Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Playing scenarios as “one-offs”: Balance question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hogan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I played this with a friend last night for the first time. I’ve played a lot of Descent 2e and this felt pretty familiar. I should say up front that while I finished the Descent campaign, at the end of it I wasn’t keen to keep playing. My take was that while the win/loss ratio was fairly balanced, the missions themselves felt like fairly one sided affairs.

My actual question is about balance. We were playing the Jabba’s Realm expansion, but just picking and choosing missions rather than starting with the first one (the prologue?). We played story mission 1 (the spice barrels) and 2 (working with a bounty hunter to kill an imperial officer). Would the balance have been shifted by neither side having spent XP or equipment/influence beforehand or should it kind of balance out? There were 2 of us as rebels and it felt kind of one sided. I’m just wondering if that’s on us or if having better abilities and equipment might have levelled the playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as I know,having played IA and D2E that you should be able to play any scenario in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Voss
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Story missions expect you to have spent a certain amount of XP and credits, yes. These make it easier to kill Imperial units. Each mission has a number of initial groups and reserved groups that become progressively harder to kill. If Rebels go at them with their starter kits, they will lose. Moreover, the threat level also goes up throughout the campaign, which will also give the Rebels bigger challenges.

Besides, Jabba's Realm has several story missions where the balance isn't exactly perfect. The opening mission is quite Rebel-sided and the two story mission you've played are (imho) quite Empire-sided. On the other hand, playing with two heroes instead of four is usually in favour of the Rebels, so I'm not sure how it plays out in this case...

I recommend you to play a full campaign, ideally with four heroes. A full-length campaign like Jabba's Realm might be a big much though if you're not sure you like it. Does your friend have Twin Shadows or The Bespin Gambit? These campaigns are shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Side missions are usually expected to not be the "first mission". Edit: And like Lathuvan says above, story missions are balanced for some average rewards.

So, if you play one-offs, I suggest using the minicampaign rules to set up with 3 XP and some credits (plus maybe one free agenda card for the imperial). It's also possible to simulate the mission being later in a campaign, there's an average rewards table somewhere here.

See:
Re: How long to finish a campaign?
Epic Play Variant?

There are probably others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a few rules to do this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132078/singles-missions-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.