Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs. Persians» Forums » General

Subject: Quantity vs. Quality well represented? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game both players have the same number of pieces included in the game.
order to be able to use all / near all of both sides in a game-box, the armies have nearly the same point-value.

I think the conflict of quality vs qunatity, which often occured in history is not very well represented because of that.

Shoukldn't it be rather so, that perhaps 40% of the tiles should be Macedonians and 60% Persian, with more, but weaker units for the Persians?

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Live free or die
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, 1/2 the point of the system is composing your army to meet the available points for the scenario. I rarely (if ever) play a game using all of the pieces on each side.

Even at that, you can compose the armies into a lesser number of large deployments or a greater number of smaller deployments.

Both of those give a satisfactory flexibility to vary the style on each side.

Of course the system leans closer to the game end of the spectrum as opposed to the simulation end, so your main point does have some validity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dans the Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play 60 points per side, so quite often one side has fewer, more powerful units and the other has lots of weaker ones. 60 points only uses about half the total points in an army so there are plenty of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.