Total Cards: (68)

Hero: (3)
1x Thalin (Core Set)
1x Gloin (Core Set)
1x Dwalin (Khazad-dum)

Ally: (25)
3x Erebor Record Keeper (Khazad-dum)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Longbeard Map-Maker (Conflict at the Carrock)
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer (Core Set)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)
2x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)
2x Gleowine (Core Set)
3x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
3x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
2x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)

Attachment: (17)
2x A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock)
2x Ancient Mathom (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
3x Boots from Erebor (Khazad-dum)
2x Dunedain Warning (Conflict at the Carrock)
2x Dwarrowdelf Axe (Khazad-dum)
3x Narvi's Belt (Khazad-dum)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Event: (26)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
2x Ancestral Knowledge (Khazad-dum)
2x Durin's Song (Khazad-dum)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
2x Khazad! Khazad! (Khazad-dum)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Radagast's Cunning (Core Set)
2x Rumour from the Earth (Return to Mirkwood)
2x Strider's Path (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Shadow of the Past (Return to Mirkwood)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

Side Quest: (0)

Trying out a deck built around three Dwarves from Thorin Oakenshield's party and trying to build a Dwarf deck without Dain. I'm looking for advice on the deck above, specifically on cards that could be cut. I don't mind a big deck, but 68 cards seems steep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this to play solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TempestBlade wrote:
Is this to play solo?

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I agree that looks a bit bloated. It looks as if you feel there are a lot of cards that are so good you should just be including them.

I could suggest improvements but which quest are you hoping to use this on?

As a general rule, I'm going to say, that generally there are only so many capabilities that one needs in a deck and after picking the most appropriate cards for those capabilities, the only reason to add more is to adjust the ratio of how much of them you need. The ratio of how much you need things depends a lot on the scenario you're playing.

A few suggestions even without knowing which scenario:
--Shadows of the past seems a very odd choice to me. It's better in solo than it would be otherwise but it costs quite a bit and it's only really useful if the card on top of the discard pile is significantly less dangerous than a random card on top of the deck.
--If you are not playing a scenario with any location that is particularly nasty as the active location, Ancestral Knowledge will almost always be more costly than other questing boosters without really being better. Even when you're getting four progress, that's one mana and exhaust a dwarf get +4 questing that doesn't protect you from questing unsuccessfully. You'd generally be better off getting a bonus to questing power. If you're running it I'm assuming you're thinking of doing the Moria missions in which case you're likely to be running into very high threat locations where Radagast's cunning will likely provide as much or more progress net and not require you to exhaust a dwarf. On the more expensive spirit side, you could run untroubled by darkness which is much stronger for pushing to close out a quest.
--I'm not sure what you have in the way of leadership allies, but Guard of the Citadel is pretty poor value for cost and isn't a dwarf. You could probably find better. In some of the mines missions, even the Sons of Arnor from the core set would be better as they let you pick off scouts and snipers.
--Much like Shadow of the Past, rumor of the earth is better in solo play than it'd otherwise be, but the odds of it helping you greatly are still low relative to the odds that it'll just be a lost card. Rather than spending one mana to return it to your hand, you'd often be better playing the 1-cost ally from the core set who can scry every turn for the rest of the game or help quest/fight/chump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velensk wrote:
I agree that looks a bit bloated. It looks as if you feel there are a lot of cards that are so good you should just be including them.

I could suggest improvements but which quest are you hoping to use this on?

As a general rule, I'm going to say, that generally there are only so many capabilities that one needs in a deck and after picking the most appropriate cards for those capabilities, the only reason to add more is to adjust the ratio of how much of them you need. The ratio of how much you need things depends a lot on the scenario you're playing.

A few suggestions even without knowing which scenario:
--Shadows of the past seems a very odd choice to me. It's better in solo than it would be otherwise but it costs quite a bit and it's only really useful if the card on top of the discard pile is significantly less dangerous than a random card on top of the deck.
--If you are not playing a scenario with any location that is particularly nasty as the active location, Ancestral Knowledge will almost always be more costly than other questing boosters without really being better. Even when you're getting four progress, that's one mana and exhaust a dwarf get +4 questing that doesn't protect you from questing unsuccessfully. You'd generally be better off getting a bonus to questing power. If you're running it I'm assuming you're thinking of doing the Moria missions in which case you're likely to be running into very high threat locations where Radagast's cunning will likely provide as much or more progress net and not require you to exhaust a dwarf. On the more expensive spirit side, you could run untroubled by darkness which is much stronger for pushing to close out a quest.
--I'm not sure what you have in the way of leadership allies, but Guard of the Citadel is pretty poor value for cost and isn't a dwarf. You could probably find better. In some of the mines missions, even the Sons of Arnor from the core set would be better as they let you pick off scouts and snipers.
--Much like Shadow of the Past, rumor of the earth is better in solo play than it'd otherwise be, but the odds of it helping you greatly are still low relative to the odds that it'll just be a lost card. Rather than spending one mana to return it to your hand, you'd often be better playing the 1-cost ally from the core set who can scry every turn for the rest of the game or help quest/fight/chump.

Most likely Khazad Dum but in general just trying out a Dwarf deck that doesn't include Dain.

Agreed on Shadows. I like the card, but the more I look at it I suppose it is rather situational.

Untroubled by Darkness would probably be the better card. I like the Ancestral Knowledge because I can ready that Dwar with the Record Keeper, but at that point it is the same cost wise and is kind of set up heavy.

I like Guard of the Citadel as a cheap Ally, but I agree, he's probably better replaced by Sons of Arnor or possibly Faramir.

I like Rumours from the Earth over Henamarth only because I don't have to risk him being killed off by things like Necromancer's Reach, but I agree it is more expensive. My preference is also entirely theory, not actual play based.

Thanks for the advice, I'm still getting the hang on building decks myself. I've played some of the really nice ones online and tweaked them here and there, but this is my first time really doing one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised the deck. Tried to incorporate some suggestions but still keep the core/theme of the deck I was going for.

Total Cards: (52)

Hero: (3)
1x Thalin (Core Set)
1x Gloin (Core Set)
1x Dwalin (Khazad-dum)

Ally: (19)
3x Erebor Record Keeper (Khazad-dum)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer (Core Set)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)
2x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)
2x Gleowine (Core Set)
3x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)

Attachment: (15)
2x Ancient Mathom (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
3x Boots from Erebor (Khazad-dum)
2x Dunedain Warning (Conflict at the Carrock)
2x Dwarrowdelf Axe (Khazad-dum)
2x Narvi's Belt (Khazad-dum)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)
1x Horn of Gondor (Core Set)

Event: (18)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
2x Durin's Song (Khazad-dum)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
2x Khazad! Khazad! (Khazad-dum)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Rumour from the Earth (Return to Mirkwood)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

Side Quest: (0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.