John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone created invitations for Sherlock Holmes games in the Victorian period style? I would like to either email out or snail mail invites to players for a game at my place with some drinks and dinner or dessert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but I think it's a great idea. In the past, when I have wanted to create an 'old-fashioned' look, I have soaked the paper in tea to get a parchment feel.

However, for e-mail, soaking your computer in tea doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually my personal recommendation not to play it with a 'group' in a classic sense. It plays best with just 2-3 players in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it does play best with not more than 2-3 players. In our group, I read the booklet, another player reads the Times newspaper, and another takes notes and studies the map.

But if you want to create your own invitations (and possibly share your template to the FILES section here [hint, hint, whistle]), the awesome Custom Mistery Pack is a great place to start. It has PDF's, Fonts, and a few images (such as a parchment paper background). I would suggest using something like Adobe Acrobat Pro, or a free online service like PDFaid.com to extract all the images from the PDF's, so you have more to work with.

I used the Custom Mistery Pack exclusively to create the Case Notes Booklet (another useful addition for taking notes and recording your play sessions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
It's actually my personal recommendation not to play it with a 'group' in a classic sense. It plays best with just 2-3 players in my opinion.

Yes, I think you're more assured of it working well with 2 to 3. But on the other hand, I have played with groups of 8, and know of others who have done that too, and it has worked really well. Once you get to 5+ players, it can be more difficult to manage decisions and some may feel excluded or unable to contribute, but if you have the right group it can be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but maybe you'd like to include a menu in your invites:
https://boardgamemenu.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! James, I have used the Case Note Booklet and might use that as an invite. Armand, interesting site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.