YINSH» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using pieces to play other Gipf games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Law
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I just received my copy of Yinsh from Amazon.de, it was so much cheaper than the eBay and US domestic Amazon listings, so I am very happy paying ~35 USD for it.

Anyways, my question/idea is regarding "cross-compatibility" of various GIPF series games. It seems that the Yinsh pieces could easily be used to play GIPF. Additionally, perhaps other GIPF series games may likewise be able to used to play others in the series.

Have any of you guys done so? If so, which GIPF game did you use to play what other GIPF game? Additionally, have you noticed any quality differences between the Huch & Friends edition vs. the Rio Grande Games edition, and which did you prefer and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All the boards and pieces are subtly different. Of course you can ignore the aesthetics and improvise a board and pieces someway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Besides the board shapes being different, there is also the issue that YINSH pieces in particular would not stack well, which would be an obvious problem for trying to play DVONN (which also needs 3 red pieces) and TZAAR (which also needs several types of each player's color) with them. And ZERTZ needs 3 colors of pieces (the balls that are stacked onto rings). Of course PUNCT would be very challenging to play with YINSH pieces.

So no, I don't think it's very practical to play the other GIPF series games with YINSH pieces. (But you could indeed play GIPF itself, if you really wanted to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Law
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sorry, I did not literally mean using one Gipf Series game to play all others, but rather, 'consolidating' the number of games used. For example, I think I have heard of some people using Tzaar to play Dvonn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.