Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Failed miserably the first. Since then a solid bout of MtG and a renewed respect for deck building. Hoping to find someone on their way out with a large collection. How cool would it be to be into this game. In fact, of all the games I know of, and that's quite a few, this one appears to have the biggest upside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tempest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you struggle to find a seller, you could always give Arkham LCG a go, mechanically far superior but obviously se disparities in theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're patient you can probably find pretty complete collections on eBay. I know I've seen them listed there before but have never done the math to see what the discount might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is tempting for several reason, improved play and earlier entry into the game but it lacks that one important factor, a meaningful identification with the characters.

Have been checking eBay and there are some options. Was hoping maybe someone might find me here.

It's funny, I've been deeply into miniature gaming mode of late and while I enjoy the visual, clever tactical and even strategic aspects, I am left a bit cold with a deeper immersion into story. There are plenty of story based games around but that's not so much me either, really. If I'm going to invest in story it damn well better be something I hold in highest esteem. Gloomhaven didn't work nor did 7th C. Those were stories for the sake of story telling. I guess I just don't invest easily.

Funny too, but I had a copy of the Collector's Edition of War of the Ring but it did not provide the thematic hook I feel is possible with LotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven was a dud too in our group. Folklore: The Affliction had better story telling aspects. But honestly our group is still having a lot of fun with Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients. Yes, everything is a random crapshoot, but we seem to take enjoyment in creating a story from all the random elements. Why are these gunmen fighting alongside giant spiders? Oh remember 3 rooms back when we met other gunmen? They must have told us there was cooler stuff down here! etc.

Anyways, LotR is a lot of fun, even immersive if you take the time to make your decks highly thematic. It's real easy to create the "master" min/max deck that beats everything, but then it never feels very thematic. I like doing odd combinations, like all Hobbits, or all Silvan Elves (well, as much as possible). Makes for more of a challenge and a fun time.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame you don't live in the UK as I'll be selling my collection shortly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Arkham Horror is tempting for several reason, improved play and earlier entry into the game but it lacks that one important factor, a meaningful identification with the characters.

Really? In Arkham you play one character during the series of scenarios. In LOTR you play 3 characters in standalone games (mostly) and you change them all the time.

Anyway, I think that both games are quite different, even though Arkham Horror is sorta evolved version of LOTR. I like both and will continue to play both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
Robbage wrote:

Really? In Arkham you play one character during the series of scenarios. In LOTR you play 3 characters in standalone games (mostly) and you change them all the time.

Anyway, I think that both games are quite different, even though Arkham Horror is sorta evolved version of LOTR. I like both and will continue to play both.

I agree with your assessment, however, sometimes I wish FFG would go back and offer a LotR and GoT versions of their Agenda / Encounter decks. sigh. Still love LotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding that 'meaningful identification with the characters remark', I meant that because of a deep connection with the literary work and with several characters in particular, the ability to play them and see through their eyes as the story unfolds, would be meaningful to me.

It's harder for me jump right in and adopt or fabricate a connection with a new character. Not to put too fine a point on it but the whole going off on adventure aspect that bit Frodo and Bilbo left such an impression on me that I attribute it as maybe the single most powerful motivator in the decision to take off on my own adventure (replete with dragons). I went off for three months on a solo kayak journey around the perimeter of a huge island off the coast of BC when I was in my late forties and if I could rekindle some of the heat from that blaze I would happily sit back and warm my feet in front of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thanks, Droogy—wish I could afford to bring it over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might jump into deep water and start swimming with the LotR Saga material. I've heard the Hobbit Saga wasn't the best but that the LotR was quite good.

So looking to fill in those blanks with a core or two and get underway. That's what, not counting the Hobbits, 4 or 6 expansions/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
I think I might jump into deep water and start swimming with the LotR Saga material. I've heard the Hobbit Saga wasn't the best but that the LotR was quite good.

So looking to fill in those blanks with a core or two and get underway. That's what, not counting the Hobbits, 4 or 6 expansions/

You mean the movies or the game? lol. I think the Hobbit is fine if you want to make dwarf decks. Never honestly played the quests. But great player cards. I haven't bought the LOTR saga quests yet. Still need to get them myself. This is like the third or fourth time I've gotten into the game. Maybe I'll get smart one of these days and quit selling it. Hmm.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meant the Hobbit Saga for the game, heard two or three mildy disparaging remarks. And I hear you on cycling in and out as well. Hoping I can make it stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate smiled on me yesterday and I met the man whose collection I will take over. Quite excited about it!

I had a question that I haven't quite answered by searching the forum here and elsewhere. I have played before but don't remember much of it and have no knowledge of the more sophisticated aspects of of the game. So question . . .

Not saying I'm going to do this necessarily but what if a guy took a complete set of cards from the game and sorted them into four or five categories. Say, put heroes in binder and then, hopefully, all of the remaining player cards, whatever you call them, events and attachments, allys and such, all of these sorted by sphere and fitting in more binders also, maybe quite a few. There'd be a number of binders per sphere but these could subdivided by type. Allies and attachments binders and events and what have you, binders?

If that's a reasonable idea, then I could sit in bed with a cup of coffee and browse the material from which I make my decks. Not much at all of deck builder I am determined to try and turn that around with this game. So much of the enjoyment then could come in the pre-play phase. Duh. That's where I'm at with it.

But then, what about the the other stuff? Are these pretty much broken down into scenarios as a common denominator? Two or three scenarios per cycle or whatever, but would be kept intact and handy so that they could be simply taken up and placed on the table beside my deck. So all scenarios kept in order in their place in the cycle then.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
A complete set is a ton of cards.

I don't have anywhere near a complete set but with a decently large collection, my player cards nearly fill a single (fairly large) binder. With a complete set, divided by sphere (with campaign and neutral being combined) I imagine that one moderate sized binder per sphere would provide enough space. So five moderate sized binders.

For encounter cards,the thing that makes the most sense would be to store the cards that might need to be used together together. Mostly that would be a deluxe set and it's cycle to do would probably be if you could somehow find a set of boxes that are the appropriate size for a deluxe set +the scenarios in their cycle. Get one of those for each cycle and another one for the saga campaigns, and then another one for the standalone adventures and nightmare stuff. Throwing in the hobbit and the fact that I'm not sure all of the saga campaign would fit into one cycle sized box and so add one to the total. Counting like that, you'd need eleven of these boxes currently.

So five moderate sized binders and eleven 'deluxe+cycle worth of encounter cards' sized boxes or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks on that, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I can see the distinction between material I want to have close at hand to browse and build decks with and the encounter material nested in a second tier storage solution.

Might need to add a new wing to the house but I think it'll work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.