR and we played two times. First time was more of a learning game, the second was more competative. But what i notice as is that my friend who played the free people didn't moved the fellowship at all. So I was wondering is that a stratagy or not? Since there is nothing specific on the rules that would say he needs to or dosen't need to move it...i might also have it wrong. But the point here is that i got triggered by this kind of gameplay. I actully couldn't win with military and i couldn't progress coruption since he didn't move. Was he playing correctly or did we miss somthing in the rules that prevents stalling like that. Thank you for your answer.

If he never moves the Fellowship, the Shadow player should be able to grind out a military victory pretty easily. It becomes a simple game of attrition since your units keep coming back but Free People casualties are removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Kompan
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast replay I understand now. Hmmm i also think we missplayed fights in strongholds. I will check the rules again on siege. I hope i win the next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I was going to say that a straight-up military victory for the FP is almost an impossibility without having SP forces occupied by the Fellowship unless you have a very experienced FP player and a rookie SP player .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
reemer wrote:
Yeah I was going to say that a straight-up military victory for the FP is almost an impossibility without having SP forces occupied by the Fellowship unless you have a very experienced FP player and a rookie SP player .
Without very poor SP dice rolls, it's nigh impossible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Kompan
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But can any FP armies capture any of SP territories if those are not at war?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
AstralWolf91 wrote:
But can any FP armies capture any of SP territories of those are not at war?

The FP can capture a SP stronghold as long as the FP army is "at war."

In this scenario it doesn't matter if the SP is "at war."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Kompan
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, thank you for your answer, i understand now what went wrong with the games we played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I won't call it impossible, but if the FP goes for a military victory from the start, their chances of winning decrease dramatically. This is mainly due to the fact that the FP armies once eliminated can never be brought back into play (as was mentioned earlier). Another reason this doesn't usually work out is the dice disadvantage at the start of the game (4 to 7) and the shear amount of muster dice it takes to get FP armies to war compared to the SP.

However, one interesting note on this strategy is that most of the SP combat cards are geared towards attacking (not defending). Meaning, many of their cards will sacrifice units to increase their chances of hitting in combat or their cards will increase the chances that both armies score hits in combat. This all boils down to say it is possible the SP will not have proper combat cards to defend a stronghold to the best of their abilities. In contrast, nearly all of the FP combat cards are helpful in both defense and offense. Many of the FP combat cards are made even better if a companion is in the battle, and if you are truly going for a FP military victory, they usually are.

Another thing to consider is that even though the SP armies can respawn if they are killed, they are still limited in number. Meaning if you see the SP has recruited most of their units onto the board of a particular nation, try attacking a stronghold from the same nation that will be difficult to send reinforcements to. For instance, if the SP has sent all of their armies in Mordor up North and also recruited heavily in the North, they may only have a few regulars left in the reinforcement pool. This means if you attack Mordor they will not be able to mount a proper defense. It's all about looking for opportunities when you are attacking (with the FP or SP).

Suffice it to say that if the SP is competent, the FP need to not waste a many if any dice. They need to move their companions and armies with a purpose and strike where the SP is most vulnerable. If they do this, then it will be a very interesting game even if they don't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.